IGNORED

COUNTDOWN: ONLY 2 DAYS UNTIL . . .

EffBee

Marcopolo:

Dinner in Torrey, Friday 8:30pm , Cafe Diablo.

Be there or be square

MB>

Just an FYI. Friday is the Welcome BBQ at the Chuckwagon Inn. Of course, people can dine where they please. But I just thought I'd throw out the reminder. Bon apetit!

Marcopolo:

Dinner in Torrey, Friday 8:30pm , Cafe Diablo.

Be there or be square

MB>

Just an FYI. Friday is the Welcome BBQ at the Chuckwagon Inn. Of course, people can dine where they please. But I just thought I'd throw out the reminder. Bon apetit!

Thanks for the Cafe Diablo invitation, but I suspect I will be at the BBQ with my friend Tim from Wyoming. I do, however, want to hit Cafe Diablo, perhaps before the "throngs" arrive in town (I'll be in Torrey Tuesday).

I'm now safely tucked into my room at the Sleep Inn in Hays, Kansas. It was a wet, very blustery departure from St. Louis this morning, but the rain cleared after about 90 minutes. It was windy all day, but it got better the further west I went.

It will be sunny and windy here tomorrow as I leave for Golden, just west of Colorado (an easy day). That said, I see they're taking about rain/snow showers for Tuesday when I leave Golden for Torrey. What's up with that?

Ride safely everyone.

P.S., having a laptop on the road for checking weather is the way to go (I can just hear the groans now).

Marty Hill

Guess I better check the wx in colorado. I'm planning on doing some back roads and a pass or two. Should be in gunnison monday afternoon. HI express if anyone else is there.

Monday morning, 4.33 am CST.

40 degrees F. (brrrr)

Garage Open

Ignition on.

5 (last minute pit stop)

3 (where in heck is my..my...wait a minute...there it is)

See you some time Wednesday in Torrey!

Well, the week has finally arrived. Thought I be really excited, but....Wednesday, my departure day, seems REALLY far off. :(

I'm in no mood to be here at work, but alas, I have no choice... :mad:

Come Wednesday I expect my excitement level might be a bit different. :grin:

Dennis Andress

Laney and I opened escrow on a brand new house last week....

I had a tremendous job interview on Thursday and can't wait to hear back from them....

I found a cracked weld on my Remus exhaust Friday so yesterday I removed and replaced it with a stock system.... (Quiet is ... different.... :Cool: )

Isn't there a rule about not doing anything major before a big trip??? :/:/

Everyone ride good!!! We can't wait to see you guys!!!!

I had a tremendous job interview on Thursday and can't wait to hear back from them....

I found a cracked weld on my Remus exhaust Friday so yesterday I removed and replaced it with a stock system.... (Quiet is ... different.... :Cool: )

Sounds like you are on a roll! Congrats on the house and good luck on the job.

Worthy

I am now planning on pulling out really early tomorrow and making my way North. Original plan was a PM departure today, but too much "monkey business" down here for me to do that.

Kaisr :thumbsup:

Forget all that phooey - have you done the badges? :clap:
Monday morning, 4.33 am CST.

40 degrees F. (brrrr)

Started this morning in Ely, Nevada, probably right around freezing, wasn't long before the snow started. Came across a very cold looking Scarecrow in Scipio on his way to Moab, really heavy snow at that point but not sticking to the road fortunately. Another 30 miles of heavy snow then it began to clear up a bit. By the time I got to Torrey it was 52F though still threatening to rain.

I'm now in Golden, just west of Denver. It was initially a very blustery ride put of Hays, Kansas this morning, but it settled down fairly early on and it was a nice sunny ride. I actually have shorts on here, as I head out to clean the bugs off the bike and put her to bed for the night.

Good weather will be short lived; it's supposed to snow here overnight and tomorrow. Hope none of it sticks to the road!

Tomorrow I land in Torrey, with my friend Tim arriving also from Wyoming.

Crazy_Canuck

Looking to head out early Thursday morning with Macamoose, it will be close to a Iron Butt ride. Hope all goes well. Was going to take Macamoose through Death vally but after looking at the weather it is supposed to be 108F!!!! Yikes :eek: :eek:

We will see...

The FJR has been washed. I even waxed it. The saddlebags and trunk are packed. Tire pressures have been set. It's sitting connected to the Battery Tender.

All I have to do is figure out how to get to 2PM Wednesday without everyone at work figuring out that my head left for Torrey over the weekend.

Oh, baby, am I looking forward to this one.

...about being in Torrey on Tuesday, that is. I just checked the weather forecast sitting in my room in Golden, CO. Seems there's a winter storm coming this way, and if it's anything like what they're predicting, I may not be moving anywhere west of here tomorrow, especially on a bike.

It's also a little difficult for someone from out east to really understand conditions in the mountains, but I sure would not want to head out westbound on I-70 then hit conditions that are impossible on a bike. There's supposed to be snow in Golden itself, so I may be stuck right here in any event. To top things off, it seems there's a bit of a break then a second storm following the first. Here's hoping my Spring Torrey is not confined to this hotel in Colorado.

If anyone more knowledgeable than me about Colorado weather has any suggestions, fire away.

Having just ridden through that storm coming from the west I have to say it looks pretty heavy, however they do keep I70 quite well plowed and the Colorado DOT web site is very good.

Edit: looking at Weather Underground I think you'll be fine, albeit cold and wet, on Wednesday. It's a quick ride from Golden to Torrey, you can easily do it in 9 hours if you want to. Leave when they kick you out of the hotel and you'll be over the high ground in the middle of the day. Take 24 down to Hanksville then to Torrey to avoid the high area of I70 in Utah. (I'd be out there Tuesday until I couldn't get any further but that's just the way I am, I believe in taking chances and not thinking twice)

...about being in Torrey on Tuesday, that is. I just checked the weather forecast sitting in my room in Golden, CO. Seems there's a winter storm coming this way, and if it's anything like what they're predicting, I may not be moving anywhere west of here tomorrow, especially on a bike.

It's also a little difficult for someone from out east to really understand conditions in the mountains, but I sure would not want to head out westbound on I-70 then hit conditions that are impossible on a bike. There's supposed to be snow in Golden itself, so I may be stuck right here in any event. To top things off, it seems there's a bit of a break then a second storm following the first. Here's hoping my Spring Torrey is not confined to this hotel in Colorado.

If anyone more knowledgeable than me about Colorado weather has any suggestions, fire away.

I'd get the heck out of there, head south down I-25 and pick up 160 west out of Walsenburg and then head to Torrey by way of Durango.

I wish I had some local knowledge that would help. The storm front that passed through Salt Lake City this morning was headed East and southeast. At this hour, 4:30 p, it has, or is about to clear S.E. Utah or near to it. There is a pocket of after-front precipitation that will in all likelihood make snow in the higher elevations. That ought to happen this evening and or overnight. Looking at the weather underground for Vail (on i-70) confirms that.

Behind the front looks good from here. This is a link to Vail's Radar on Weather Underground:

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/mixedcomposite.asp?region=b2&size=2x&ID=FTG19

Looks like there is a pretty high probability of snow tonight and in the morning in Vail and along I-70- but temperatures finally work into the mid 30's about noon.

Any chance of an alternate route? I hate to say this but if you went back north to I-80 and across to Salt Lake City- the forecast is much better. It would be a full day ride to SLC from Golden but far less chance of snow and at a somewhat lower altitude.

Whatever you do, understand that I-70 across Colorado is high altitude and with the front crossing there will be snow and cold. Be careful. Think Twice. If you make it to SLC you can ride down with us or others on Thursday. Or even make it to Torrey on Wednesday. Torrey is about 5 hours from SLC.

Good luck.

Bob

Marty Hill

Greg,

Check the route in the am. I was going the same way today but they were talking about snow/slush so I went west then north to moab. Lot's of wind and some very cold rain as I arrived in moab. See you at the CW!

lawnchairboy

I am in Montrose... storm chased me in. If I had sails on my RT I would have got 100 mpg. Snow? for tomorrow, holy cow.

I guess that lets out the million dollar highway for tomorrow...

CO 92 today was terrific. 50 out of pueblo up to gunnison was good but plenty of gravel and small stones in the corners, got a little wiggle once or twice. Take it slow...

oh yeah, given the current forecast, what is the best route into utah tomorrow, (if I can actually go somewhere)

Mark

Based on the forecast you mentioned you may want to seriously consider Limecreek's recommendation for heading south on I-25 and then west on Rt. 160. You can take Rt. 160 across the state of Colorado. Once you get to Cortez, Co. go 33 miles west on 160 to Rt. 41. Turn right on Rt. 41 north to Rt. 262 to Rt. 191. Turn right on Rt. 191 north for 11 miles to Rt. 95. Left on Rt. 95 all the way to Hanksville and then Rt. 24 west to Torrey. You will love Rt. 95 to Hanksville. It is a roundabout way from Denver to Torrey but will certainly get you there considering your furthest point south is about 150 miles south of Denver which could make all the difference in the world weather wise.

Mark

Based on the forecast you mentioned you may want to seriously consider Limecreek's recommendation for heading south on I-25 and then west on Rt. 160. You can take Rt. 160 across the state of Colorado. Once you get to Cortez, Co. go 33 miles west on 160 to Rt. 41. Turn right on Rt. 41 north to Rt. 262 to Rt. 191. Turn right on Rt. 191 north for 11 miles to Rt. 95. Left on Rt. 95 all the way to Hanksville and then Rt. 24 west to Torrey. You will love Rt. 95 to Hanksville. It is a roundabout way from Denver to Torrey but will certainly get you there considering your furthest point south is about 150 miles south of Denver which could make all the difference in the world weather wise.

I'm very concerned about this suggestion. Looks to me like Pagosa Springs is showing rain all day. How's he going to get over Wolf Creek Pass? I think Wolf Creek is going to be hell.

I'd go to Albuquerque, now, before the storm, and take I-40 tomorrow, or wait a day.

I-70 is out of the question with the forecast.

I-70 is out of the question with the forecast.
Totally disagree - this is the forecast

Tuesday

Snow showers. Snow accumulation 2 to 4 inches. Highs 35 to 45. West winds 10 to 15 mph shifting to the northwest in the afternoon.

With highs 35-45 the roads will be pretty much clear at that time. It will be wet and cold and there may be some slush at the very highest places. I rode over I70 in a snowstorm in 20 degree temperatures last month, it wasn't a problem. TODAY I rode 50+ miles in heavy falling snow at 34F, even at that temperature it wasn't sticking on the roads.

Not sure what forecast you got. I checked for Dillon, CO, on I-70 below Eisenhower Tunnel on the west.

Forecast was for a high of 37F in late afternoon, but mostly was below freezing with snow. Thats at 9100', almost 2000' below Eisenhower Tunnel. Low is I think 29 F

I doubt Mark will see 20 F at Eisenhower in the morning, if it's even open.

OK, now I'm even more confused than I am normally. :grin:

I don't mind cold -- hey I'm a Canadian, and I'm well equipped for it at the moment. I also don't mind snow, but not when it's sticking to the roadway. That seems to be the problem, figuring out whether the roadway is actually going to be passable for a bike at those elevations and temperatures.

Had I used my head, I would have barreled right on through this afternoon, and not stopped, but I didn't realize what was coming until it was too late. Oh well, stuff happens.

I guess I'll just have to see what the conditions are tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I really appreciate the help. Did I mention my room has a flat screen TV? Alas I can't seem to find the hockey game (Detroit/Dallas).

Mark.

Good weather "eventually" comin your way. Lo pressure will be chased by a High prob on Tues... Wind Weds and Thurs. Head south my man!

EffBee: The burgers are an appetizer. The Diablo is the main course. Catch you all poolside!

Hockey on Versus.

email for a score if you need it.

MB>

I don't mind cold -- hey I'm a Canadian, and I'm well equipped for it at the moment. I also don't mind snow, but not when it's sticking to the roadway. That seems to be the problem, figuring out whether the roadway is actually going to be passable for a bike at those elevations and temperatures.

Had I used my head, I would have barreled right on through this afternoon, and not stopped, but I didn't realize what was coming until it was too late. Oh well, stuff happens.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I really appreciate the help. Did I mention my room has a flat screen TV? Alas I can't seem to find the hockey game (Detroit/Dallas).

The issue is the combination of precipitation with below freezing temperatures. So far as I know, you will only find forecasts for towns, not passes. Yet of course passes are your critical points. For instance, Pagosa Springs on the southern Colorado route suggested sits at 7000'. Wolf Creek Pass above it sits at 10800'. Similarly Dillon sits below Eisenhower Tunnel at 9100' while the tunnel is at 11000'. You have to mentally adjust the forecast in your mind for the altitude. Temperature decreases, precipitation and wind increase as you go up.

As you note, snow that doesn't stick is no problem. There is a reasonable chance that's what you would get at Dillon. Up on Eisenhower Tunnel, a different matter all together. Not to mention the road down is steep and winding.

Obviously there is no way to know in advance. Since you are now in Denver for the night, and have internet access, just check the CO road report in the morning. Co DOT Real Time Road Report .

You are only an hour or 90 minutes from the tunnel, so the report should cover you. Remember, there is always more precipitation on the west side of any pass. Coming out of Eisenhower this is particularly true. I've had it bone dry on the East, and emerged into solid ice on the west.

I-70 is great ride once you get going. I love Glenwood Canyon. Truly world class highway there.

Hockey on Versus.

email for a score if you need it.

MB>

Saw the first period at the nearby restaurant/bar, so knew it was 2-1 Red Wings. It would seem they don't have Versus in this place. There's only so much of the weather channel that one can watch.

Twisties: Thanks for the useful info. I will indeed check that website tomorrow. I'd sooner be safe than sorry - my wife would kill me!

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!

(((((((((((((hijack))))))))))))

Detroit rolls on. Datsyuk hat trick. Zetterberg hot. Some roughhouse stuff by Dallas didn't work.

Detroit 5...Dallas 2 <<<< Final.

Even though I like Western conf hockey, I'm liking the East playoffs better.

My Sharks are out again. Don't even ask.

C YA in Torrey Mark

MB>

In the end you are the only one that can make the decision, there's no real harm in heading out and seeing what it's like as long as you turn round before the off ramps get covered in snow. If you get to that point you're committed to going on which while unpleasant will probably be doable, especially if you follow a plough. (BTDT)
Firefight911
Is it just me, or do all the map programs (well, Mapsource and S&T) all think Torrey is in Bicknell?

Oh, let me tell you a story about a certain wife who was given a big red truck with a trailer behind it that had her motorcycle on it with the simple directions of, "the GPS is set up for ya, just follow it to Torrey. Love you. See ya there."

Yea, it told her that she had "arrived" when pulling through Bicknell. Funny, I told her to just look for the Chuckwagon, you can't miss it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, yea that's a funny story!!!!

Is it just me, or do all the map programs (well, Mapsource and S&T) all think Torrey is in Bicknell?

It's an anti-growth measure, clever huh?

Mark, take 25 south into New Mexico. Take 64 across the top of NM (rising briefly into CO, then back into NM) through Farmington to Shiprock. Take 160 through Cortez, CO, to Monticello, UT, then south on 191 through Blanding to UT-95. Take it north to Hanksville and take 24 west to Torrey.

Once you get off CO-25, it's a great and scenic ride. Weather shows mostly cloudy with a few shower spots, temps in the 60-70 range.

I am in Montrose... storm chased me in. If I had sails on my RT I would have got 100 mpg. Snow? for tomorrow, holy cow.

I guess that lets out the million dollar highway for tomorrow...

CO 92 today was terrific. 50 out of pueblo up to gunnison was good but plenty of gravel and small stones in the corners, got a little wiggle once or twice. Take it slow...

oh yeah, given the current forecast, what is the best route into utah tomorrow, (if I can actually go somewhere)

Check out the route I laid out for Mark above. For you, take 550 south to Ridgway, then CO-62 to CO-145 to CO-141 to 160 to Monticello. Follow the rest of Mark's route to Torrey.

The route I'm suggesting for you is EXACTLY the route I have planned for Sunday, as I'm going from Torrey to Montrose where we have a house and tenants who need to renew their lease Monday morning. I love that ride.

Thanks for the suggestion Fernando. I'll check that route out now. It's definitely very Christmas-like outside right now.

lawnchairboy

thanks

just got up, snow on the cars outside :(

we'll just have to get going and see after some java...I'm definitely heading south

I just plugged Fernando's suggested route into Mapsource and it's 1384 Kms (a bit of a hike). Mostly calling for showers and thunderstorms after noon along that route. Definitely warmer though.

Guess my choices are do Fernando's route, or stay here tonight and try I-70 tomorrow. Riding always seems better than sitting around, even if I decide to stop somewhere along the way before Torrey.

Biting my tounge trying not to give too much input since it is your ride and your decision...

The alternates are great rides, I have done them myself, BUT, and as the say- it is a big Butt, the "weather" is headed in the direction of each one and until you get on the western side of the mountains...(note these are the Rocky Mountains!) which is the defining land feature of the western half of the country... you will still have to traverse a high point/pass etc. How long will it take you to get to the pass? Where will the weather be when you have to deal with it?

When it comes to the Rockies, you only have two choices... go around or go through.

etc... good luck. See you in Torrey.

Bob

Looking at the current radar the precip in Colorado has lined itself up right down the length of the high part of I70, and the following blob seems to be headed in the same direction. I might not even head out into that myself...

Looking at the current radar the precip in Colorado has lined itself up right down the length of the high part of I70, and the following blob seems to be headed in the same direction. I might not even head out into that myself...

What about Fernando's suggested route, Killer?

Biting my tounge trying not to give too much input since it is your ride and your decision...

The alternates are great rides, I have done them myself, BUT, and as the say- it is a big Butt, the "weather" is headed in the direction of each one and until you get on the western side of the mountains...(note these are the Rocky Mountains!) which is the defining land feature of the western half of the country... you will still have to traverse a high point/pass etc. How long will it take you to get to the pass? Where will the weather be when you have to deal with it?

When it comes to the Rockies, you only have two choices... go around or go through.

etc... good luck. See you in Torrey.

Bob

Don't bite your tongue, Bob. What part of the route Fernando suggested for me gives you pause? I checking it out on maps now (and earler on Mapsource). Are you talking about I-25 going south from Denver?

Don't worry, you won't insult me by using words with fewer syllables.

I will let Killer say his own piece, but all the alternate routes (in the Colorado parts anyway) are directly in the path of the Low pressure front... by the time you get to the hard parts, the storm will be there...

You might consider laying low and safe and then hauling butt in behind it...

As Twisties suggested- the Colorado Road people are pretty much on top of things.

As long as you can get to Colorado Springs that route will probably be fine, there is a big blob over Arizona that might move up and meet you but by then you'll be low enough not to care.

Was looking at the CODOT cameras, Colorado Springs doesn't appear to have any snow on the ground though it's wet. I70 over Vail Pass has pretty heavy snow all around but the road appears to be clear, there's certainly going to be some slush though.

As long as you can get to Colorado Springs that route will probably be fine, there is a big blob over Arizona that might move up and meet you but by then you'll be low enough not to care.

Was looking at the CODOT cameras, Colorado Springs doesn't appear to have any snow on the ground though it's wet. I70 over Vail Pass has pretty heavy snow all around but the road appears to be clear, there's certainly going to be some slush though.

Never having ridden in it, I think I'll pass on the slush. I certainly gave myself lots of time with an early arrival planned in Torrey, so if I show up Wednesday, instead of today, it's not really a big deal. It would appear that all this stuff will have passed by Wednesday morning.

Archived