IGNORED

COUNTDOWN: ONLY 2 DAYS UNTIL . . .

EffBee

Just talked to Tommy Two Shocks, the blob over Arizona has left a foot of snow in Flagstaff, he's in Mr G so he doesn't care.

Well I've just discovered a Starbucks within 15 mins walk of here, so I think I'll give them some business so they don't go bankrupt.

I just told the front desk that I'll be staying another night.

I'll boogie on out of here tomorrow on I-70, assuming I'm interpreting the forecast correctly.

I just cleared another pile of snow off the bike for a little comedy relief.

Biting my tounge trying not to give too much input since it is your ride and your decision...

The alternates are great rides, I have done them myself, BUT, and as the say- it is a big Butt, the "weather" is headed in the direction of each one and until you get on the western side of the mountains...(note these are the Rocky Mountains!) which is the defining land feature of the western half of the country... you will still have to traverse a high point/pass etc. How long will it take you to get to the pass? Where will the weather be when you have to deal with it?

When it comes to the Rockies, you only have two choices... go around or go through.

etc... good luck. See you in Torrey.

Bob

Don't bite your tongue, Bob. What part of the route Fernando suggested for me gives you pause? I checking it out on maps now (and earler on Mapsource). Are you talking about I-25 going south from Denver?

Don't worry, you won't insult me by using words with fewer syllables.

Mark, listen to those guys. They live in that stuff. I gave you a route based on internet reports, lower elevations, and an avoidance of I-70, which is slab, after all. But Hopz and others who live in the Rockies or the Wasatch Mtns know what these storms are like. I'd heed their advice before I'd heed mine. :thumbsup:

Well I've just discovered a Starbucks within 15 mins walk of here, so I think I'll give them some business so they don't go bankrupt.

I just told the front desk that I'll be staying another night.

I'll boogie on out of here tomorrow on I-70, assuming I'm interpreting the forecast correctly.

I just cleared another pile of snow off the bike for a little comedy relief.

How about a set of these:

icescrewtire.gif

Mark

It sounds like you are coping with the weather delay just fine. A little later break open a bottle of red, put your feet up, and watch the snow fall. Cheers and have a great time in Torrey.

Mark

It sounds like you are coping with the weather delay just fine. A little later break open a bottle of red, put your feet up, and watch the snow fall. Cheers and have a great time in Torrey.

Yeah, I'll go to the El Rancho restaurant next door for that (the only one within walking distance). Had a rib eye there last night, though I made the mistake of accepting the bartender's suggestion to try the local Colorado Cabernet. I think there might be a reason I've never heard of Colorado wines, reds at least.

lawnchairboy

I am about to be firmly ensconced inthe Days Inn of Torrey Hot tub. MAN, did it snow. All the way from Montrose over to Monticello, poor visability but the roads were fine and if it wasn't for Gerbings, I wouldn't have come. Looking forward to greeting some folks. UT 95 was GLORIOUS and I say that with virgin eyes but how in the world can a road be that good?

thanks to all for the routing help, the roads were fine this morning.

PS, I have an empty bed at the days if anybody is looking... I'm a taurus, like long walks in the sun, don't smoke... :grin:

chris

Marty Hill

Chris, give me a call at 404/580-4300 so we can hook up for dinner. I'm at the chuckwagon.

PS/glad you made it ok. Now you have to ride 12.

I am about to be firmly ensconced inthe Days Inn of Torrey Hot tub. MAN, did it snow. All the way from Montrose over to Monticello, poor visability but the roads were fine and if it wasn't for Gerbings, I wouldn't have come. Looking forward to greeting some folks. UT 95 was GLORIOUS and I say that with virgin eyes but how in the world can a road be that good?

thanks to all for the routing help, the roads were fine this morning.

PS, I have an empty bed at the days if anybody is looking... I'm a taurus, like long walks in the sun, don't smoke... :grin:

chris

Well you beat me. Guess it was a better strategy being in Montrose, than up near Denver where I am. I generally don't slab it, but I was try to save time for riding around Torrey. I was also in Gunnsion in 2006, so have done some of those roads, not that doing them again is a bad thing.

Have fun in the hot tub.

Hi Chris

I am glad to know you made it to Torrey with no mishaps. Isn't Rt. 95 just grand? Have Marty take you on Rt. 12 and when you get to Boulder take the Burr Trail. DON'T FORGET TO TAKE YOUR CAMERA WITH YOU. Once you ride the Burr Trail go back towards Boulder and ride Rt. 12 to at least Escalante or Bryce Canyon. You won't be sorry. I assure you of that. Have a great time in Torrey.

lawnchairboy

Montrose, CO, left at 0700 in the driving snow.

550 south to ridgeway, 62 over to 145 141 south over to 491. took that to monticello where I thawed out for 1/2 hour at a gas stop. 191 to 95 to 24 to torrey.

Here's a little teaser to make tomorrow morning easier...

155191593_MYPir-L.jpg

Thanks Dennis, I'll put that on my computer screen at work in the morning. Maybe that will make the time go faster until 2:10 PM when I hope to sneak away a bit early and get on the road.

Of course before I leave I'll change to this picture since I'm taking a few sick days.

A2C47A.jpg

AdventurePoser
Hockey on Versus.

email for a score if you need it.

MB>

Saw the first period at the nearby restaurant/bar, so knew it was 2-1 Red Wings. It would seem they don't have Versus in this place. There's only so much of the weather channel that one can watch.

Twisties: Thanks for the useful info. I will indeed check that website tomorrow. I'd sooner be safe than sorry - my wife would kill me!

Last Torrey I battled the weather all the way up I-15 into high wind, rain, and snow....near Beaver UT. I knew the passes would be worse, and they were. 65 miles from friends, fun, and a great time I surrendered and holed up in a motel. I read a good book and watched WAY too much TNT. In the morning I left, headed back to Los Angeles.

To all you guys fighting the weather....take it easy. Maybe you'll get there a day later, but so what? Watch that weather, be safe, and I look forward to seeing you on Saturday!

AdventurePoser

chris

Do you like puppies and world peace? That's the deal breaker for me....

Steve in so cal

Weather and roads look good from here in Golden CO. It's liftoff for my final leg to Torrey this morning, west on I-70.

Safe travels Mark.

Steve and I roll from Austin in 20 hours. Forecast is for thunderstorms and rain most of the way through west Texas and NM. It will be good to be tucked in behind the RT fairing. :grin:

Here's a little teaser to make tomorrow morning easier...

155191593_MYPir-L.jpg

Thanks Dennis, I'll put that on my computer screen at work in the morning. Maybe that will make the time go faster until 2:10 PM when I hope to sneak away a bit early and get on the road.

Of course before I leave I'll change to this picture since I'm taking a few sick days.

A2C47A.jpg

Now THAT'S a good one! See you there.

Dennis Andress
Laney and I opened escrow on a brand new house last week....

I had a tremendous job interview on Thursday and can't wait to hear back from them....

I found a cracked weld on my Remus exhaust Friday so yesterday I removed and replaced it with a stock system.... (Quiet is ... different.... :Cool: )

Isn't there a rule about not doing anything major before a big trip??? :/:/

Everyone ride good!!! We can't wait to see you guys!!!!

Forget all that phooey - have you done the badges? :clap:

Name tags are done.....

OK, I'm officially getting really excited to be on my way. I got the clearance to leave work at 2:10 instead of 3:30.

My first Torrey gets its start in 2 hours!

Dennis Andress
Wonderful, it's the only way I know who I am. :grin:

I thought you forgot your g....

Do you get someone to read the tag to you??? :lurk::grin::wave:

(Hi, Marty. See you tomorrow!)

I'm about to leave work. Will head home to pack and get ready. We leave tomorrow morning.

Will likely take Sonora pass over the mountains, and I'm still not sure whether we'll to head up to 50 or do the southerly route via ET highway. Will probably stay in Tonopah or Austin, depending.

Marty Hill

Do you get someone to read the tag to you??? :lurk::grin::wave:

(Hi, Marty. See you tomorrow!)

Oh, the abuse I take! :grin:

Firefight911
I'm about to leave work. Will head home to pack and get ready. We leave tomorrow morning.

Will likely take Sonora pass over the mountains, and I'm still not sure whether we'll to head up to 50 or do the southerly route via ET highway. Will probably stay in Tonopah or Austin, depending.

Clown Motel in Tonopah is very clean. And at $31.50 for the night, you can't go wrong!!! Just stayed there last week. The cemetery right next door dates back to 1911. I highly recommend a walk through as the headstones and plaques are quite interesting to read.

Lincoln Motel in Austin is bare bones but clean. Cheap but can't remember how much. Stayed there for Fall Torrey last year. Need to be there before 9 PM to get in or you are SOL.

whalerautumn

Love it when a plan comes together even if at the last minute. I am in, staying at the econolodge Friday through Sunday. Monday will see which way the wind blows. Don't need to be back here until late next week.

Larry

Well I'm finally in Torrey (Capitol Reef). I had an uneventful ride through the mountains west from Golden, CO. The roads were bare and dry, with a few wet spots around Vail pass. That said, it was a little on the cool side -- 25F. Thank goodness for heated grips, seat, and vest. I was actually quite toasty warm with the heated stuff on. Made good time, and was here about 3:30 to meet my friend Tim from Wyoming who was holed up in my room.

We just enjoyed a tasty meal at Cafe Diablo (rattlesnake cakes and the ribs), with a Sauvignon Blanc, then a Shiraz. Now for a Blue Moon back in the room.

Forecast for Torrey looks good, getting warmer each day.

Hope to chew the fat with everyone soon.

I watched lightening light up the sky in front of me for the last 40 miles. Made it to the motel in Junction, TX 5 minutes in front of the rain. It was touch and go for a while, looked like I'd get wet. 400 miles down 1,100 to go.

Joe Frickin' Friday
UT 95 was GLORIOUS and I say that with virgin eyes but how in the world can a road be that good?

When you get home, fire up Google Earth and take the bird's eye view. Start from the Hite Overlook (seriously, just search on "Hite Overlook" and it'll take you there), pick a nice slant-perspective, and run up Hog Springs Canyon, or head east toward Blanding. It's a neat tool for fully understanding the lay of the land and the roads you've ridden on.

Crazy_Canuck

Well the bike is packed and ready to go. Thad and I will be heading out 04:30 in the morning see you soon.

Hi,

I have a SPOT messenger. I am sharing my location information with you. Click on the link to see where I am.

Just follow this link to see my location updates:

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl.jsp?glId=1rd8cmKA3odhiaKo0AONqq6xls9BFRGVu

The password is: canuck

If the link doesn't work, try copying and pasting it to your browser's address bar.

Thanks,

Mark, I hope you find a way.

I hit that same white slushy road block on Tuesday. Fortunately, it was early, so I doubled back to I-25 and headed to Albuquerque. Not the first time I've had to do this to get to Torrey. Made the New Mexico state line by evening. This morning I threaded my way south and west, hitting Devils Highway north to Blanding. There, I took rt95 and got to the CW about 7:30pm.

Mark, I hope you find a way.

Oooops, I missed your last post. Glad to see you made it.

Looks like I should have found a room and took the chance on good weather on Wednesday.

Oh well, I always enjoy the ride up 95.

People are already arriving and I'm not hitting the road until Friday morning.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Save me and Debi a spot by the pool on Friday evening.

Hopz and Mrs Hopz are packed and will be on the road by 0800.

With the way the wind is blowing here, apparently from the North, we ought to be in Salina by 0830...

Ha... see you all soon.

We will be out the door at 8:00 as well. The weather is supposed to great and I am soooo looking forward to this.

See y'all soon.

Well the bike is packed and ready to go. Thad and I will be heading out 04:30 in the morning see you soon.

Hi,

I have a SPOT messenger. I am sharing my location information with you. Click on the link to see where I am.

Just follow this link to see my location updates:

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl.jsp?glId=1rd8cmKA3odhiaKo0AONqq6xls9BFRGVu

The password is: canuck

If the link doesn't work, try copying and pasting it to your browser's address bar.

Thanks,

That is way cool,Ive been following your progress all day.At 4 pm our time I zoomed in while in the satellite mode and it looks like you were gassing up in Mesquite. (waypoint 38)

Me needs one of those... :thumbsup:

Have a great trip.

AdventurePoser

Forecast for Torrey looks good, getting warmer each day.

Hope to chew the fat with everyone soon.

Glad you made it...I am not able to leave, most likely now until early Saturday morning so it's gonna be a short visit. Perhaps I can miss the 40 mph winds blowing thru the deserts as well as the 100+ weather too!

It is amazing how things must change when life happens, isn't it?Hope to see you all up there!

Steve in So Cal

Rollin' towards Torrey. Val and I, plus a few newbies...

please don't bite 'em.

Bunkin' in Ely NV. Gonna see what nitelife presents itself.

C ya soon.

MB>

Bunkin' in Ely NV. Gonna see what nitelife presents itself.

C ya soon.

MB>

Nightlife... in Ely? Really?

The Misses and I, plus two other couples on harleys are headed out in the morning. Probably hit the road around 9:30am.

If we take the short route it is only 205 miles. But I think that Fairview Canyon and Sweeper Madness is calling.

See you all there tomorrow.

Arrived safe and sound tonight. Played leapfrog with Bend Bill along the way after meeting him in Austin NV. We ran into Deadboy in Delta, and he joined us on an inaugural run down sweeper madness. A great day's ride. The bovines were out in force on 72 though, so it was madness of a different kind... something of a game of DodgeCow. :)

Archived