IGNORED

650 GS twin coming to US

baggerchris

Just confirmed by my Dealer, the F650GS twin with it's low seat height; 71 ponies; tubeless tires, and six speed is coming to the US and may in fact get here sooner than the 800. clap.gif

OK I will bite. Why is BMW introducing a twin F650GS and the twin F800GS? What am I missing here?
You're missing the fact that BMW calls one variant of the 800cc bikes a '650'. As to why they do that... I'm missing it too.
roadscholar
You're missing the fact that BMW calls one variant of the 800cc bikes a '650'. As to why they do that... I'm missing it too.

Thought I splained that once already, grin.gif

800 sounds intimidating to entry level riders, 650 not nearly as so. Heck, I remember when a friend had a 150 Dream and I knew I'd never be able to ride a bike that big. grin.gif

The new 650 will be here in July.

That is great news.

My next question is; how do I bump the engine HP up to 85HP like the 800GS has?

Since the engines are the same displacement, it should not be too difficult.

That is great news.

My next question is; how do I bump the engine HP up to 85HP like the 800GS has?

As in great majority of cases like this, it will be by far most cost-effective to buy the bike that has the power you want from the get go.

Trying to do a parts-swap upgrade later (using new BMW parts) to make one bike something it wasn't is always going to cost more. Sorry.

--

Mikko

Paul Mihalka

The model name is more than confusing, but I would consider the new twin F650GS a upgrade from the old single F650GS, and the F800GS a upgrade from the old F650GS Dakar.

As in great majority of cases like this, it will be by far most cost-effective to buy the bike that has the power you want from the get go.

Trying to do a parts-swap upgrade later (using new BMW parts) to make one bike something it wasn't is always going to cost more. Sorry.

I probably would buy the F800GS if it was available in Red. I do not like the yellow or silver color options.

Since I do not plan on doing much off road riding, I would prefer the lower seat height and 19" front wheel of the F650GS.

Sounds like the more road oriented F650 is the right bike for you then. I wouldn't worry much about the 71HP vs 85HP thing.

One gets from zero to sixty in 4.3sec the other in 4.1sec and as soon as there's a curve in the road it's all about the rider anyways...

--

Mikko

roadscholar
I think that entry level riders might be more intimidated by the 800's price than its displacement... wink.gif

I retract any insinuation I may have made about the 650 being 'entry level'. grin.gif

I sat on one in Daytona the other day and it's very nice, comfy seat, great ergos, feet on the ground (5'9"), and like Paul said, it is an upgrade from the previous 650.

The blurb at Marin actually uses the words "entry level". There's no shame in that, most manufacturers have one or more models that are marketed as "entry level".

I think the new F650 will be at the very high end of the overall spectrum of entry level bikes. It's a bike I'd be interested in, though for how I would use it, I'd like it better as a bit more of a street bike with belt drive.

roadscholar
The blurb at Marin actually uses the words "entry level". There's no shame in that, most manufacturers have one or more models that are marketed as "entry level".

Agree completely, just didn't want to give the impression it somehow detracted from the bike once I saw it in person and realized what a nice little bike it is.

Starting at about 60k, Porsche's Cayman is their entry level coupe, so it's all relative.

• 2 months later...

There must not be much weight differential betw the two, then, if its the same motor...I am in the market, waiting on the new F bikes...I think they will be far superior to the "old" f650.

There must not be much weight differential betw the two, then, if its the same motor...I am in the market, waiting on the new F bikes...I think they will be far superior to the "old" f650.

I sold my 2006 F650GS this week in anticipation of getting the new 2008 F650GS. I'm glad to hear they will be in the US this summer and available in red.

BMW_2008_F650GS_7.jpg

Thought I splained that once already, grin.gif

Thanks, Ricky! " 'Preciatecha" as they say out here in Utah :grin:

800 sounds intimidating to entry level riders, 650 not nearly as so. Heck, I remember when a friend had a 150 Dream and I knew I'd never be able to ride a bike that big. grin.gif

The new 650 will be here in July.

My dealer told me (although they are not particularly reliable) they would be here in June. I'm hopin' for a RED one.

Edit: Al wouldn't sell me his after I told him I would take it in the dirt. :wave:

Edit: Al wouldn't sell his to me after I told him I would take it in the dirt. :wave:

It didn't know how to go in the dirt. I spoiled it.

Are you really interested in a new F800GS or F650GS? Just checking so I can get my deposit down before you.

Edit: Al wouldn't sell his to me after I told him I would take it in the dirt. :wave:

It didn't know how to go in the dirt. I spoiled it.

Are you really interested in a new F800GS or F650GS? Just checking so I can get my deposit down before you.

I'm thinking about the 650 because it is shorter. I think the "real" 800GS will be too tall for me. Also the 800 does not come in red.

I won't buy a bike unless I have ridden it. Go ahead and put down your deposit. I'll just go tell Ren that you wanted me to test ride your new bike! :D

I won't buy a bike unless I have ridden it. Go ahead and put down your deposit. I'll just go tell Ren that you wanted me to test ride your new bike! :D

I probably won't put money down until I ride one, either. Besides, you'd just want to ride it in the dirt. :grin:

I sent emails to both "our dealer" and the one in Boise about when they expect the new F650's. Neither has answered me as of a week now. I guess they don't want my business. I bought the old F650 in California and I'm not adverse to going there again. Actually, I had a very good experience at Bob's BMW outside of Baltimore. He personally took Judy and me to the train station and stopped to get us something to eat on the way. And I only bought a tee shirt. Maybe I'll check there. The ride home would be fun.

Slartidbartfast

The 650 model is designed with restricted power to meet some European power-to-weight-ratio requirements for mid-level (a 650 is NOT entry-level in Europe) bikes. It does seem strange, however, that BMW would decide to go against the time-honoured motorcycle manufacturer's practice of rounding UP their engine capacities for marketing purposes.

Al, thanks for posting the link to that review. NOW I'm getting anxious. :lurk:

Sharon, I dropped by our local BMW dealer. He has one F650GS coming in July. No one has put a deposit on it. He can still order it in standard or lowered ( he's ordered it lowered, but can change it ) and the color of choice. He has deposits on 8 F800GS's which won't come until November. I didn't put money down until I see and ride one, but came close.

Thanks for the information, Al. I hope they will let a few folks take it out for a spin when they get it.

Owner / Rider reports of the new F650GS ( and F800GS ) are starting to show up on the Adventure Rider forums. Here's a link to a happy camper with a new F650GS: Click me

Look around, there are some others.

There's a fairly happy camper with a new F650GS on here, too. Main gripes are with the seat, which is uncomfortable for me, and the gearing being a bit too high for gravel road use.

I still have the 1200GS, but probably not for too much longer, as the 650 is ample for my needs.

Look at the ride reports section for a couple of threads that I started a week or so ago if you want to see the bike in 'real life'. It now has over 1600 km (1000 miles) on the clock. First service was done at exactly 650 kms 2 days after I took delivery.

First service was done at exactly 650 kms 2 days after I took delivery.

What is required at the first service and approximate cost? What are the required service intervals?

First service is mainly a check that everything is OK using the diagnostic system, checking coolant, clutch play, chain tension, lights, kill switch, and changing the oil filter and oil. Done at anywhere between 500 and 1200 km. Probably about 1 hour, plus the cost of oil, filter, etc.

The service interval after that is once per year, or if the service-due indicator shows that an earlier service is required. There is no mention in the Rider's Manual of the distance used by the service-due indicator, but perhaps it uses other variables (number of start/stops, time, etc) as well to calculate the due date. Warning is given about 1 month or 1000km before the service is due. The dealer recommends service at 10,000km or once per year, whichever comes first. The BMW diagnostic tools are required to reset the service-due indicator.

Fuel economy has been good, averaging around 4.4 or 4.5 litres per 100 km, or just over 22 km/l. And that includes a lot of slow gravel riding, and start/stop often.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Sharon, for the new F650GS specifications. I'm hoping to demo one at the BMWMOA rally in Gillette. Otherwise I'll just have to wait until the "local dealer" gets one. If I don't like it, I may buy another single cylinder F650GS since they may go down in resale price when the new ones are here.

I haven't decided for sure to get one, either. Jan thinks I don't need another motorcycle, but I would sure like something a little smaller than the RT for around town . . .

That's why I keep the 1150R for around town and in Utah riding. But it will have to go if I get another F650GS (either old or new variety). Two bikes is nice when one is sick, three is a hassle and expense for me.

bakerzdosen

There are definitely times I wish I'd kept my f650cs, but an inexpensive f650gs would indeed be pretty nice as well.

How about you get one Sharon and then lend it to me frequently? :)

There are definitely times I wish I'd kept my f650cs, but an inexpensive f650gs would indeed be pretty nice as well.

How about you get one Sharon and then lend it to me frequently? :)

:D LMAO!

We have them here in Canada and I can tell you that the New F650 GS is an awesome bike. Very nice power and smooth etc.

Also available in a lowered chassis version with factory lowered suspension and low seat. Low seat is available on the std. height model too.

$8990 in Canada plus options etc.

Makes you forget the 650 singles ever existed, it really is that good!

• 1 month later...
Yeeha! Stephen
We have them here in Canada and I can tell you that the New F650 GS is an awesome bike. Very nice power and smooth etc.

Also available in a lowered chassis version with factory lowered suspension and low seat. Low seat is available on the std. height model too.

$8990 in Canada plus options etc.

Makes you forget the 650 singles ever existed, it really is that good!

Actually got to see and touch one in Colorado a few days ago. I'm actually glad to see it's not going to be too small for me...

3885.jpg

Really gonna go for the 800/800 version instead of the 650/800 version though.

3885.jpg.744e2d8636c3d47ae99744bb46800b74.jpg

What is the main advantage of going to the twin? Is it a smoother ride? More torque? More HP? (EDIT: never mind on this point, I should have read the rest of the thread first)

Also, my wife is doing her MSC and I'm thinking that this might be the bike for her ( in the short and longer term).

Any opinions on that from you first time riders out there?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, our dealer finally got three F650 GS's and one F800 GS. All of them are spoken for (or at least they are holding deposits for them).

They had a factory lowered F650. I could flat foot it with my knees bent a bit (Jacqueline or Mrs. Whip could ride this one, easy); a regular F650 with a low seat (balls of feet); and regular F650 standard seat (toes, but lower than my RT with low seat). All three colors are nice. :thumbsup:

I couldn't touch the ground with both feet on the F800 GS, but they put the F650 low seat on it (!) and I could touch both toes.

I also tried sitting on the G650 X-country which is apparently lower than last years version. It felt about the same as the regular F650 with the low seat, but the seat was different. Exhaust pipe is higher. Sounded like there are few luggage options for this bike.

These bikes are light. . . and easy to place on the center stand. Hmmmmmm.

Isn't anyone gonna guess which one she put a deposit on, c'mon ya'll are a bit slow today.

A regular F650 with a low seat? ( Red )

I haven't gone down to look at them, because I know I'd probably plop down some money. I sat on them in Gillette, but didn't do a demo ride for various reasons. I think I'll wait till spring and consider one then. I like my thumper F650, but the extra 20 horses would sure be nice.

Bingo... except that while she told them that red and a low seat were preferred, she'll take whatever they get. She liked all three colors.

Jan

Archived