IGNORED

650 GS twin coming to US

baggerchris

With a hurricane bearing down on her, Jean is dreaming of new bikes :clap::thumbsup:

I think it would be a perfect next bike for you if you decided the Ninja was due for replacement.

Jan

Okay, I'm changing Jean's password so she cannot log on to the board for 30 days!

The big GS is interesting tho, but I also like the Aprilia Shiver!

Okay I went and sat on the F650GS Iceberg Silver. I like that color! They put the lower seat on for me but the bike would have to be lowered too and then it is still questionable. It is really really really nice. I guess I need to wait for Sharon's test ride and report before I think about dreaming any further on the subject. The one at the dealer is available but if it goes they will be getting more.

So I wait........... :lurk:

When are you going to test ride one Sharon????????????

Okay I went and sat on the F650GS Iceberg Silver. I like that color! They put the lower seat on for me but the bike would have to be lowered too and then it is still questionable. It is really really really nice. I guess I need to wait for Sharon's test ride and report before I think about dreaming any further on the subject. The one at the dealer is available but if it goes they will be getting more.

So I wait........... :lurk:

When are you going to test ride one Sharon????????????

Jean, the factory lowered one is out there, at least there was one (sold, but there) at our dealer. Find out if there is one of those somewhere near you and take a look at it. With the low seat, it's very low.

Our dealer has no demo bike. The only way you get to ride one is with a deposit. Sharon made the deposit and is in line for the next bike that comes in. She can ride it before she completes the sale, and then either go forward or back out.

They are not saying when that may be. We'll just have to wait. There are none available in any of the nearby States either. We've called. Some dealers have deep waiting lists for the 650.

The 800 is is even more back ordered. I guess there are 8 deposits here in SLC. Boise told me they had twelve or thirteen deposits, and that everyone else does too.

Must have been the standard version. The low one, is . . . well, really low. I was flat footed with my knees bent on that one.

I had a brief chance at an iceberg silver one on Thursday, the guy who ordered it told the dealer he had decided not to get it, then changed his mind again and bought the bike (before I got the message and called back several hours later).

The salesman says he will find me a red one, but its difficult to predict when. I asked him to use his influence as the number one BMW motorcycle salesman in Utah :/ with BMW NA to get me a bike. :grin:

Until they have a bike for me, no test ride. :cry: Over on the F800 forum people who ordered bikes last spring are still waiting. One fellow's dealer told him his bike was shipped two weeks ago; he thinks he will get his bike next week.

It will be interesting to see how quickly the orders are filled.

They have had an F800Gs for a week at our dealer. They have not said if it was sold but it is still there?? It is a black and grey one.

Any way a young salesman at the shop with no experience didn't think the F650Gs would be much lower. But I knew you would know the truth!! Okay I'm going to surf the net and see if there is another dealer close and see if they have a low one. It sure is cute! :thumbsup:

Jean,

I couldn't touch the ground on the 800 with the regular seat. With the low seat, I could just barely get both toes down, probably slightly taller than my RT.

The 800GS has a 21" front wheel--the 650 has 19" if I recall correctly; the 800 has taller suspension and is intended to be more of an off-road bike than the 650. The 650 is slightly less weight, maybe 20 pounds, but I thought both bikes were relatively light.

I understand that hyperpro has or is about to come out with lowered suspension options for the 800.

I'll let you know what I think after I get to ride one, but from what our salesman said, you might have a better chance of getting a demo ride than me.

Just to clarify, the one you sat on was a standard suspension F 650 GS with a standard seat?

I'm pretty sure you know all this, but just to be sure:

There is also a low seat for the F650 GS.

Additionally, there is a low suspension (factory lowered) version.

The standard bike with the standard seat is 32.2" seat height, comfortable for me at 5'9".

Sharon, at 5' 2" but with relatively long legs, was happy on the standard suspension bike with the low seat. The low seat takes 1.1" off. She could put both balls of her feet down, but was not flat footed.

The lowered suspension bike (we don't know if it had a low seat, but we think it did) had her flat footed with both feet and substantial knee bend.

The F 800 GS is substantially taller at 34.6" seat height. With the low seat it is 33.5". It is just about as tall as I would go with the low seat fitted.

Jan

What is often a good combination is the suspension-lowered bike but with the standard higher seat. It is still low but you get more knee room and a better seat. I sold a few F800ST with this combination.

With the lower seat on the 650 I could barely get both toes down. You've got to have longer legs than me for sure, BUT if you could flat foot with knees bent on the one with all the lower stuff added then I should at least get most of my foot on the ground.

I am going to see if they will let me demo one with option to buy if it turns out good.

What is often a good combination is the suspension-lowered bike but with the standard higher seat. It is still low but you get more knee room and a better seat. I sold a few F800ST with this combination.

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately however, there is not a factory lowered F 800 GS. I can't ride the ST due to it's ergos, and it won't go where I want it to go.

Thanks,

Jan

Well David mentioned that too, but he also was trying to stear me away at the same time. BUT if I continue to show interest he will start investigating it more for me I'm sure :thumbsup:. Guess I should print out a picture and hang by my chair!

Or, you can download a picture for your wallpaper! :grin::thumbsup:

I'm hearing some reports from new owners that are very happy with the engine and the way the bike handles.

Well actually I shouldn't even be looking for a new bike after all I have only had this bike for 5 months and the bike before that I only had for 5 months. Hey I guess your right my 5 months are up I need a new one!! :thumbsup:

Any way I think we came to an agreement this morning about getting rid of all three we have now and getting a 1200Gs and a 650Gs. :/

Unfortunately however, there is not a factory lowered F 800 GS. I can't ride the ST due to it's ergos, and it won't go where I want it to go.

Are there places you want to go where the F800GS would go, but the F650GS would not? I can think of very few places where that would be the case. Granted, the F800GS might get you there a bit quicker, and perhaps a little more easily with the larger front wheel, but the F650GS with TKC-80s is certainly more off-road capable than I am.

I've recently added a few more photos to the gravel rides found at http://www.softnz.com/rides.html where you can see the type of 'road' that the F650GS can be ridden on.

One thing to note about the lowered version is that the payload is considerably lower than for the standard version. Only 150kg for a factory lowered F650GS, compared to 237kg for the standard version. Unless you really, really need the lowering I would suggest a standard version with a lower seat.

No, but I am comfortable on the F 800 GS with the low seat. Paul was just suggesting that I consider a factory lowered F 800 GS with a standard seat for better seat comfort.

As for the choice between the 650 and the 800 for me personally, I haven't made that yet, nor even between those and the 1200 GS, or I might just get a cheap dirt bike for now. My wife, Bullett (Sharon) is going for the 650, and it sounds like Jean wants one too.

Thanks,

Jan

No, but I am comfortable on the F 800 GS with the low seat. Paul was just suggesting that I consider a factory lowered F 800 GS with a standard seat for better seat comfort.

As for the choice between the 650 and the 800 for me personally, I haven't made that yet, nor even between those and the 1200 GS, or I might just get a cheap dirt bike for now. My wife, Bullett (Sharon) is going for the 650, and it sounds like Jean wants one too.

Thanks,

Jan

I should mention, I have a 1200 GS reserved for rental for the Blue Ride Rendezvous, and I'll get to ride my wife's 650 GS whenever she actually gets it. By the time I'm ready to buy, maybe they'll have 800's available for demo, or I'll find a way to try one out first. At the moment the extra HP and Torque sound good to me, and I don't see any disadvantages for touring vs the other GS's. It's still as light as the 650. So since I am lucky to be big enough to ride the thing, my pre-concieved notion is that it may be the best choice for me.

At the moment the extra HP and Torque sound good to me

The extra HP and torque are only available above about 7000 rpm. Below that the F650GS actually has the same or more torque and power. But the gearing is lower on the F800GS, giving it faster acceleration. I've changed the front sprocket to the same size as the F800, making the gearing almost identical. The rear sprocket is still one tooth smaller than the F800.

Also, I hardly ever explore the revs above 7000, so the extra HP and torque is of no real use to me. Presumably it's also only available if you use the higher octane fuel. The 650 uses our regular fuel, making it cheaper to run. Having averaged 4.3 l/100km over about 5000 km it is definitely fuel efficient.

My 1200GS is faster than the F650, but not enough to justify having two bikes, so it is now for sale at the local dealer.

What top case do you have, Arne?

It's the BMW Vario topcase off my 1200GS. A new mounting plate was required to fit the mounting posts on the F650. The same case is available specifically for the F650GS/F800GS, but without the 1200 version's aluminium embellishments on the exterior.

Looks like that bike will take you to a lot of places. :thumbsup:

If you look at the ride report for The Rosie Ride you'll see what looks and sounds like the same road used in their Expert Loop only a few weeks later. I went through in both directions, just to make sure it was in as bad condition as it looked. And only got the front wheel stuck in a hole with deep sand once. :smile:

Sounds like they got stuck once also. It had to be the correct road!

The last time I got my front tire stuck in deep sand was on my mountain bike on the Slickrock trail near Moab, Utah. I did a header over the handlebars and flew about 10 feet, landing on my back in the sand. Fortunately, the bike just fell over. :Cool:

As of today, the sale of the factory lowered F 650 GS at BMW of SLC has officially been canceled, and the bike is available to all comers.

It is blue with a low seat. I don't know what other options.

Jan

Uh, guys... I can only use the Wii as an excuse to come over so many times... :)

Why the change of heart? Too low? Did you actually get a test ride out of Accolade?

Uh, guys... I can only use the Wii as an excuse to come over so many times... :)

Why the change of heart? Too low? Did you actually get a test ride out of Accolade?

Sharon has a deposit on a standard suspension bike. She sat on the lowered one and it is too low... or at least Renn recommends not going any lower than you need to on a GS. So no change of heart... she was never interested in that bike.

However, we had said, I think, that they had three and all three were taken. Well, now two of the three went and this one didn't is all. I just thought I'd mention it because I'm not sure how many lowered ones are out there, and someone might be looking for one.

Jan

Sharon has a deposit on a standard suspension bike. She sat on the lowered one and it is too low... or at least Renn recommends not going any lower than you need to on a GS. So no change of heart... she was never interested in that bike.

However, we had said, I think, that they had three and all three were taken. Well, now two of the three went and this one didn't is all. I just thought I'd mention it because I'm not sure how many lowered ones are out there, and someone might be looking for one.

Jan

I guess the hint isn't sinking in fast enough, so here's the plan:

Jean puts a deposit on the lowered bike (making sure it is refundable on test ride), schedules pick-up for Saturday September 20, and schedules 600 mile run-in service for Tuesday or Wednesday September 23 or 24.

We pick her up at the airport, run her to the dealer to get her bike, ride her all over Northern Utah Sunday and Monday, and shuttle her back to the dealer for the 600 mile job mid-week. Then run her down to Torrey Thursday the 25th. She departs Torrey in the company of the Whips as far San Antonio, and then has a nice manageable little solo ride on home to Doyline.

Now we just have to convince Jean and the Whips! :wave:

Jan

Well rats I have to do payroll on the 22nd or that would be an extremely good scenario!! Well except for the part of telling the husband. But I was fond of either Silver or red also. All my gear is red. BUT OH MY WORD WOULDN'T THAT BE SOOOOO FUN!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Well rats I have to do payroll on the 22nd or that would be an extremely good scenario!! Well except for the part of telling the husband. But I was fond of either Silver or red also. All my gear is red. BUT OH MY WORD WOULDN'T THAT BE SOOOOO FUN!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Obviously, you need new gear too...

Fly the night of the 22nd, pick up the bike the morning of the 23rd, schedule service for the 24th to be brought in around noon... a little tighter, but if it is like the RT, you only need 300 - 400 miles on it before the service, so it can be done (hey if we have to ride it for you some, well that what friends are for, right?).

Now I guess David needs to come too. So's he can wipe out my password... this staying home days has made me dangerous, me thinks. :grin:

Jan

Haaaa, talk about out of control here!!! I had to lower Jean's ninja 1-1/2" and it barely works suspension wise. The seat is 28-1/2" and she wants me to lower it more (not going to happen).

I think the F650GS would be a nice upgrade for her, but would need a sit on to see if possible to ride. The one she sat on at our dealer is standard suspension and lower seat, couldn't get it up without help, and could barely touch toes after someone helped it up.

I could lower the Versys slightly lower than the factory and low seat F650, but she doesn't want my Versys, too much power???

Okay this just may be a rumor, BUT I think I may have a red one with a lower suspension and lower seat ordered. Our dealership also has an 800 on the floor needing a home, well at least today it needs a home tomorrow it may be at my home. So my prediction of selling 3 and acquiring 2 may be coming true!!

Well, if David doesn't take the 800, you can let me know which dealership that is in a PM, secret information! It's going to be well into next year before any 800 GS's are available here. We test rode a used KLR 650 last night and the seller is number 14 in line. I'm looking at a '98 Honda XR 400 R tonight, a dirt bike. I want something to ride Saturday at Torrey. Sharon may pick up a 150.

With respect to Sharon's new bike, she was supposed to be 1st in line for the next 650 GS to come in, but when we called yesterday they said they had ordered one specifically for her instead. We thought it was a little odd that they didn't ask her how she wanted it equipped, and if she would prefer that over the next in line thing. Especially as she had told them she would take whatever comes, but preferred red. So now we are at best, optimistically, two months out on her bike we think. We think we got them to configure it as she wants... but I hold no strong expectations in that regard.

Hope you two get what you want and love 'em!

Jan

I was in the dealership today, and I asked how long the waiting list was. He says, that 800 over there is for sale???

Doesn't surprise me, he never even ordered a Versys (He is a kawasaki, Suzuki, yamaha and BMW dealer).

• 4 weeks later...
Paul Mihalka

The F650GS twin has very much the same mechanics as the F800ST which is out for almost two years. Except for some engine control updates on the first series of bikes, they have been very good. Right now I consider the F800/650 series the most reliable in the BMW lineup. Major items that can go bad on the bigger BMWs, like hydraulic clutch, clutch spline, rear drive, can't go bad because the F bikes don't have it.

• 3 weeks later...

After a few month hiatus from BMW ( I bought a gold wing trike to take my kids along), I took delivery of my 650GS yesterday, and the bike so far is everything I expected: light, smooth, stable at highway speed, much better handling than the previous 650, great parallel twin engine, good brakes, comfortable suspension for me, and I havent even farkled the bike with anything yet. The parallel twin has a great, wide power band. I love the 29" seat height and the low center of gravity. Even lowering the 1200 gs, it still felt top heavy to me, although the 1200RT lowered that I sat on at the dealer also felt great.

Did you get the lowered version of the 650 to get the 29" seat height? If you did, is the seat the lowered one, or the regular one. I know you can mix and match. Just sitting on one at the dealership, I think I prefer the lowered version with the regular seat. This would allow me to get a day long seat later and still be ok, whereas if I got the regular version and then added the day long, it would be too high for me. I thought just sitting on it that the lowered seat might have too little padding for my boney bum.

Mine has the low frame option, but Im not sure about the seat, since I usually replace my seats with Corbins. However, since Corbin hasnt released a seat yet, I put a beadrider on and that actually seemed to do the trick pretty well. Didint change the reach to the ground significantly enough to notice either. The stock seat is comfortable enough if u sit on the wider part at the rear, but the narrower part towards the tank is uncomfortable. I like firm seats personally which is why I have used Corbin. Would like to try a Russell. I think you could put any seat on the low frame option and still be ok, reach wise.

Archived