IGNORED

Making ST -> RT-lite

KTsRidin

So, for those that have thought about a F800ST as a lite version of the RT, what would you do to make the ST more RT-like?

I have both an RT (with an excess of 115,000 miles) and a ST. But, I'm seriously thinking of moving to just one bike... the ST. However, the RT is great for cooler and crappier weather because of its fuller fairing. And is cooler in stop-n-go traffic because of the heat that comes off of the left side of the ST. The RT also seems more comfortable for longer rides (i.e., in excess of 700 miles a day). If you have the same sort of experience ... and even if you don't but have thought about what you might do to use an ST for long touring and year-round use (in temps in the 20's), jot down your thoughts here.

Thanks for your suggestions!

After a couple years of the RTP which has followed 20 years of a R65LS, 217K miles, I could go for the loss of a couple hundred pounds and the gain of 30 HP the ST offers over the LS. It has better weather coverage than the LS, less than the RT. It has NEW and the other bikes have 'Milage'.

There is a lot to like and better MPG than either of the prior bikes.

I just can't convince myself it's worth money! How much is the Versys? dopeslap.gif

Put the Ztechnik screen on it. Get the Corbin seat. Add the BMW top case.

Add some frame sliders and call it a day.

That's what we did with Jamie's and she absolutely loves it now! thumbsup.gif

I wonder if the after-market will come up with something to increase the fairing's wind protection. The add-on wind deflectors that Honda offers for the ST1300 come to mind.

Any thoughts on Givi 35 liter side cases instead of the official BMW cases?

Bob

Put the Ztechnik screen on it. Get the Corbin seat. Add the BMW top case.

Add some frame sliders and call it a day.

That's what we did with Jamie's and she absolutely loves it now! thumbsup.gif

Phil, did you give up on the bar risers?

Phil, did you give up on the bar risers?

After pulling the forks, re-routing the brake line, etc. and then speaking with the BMW techs about it and realizing that, in order to make it work, you have to partial dismantle the bike more than already done to re-route the clutch cable, etc. I returned them.

The screen made the biggest difference.

These are all great suggestions. I'm kind of disappointed about the bar risers as I was definitely thinking about this as an option. It still is, but I'm likely to have the local shop do the work... so it just means saving a bit more before I can afford it.

Thanks again!

Archived