IGNORED

Video: Ortega Highway, The Road to Nowhere

russell_bynum

russell_bynum

Due to the heavy rains earlier this month, CA-74 aka "Ortega Highway" has been closed at various points along its length. Currently, it is open from the base at Lake Elsinore, to The Candy Store, but you still can't get all the way though. Since it is basically a road to nowhere right now, traffic is very light.

Last week, I got a chance to make a quick run up the road on the CBR600RR to test my new video setup.

Here is the result.

This is a Windows Media file (.WMV) because that's all I can make right now. It should play on the Windows boxes with no problem, and I believe there's a plug-in available for the Mac so you hippies can view it as well. smile.gif

I edited out the boring stuff, and the place where I get stuck behind contstruction traffic just downhill from "The Lookout", then added some music that seemed to fit the mood of the day.

A few things I found out:

1. The camera may add 10lbs, but it also removes 40mph. cool.gif Top speed in some of these corners was well into the triple-digits, but (to me, anyway) it looks very slow on tape.

2. Wow...every little mistake is right there glaring at me. dopeslap.gif

3. Sight lines are terrible on film. Both passes that you'll see me make were done with 1/4 to 1/2-mile of clear visibility up the road ahead, but that not apparent from the video.

The Honda continues to amaze me. It is so capable in the twisties that it really makes me look bad. Where the RT and Lisa's RS do all sorts of great things to cover your mistakes and make it look like you know what you're doing, the RR gives no such allowance. If you make a mistake, it broadcasts it loudly. On the other hand, if you do something just right, the reward is huge.

On the other hand, riding it on the slab is just about the most miserable riding experience you could imagine. The suspension is brutal, and the riding position is extreme...AND designed for a squatty little French-Canadian dude named Miguel...who is also in much better shape than me...and who will never have to ride the thing for more than 20 minutes at a pop.

Last week, I got a chance to make a quick run up the road on the CBR600RR to test my new video setup.

Here is the result.

Nice.

However... Dude, if you're going to shoot video through your windscreen, maybe buy a little a little Plexus and figure out what it's for?

This is a Windows Media file (.WMV) because that's all I can make right now. It should play on the Windows boxes with no problem, and I believe there's a plug-in available for the Mac so you hippies can view it as well.

Plays just fine on mine.

1. The camera may add 10lbs, but it also removes 40mph. Top speed in some of these corners was well into the triple-digits, but (to me, anyway) it looks very slow on tape.

Yup.

It's horrible. When I saw my UT-95 footage, I couldn't believe it. But now, I've gotten used to it; if you videotape it and show it to people, they will think you're slow. There could be worse things.

I think engine noise helps here.

2. Wow...every little mistake is right there glaring at me.

Like the fingerprints on the windscreen?

3. Sight lines are terrible on film. Both passes that you'll see me make were done with 1/4 to 1/2-mile of clear visibility up the road ahead, but that not apparent from the video.

Another problem. I'm sure people think we're nuts when they see some of the passes. No wonder folks get in such a tizzy around here.

I'm also (begrudgingly) a fan of the wider angle of the helmetcamera.com cam. I think it helps a bit. I think.

Greg

Russell that is too cool...I gotta figure out a way to put my camera (non-digital)on one of my bikes and get some Alps video before I leave Germany. I gotta try and get into this video editing thing.

Thanks, Russell, for this video.

Having never ridden it, I enjoyed the vicarious thrill.

Your complaint about video and speed impression reminds me of the Deal's Gap video last year. (not David's)

People railed about his "slow" speed. I watched it load on dial-up dopeslap.gif, and could see the speedo frame by frame. At times that bike was going close to 90 mph eek.gif, yet many of the "experts" criticized athe rider and commented about how much faster it could be done. Their estimates of his speed were off by 30% or more.

That said, I thought your video set-up worked well.

Glad you enjoyed the day and took the time to share.

What kind of speed does that bike carry thru the 180 degree turns that were marked by those arrows.

I'd do them at about 25 on a good day. wink.gif

Looking forward to riding there one day. thumbsup.gif

1. The camera may add 10lbs, but it also removes 40mph. cool.gif Top speed in some of these corners was well into the triple-digits, but (to me, anyway) it looks very slow on tape.

You need something faster than a 600 to make a Windows-based video look fast. tongue.gif

(Good work. I love motorcycle videos.)

The camera may add 10lbs, but it also removes 40mph.
Looked pretty fast to me. But hey, here's someone who is used to seeing five traffic lights each mile, and several roundabouts in between. frown.gifbncry.gif

Really, really nice job Russell. The Ortega Highway holds so many good memories for me that it's hard to count them all and I really enjoyed the clip. BTW, from some of your earlier posts I got the idea that you moved to Elsinore but still work in So. Orange County. If that assumption is correct, how in the world do you get to work with the highway out?

russell_bynum

Greg:

Dirty screen: I hit that windscreen on both sides with plexus THREE TIMES before I started up the hill. I think that stuff is permanently etched into the shield.

Engine noise: yeah, I'll definitely do that next time. It was a bit annoying running it the whole time, but I think I'll fade it in and out gently at the appropriate moments next time.

Tim: 180-degree turns: There's three of them. 2 marked at 30 towards the end of the clip, and one marked at 25 towards the begining. I roll into the 25mph one at 70, then get on the gas. exit speed is probaby 90-100ish. the two 30mph turns I usually roll in at 60 and get hard on the gas with an exit speed (on the CBR) of around 110. This time, on the second turn, I found water across the road in three places, so my exit from the bottom turn was in the 80mph range instead.

Philly: Yeah, this was the first attempt at video on the Honda. First attempt at video on a motorcycle. First attempt at capturing/editing video. I'm going to post something in one of the other forums to talk about my experinece, but I used the Sony camera, my XP-based laptop, Windows Movie Maker, iTunes, and that's it. Overall, it was VERY easy, and I think just about anyone could do it. I was definitely limited more by my creativity than my hardware or software.

smiller: Yeah, we live in Wildomar, which is just south of Lake Elsinore, and we work in Newport Beach. The normal commute is over Ortega Highway and takes an hour to 1:10 2-up on the RT, or 1:20-1:30 in the car. With Ortega closed, we're trying every alternate route we can find. I can plan on 2-3 hours to get to work in the morning, and the same (or worse) getting home. It blows. If they don't fix this soon, I'm going to call Jim Moore and see if he'll loan me an AV-8B for a while. grin.gif

I can plan on 2-3 hours to get to work in the morning, and the same (or worse) getting home.

Jeez!

This does blow!

Reminds me of my days in Chicago, but with snow! eek.gif

SWEET....Just what I needed thumbsup.gif We have no internet policy at our office and I get busted watching this. They think I have a motorcycle addiction as is...now I get caught leaning into the turns with you grin.gif

I am with Howard, I too NEED to come out twist a grip on that road.

ps...If I get fired you and Lisa need to make room for two more dogs, the three of us, our three cars and trucks and 4 more motorcycles. It will be one big party smile.gif

Nice video. When it started I was listening to U2 on the computer and it took a moment or two for me to realize why that song was playing. As I was watching it, I figured you were just out taking it easy because you were testing the video setup. I think the 40mph disappears because there's no peripheral view in the video; we only see the long view which robs us of a sense of speed.

Oh man, that was just what I was needing. Thanks for letting us ride along with you.

Btw, how does a guy your size fit on that bike? tongue.gif

Uh, can I borrow that weather?

You'd also have to take the massive rains that caused the slides that closed the highway... At least, if I was Russell dealing away my weather, that's what I'd demand.

Greg

very nice! especially when I look out the window and see 13 inches of snow! If its possible to wear it out I'm sure the cycle squad at the office will! Looks great! music is just right! Good job Russ! clap.gif

Will it be open the rest of the way by July?

I sincerely hope so. I can't take much more of this commute. dopeslap.gif

What a "Sweet-and-Sour" pill! Having Ortega closed means your commute is a nightmare, but on the plus side - you get to run the thing like that - GREAT video, BTW - I'm sincerely jealous!

As Adam implied, that road is usually so crowded that you almost NEVER get to play thru more than 2 or 3 turns before you're stuck behind either a cage or a squid who should be driving instead.

I say enjoy it while you can! cool.gif

(Warning - old guy's reminiscing-type story coming)

I was living/working in the San Luis Obispo area back in the mid-80's when CA Rt 1 got closed for a year or so because of a major slide just south of Big Sur. From there to Morro Bay literally became the "Road to Nowhere" - with zero traffic - almost like my own private ride. I immediately brought my old Ducati (75 860GT set up for cafe') to stay with me; we sure had some wonderful weekends back then. It was so deserted that birds wouldn't move when you came by; they had lost their familiarity of vehicles. crazy.gif

russell_bynum

I get sound but no video on both my Mac and the PC at work. What gives?

It doesn't work if you have linked brakes.

tongue.gif

I get sound but no video on both my Mac and the PC at work. What gives?

It doesn't work if you have linked brakes.

tongue.gif

Nah, worked on my PC. Must be the wrong color RT he has in the driveway!

M

Grey is the "classy color..."

Russell ...

Enjoyed the video. Well done.

On the way to Spokane from Cody this summer there were a couple of places that I thought having a video set up would be great.

Nicely Done Russell! thumbsup.gif

Both the ride and the video! clap.gif

Thanks for sharing it with us! Looked like a very cool road with minimal traffic to get in the way.

Jim cool.gif

Personally, I can't believe a video like that is even allowed on this site. I deem it absolutely unsafe and unnacceptable riding practices. You are indeed a danger to yourself and the community around you. It's just too bad the CHP wasn't around to see you passing on the double yellow reapeatedly. It's no wonder they patrol that road so heavily. It's just squids like you that muck it up for those of us out for a leisure ride with our SO's.

Furthermore, this is a BMW site devoted to Sport Touring on the best 2 wheel steed about. Why must we be subjected to video of some squid on his cutesy little Yamahondasaki SRJRRTX6000TXR or whatever that thing is. Obviously out trying to make up for where he lacks elsewhere. Well, you may look into something different than tearing up the countryside on your little crotchy toy.

Regards....

Furthermore, this is a BMW site devoted to Sport Touring on the best 2 wheel steed about. Why must we be subjected to video of some squid on his cutesy little Yamahondasaki SRJRRTX6000TXR or whatever that thing is. Obviously out trying to make up for where he lacks elsewhere. Well, you may look into something different than tearing up the countryside on your little crotchy toy.

The rules don't apply to moderators.

Greg

The rules don't apply to moderators.

That's Administrator to you, son.

Well, you'll note I didn't capitalize it. I'd argue that "moderator", due to lack of enforcement, has become a generic. When people speak of "the moderators", I don't think they're excluding you, Fernando, David, and Spike.

My language was chosen in an attempt to annoy the widest audience possible in the fewest words. "Legal Research, Writing, and Analysis I" in action.

Greg

My language was chosen in an attempt to annoy the widest audience possible in the fewest words.

Like that's ever been a problem. ooo.gif

(emoticon free since 6:25 pm today)

That double yellow line thing bothers me too. I figure they painted them for a reason other than they had to use up the paint before lunch. In my neck of the woods there can be hidden driveways etc, in fact there is a double yellow line in front of my hidden driveway. I can't think of a single good reason to take that chance to hurt yourself or worse some innocent person when you have thousands of miles without a double yellow line to use.

My 1 cent worth.

I can't think of a single good reason to take that chance to hurt yourself or worse some innocent person when you have thousands of miles without a double yellow line to use.

I don't even know where to start. smile.gif

So I'll just say that double yellows are created for the lowest common denominator, like a loaded dump truck...or a rule follower. tongue.gif

Having said that, must every video that's posted end up with father talk about riding in a certain way?

It's no wonder I don't post more. It's like an inquisition. tongue.gif

I can't think of a single good reason to take that chance to hurt yourself or worse some innocent person when you have thousands of miles without a double yellow line to use.

I don't even know where to start. smile.gif

So I'll just say that double yellows are created for the lowest common denominator, like a loaded dump truck...or a rule follower. tongue.gif

Having said that, must every video that's posted end up with father talk about riding in a certain way?

It's no wonder I don't post more. It's like an inquisition. tongue.gif

Well, son, just relax on the rack and let me jump in here. (and remember, no one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition.)

Double yellows probably mean a lot more where you live than they do out here. In the western states, they are present where there is limited sight lines ahead, but where we ride, driveways and intersections are much fewer. There often is more than enough room and sight line to make a safe pass on a motorcycle, but not with many cars. Sometimes you can see a quarter mile ahead or more, but there is still a double. That scenario may play out for many, many miles, with very few legal places to pass, and drivers going at or below the speed limit. While it is still illegal to pass on double yellow in these circumstances, there is much less of a safety factor than you would realize without being out here and riding these roads. I'm not talking about double yellows in more of a residential area or where you do have limited sight lines. But when you can clearly see that there is nothing coming for a long distance, and the driver in front of you refuses to obey the law requiring slower moving vehicles to pull over to let faster vehicles pass, passing on a double yellow is not such a bad thing. Now I'm not advocating for anyone to pass on a double yellow. That's up to each of us. But in the right situations, even prudent riders have been known to do it. YMMV

...when you have thousands of miles without a double yellow line to use.
If I remember correctly there isn't a helluva lot of miles on the Ortega Highway without a double yellow line... smirk.gif

I regularly ride the Ortega Hwy. There are usually cars poking along, sightseeing, who refuse to use the turnouts for slower traffic or fully loaded trucks that can't get over 25-30 mph. There are very few side roads for traffic to enter the roadway. If you didn't pass these slow-pokes, it would be a long ride from one side to the other. There are plenty of places where you can safely pass on a motorcycle (over the double-yellow lines).

russell_bynum

In my neck of the woods there can be hidden driveways etc, in fact there is a double yellow line in front of my hidden driveway. I can't think of a single good reason to take that chance to hurt yourself or worse some innocent person when you have thousands of miles without a double yellow line to use.

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to putting myself into the oncoming traffic lane unless I KNOW it's OK. In this case, I know Ortega Highway VERY well. It is on my daily commute and I have more miles on it than I care to mention.

I'll also say that Ortega is a nasty road in that there are places that LOOK OK to pass, but they're not because there's a dip or something that hides what is actually happening.

I know the road well enough to know those places from the ones were you can easily pass.

In the first pass....the road makes a big right-hand turn...probably 150 degrees...along the edge of the mountain. The entire road surface about 1/2 mile up is visible from the point where I pull out. In 1/2 mile, I know I'll have no problem getting out and around a cage, and back in. In the video, you'll see me take a nice slow, gentle arc to get back into my lane....I had enough visibility to do that.

On the second pass, you have a long straight coming down the hill. You see all the way down the straight, and all the way around the next turn (a left). That's probably 3/4 of a mile. There's a turnout on the right, at the point where I actually make the pass.

When the video fades in, I've already been down the long straight, watching the turnout and on down the road around the turn. The reason I didn't take the pass on the long straight is because there was a white sedan (in addition to the white pickup) who was parked in the turnout in a position that made me think he might be about to pull out. As soon as I was clear of that sedan, I still had a good sight distance down the road around the turn, so I made the pass.

Both of those (the straight, in particular) are perfect examples of places with WAAAAAY more than enough room to pass safely, that are painted double-yellow. I even pass people on that straight (from the second pass in the video) in my big sluggish 3/4 ton Dodge pickup. There's MORE than enough room for a bike to do it.

Ima reckon it's to late to say "Jeebus, I was just clownin'" ??

I actually thought it was a sweet vid, with some nice lines, onna road I'm dyin' to ride.

Ah well, at least the knucklehead author knows where my heart is. thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

onna road I'm dyin' to ride.

The problem is it's dern near impossible to get a clean run. This was 2pm on a Friday, AND the road basically goes nowhere...and I still had people to pass.

Mid-morning during the week is OK. Best is really late at night (midnight or later) on a weekday. Of course...you gotta have a pretty serious light setup to pull that off in the dark.

One sorta cool thing...at commute time, the LEO's don't seem to care about bikes. I can't tell you how many times I've come around a corner on the wrong side of the road, and a CHP is sitting there in a turnout, or coming down the road towards me, or in the middle of the line of 12 cars that I just passed over the double-yellow. ONE time, I got lights flashed once, but that's it.

The weekend is a totally different story...there's basically zero tolerance.

I'm a little late to this party.

First thought: Fine first effort! thumbsup.gif

Second thought: Damn, I picked the wrong day to watch this. It's snowing here this morning. That video made me itch in a way that the lyrics allude to:

I have held the hand of the Devil ...

Ditto the comment earlier on the choice of soundtrack.

Third thought: If we ever ride together, no zoom lens has yet been made that could find me as far behind as I'd be. eek.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived