IGNORED

Giant Hot Dog..........dogs Sea Marshall....

USAF1

FIRST I want to apologize for those who absolutely hate stuff that go way beyond the borders and you have to scroll right or left to see it all. But I think that if I'd made the "stitch" foto any smaller it just wouldn't have made the same impact as it does.....even at this really, really, really small size. (It's made up of 6 or seven shots).

Now.......for the "Rest of the Story"................

So....there I am sitting in my chair, watching a bit of the boob tube before I have to leave for church. It's 0946 and I've got my nice Levi's on, a good shirt....my just waxed and polished boots............ and the phone rings!! I answer it..."Hey good buddy....how're you doing?" he hollers. It's Tim (heretofore known as Sea Marshall) Hustead....traitor extraordinare to the RT cause (he threw in the towel) and now rides the K-GT (I think it is) tongue.gifcrazy.gif. He wants to go for a ride over to Roslyn, Washington for some jerky and other smoked edible meats!! "Where?" says I. "Roslyn".....he says again. "Where's that at?" I say. "You remember Northern Exposure?" says he. "Oh Yeah....Roslyn.....of course I remember!" dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Of course I've heard of it....turns out I've been past the turn-off a thousand times in the ten years or so that we've lived out here!! More dopeslap.gif...... but have just never put 2 and 2 together to equal 6!!

It's 0950 now, and we're to meet at 1030 at the intersection of Hwy 18 and I-90 about 25 or 30 miles East of Seattle. I run for the garage (don't have time to call and tell the SO that a National Emergency has come up, cuz she's still in Sunday School, and I don't want to have the phone ringing in that room!!) I run for the garage after telling my F-I-L that I'm leaving, and that I'd call Madi, my wife, and his daughter, from somewhere along the way.

Get my 1st Gear pants on.....the Totes rubbers.....the Gerbing.....and my jacket.....helmet and gloves.....wheel the bike out..climb on, plug in and fire it up. 11 minutes after the call, I'm on the road. Have to make a pit stop at the Chevron station before heading out the back way to hit the road I need to be on.

By 1028, I'm waiting at the agreed upon ramp.....No Sea Marshall in sight. So I figure I can call the SO and explain why I won't be sitting next to her in our usual pew. She'd decided that I needed a cell phone of my own the other day, and so had gotten a new one (for her of course) and had given me the old one. I hadn't even had time to really figure out how to use it, let alone wipe off the lipstick smudges! So, I took off my helmet...pressed the buttons until her name showed up, and hit the auto-dialer thingy....put the phone to my ear, and then realized I might not be able to hear her because of the noise from the passing traffic....the wind etc., so I really jammed the earpiece in pretty good.....heard it ring...ring...ring...ring, at least 10 times, and figure I'm really gonna be in trouble for making all that racket while she's in classes! Nothing more irritating than listening to somebody's phone go off while in church, ya know eek.gifeek.gif Finally heard somebody talking in the background, and figure that I got her answering service...so when it was done, I left a message. Or so I thought!! Turns out I was way out of range from any of the transmitting towers, and it was a recording saying so......but heck, I couldn't hear it. Didn't realize what had happened until several hours later. smirk.gifsmirk.gif

Tim finally shows up and we're off.

About 45 minutes later, we pull into the ski resort at the top of the Snoqualmie Pass....guess what? There's NO SNOW...3 carloads of oriental tourists taking pictures of each other, and us!! But after a bit of leg stretching, and Sea Marshall making grumbling noises about the lack of sufficient heat from his seat....we're back on the road.

Not far down the road, I pull over to take a couple of scenic shots that I know will be great "stitched" together!

I-90%20Pass--Lake%20stitch-1.jpg

And them Oscar Meyer Weinermobile blows by while we're sittin' there....and he sure wasn't in any sedate mileage contest either!! So, after a bit we finally catch up and I pass this big boy, after motioning that I want Sea Marshall to take position next to him while I pull ahead to get the shots I want....

But I think the driver of the "Hot Dog" was infatuated with Tims bike.....and he kept getting closer and closer...

SMARSHALL...3.jpg

SMARSHALL...2.jpg

SMARSHALL...1.jpg

Maybe an hour after this (could have been less....) we finally take the exit for Roslyn, and pull into town a few minutes later (the temperature has gone from 54 degrees when we started...to 39 degrees when we hit town) and go straight to the market for our MEAT at Carek's Market. This is Tim....and he's hungry!!

S,MARSHALL...6.jpg

After tasting just about everything they had on display....we made our choices (they bag each item separately....and I think we each had 6 or 7 little paperbags full of goodies) and did a quick tour of downtown before heading out.

This house had the whole west end painted with.....

SMARSHALL...4.jpg

and the famous restaurant in the series is seen here....

SMARSHALL...5.jpg

We made a quick gas stop for Tim....and headed out of town to go thru a new sub-division of where they're planning on 3 or 400 homes with 3 golf courses, some of which will be overlooking the valley we came in thru. We did come upon a dozen or so elk bedded down in the trees, but they spooked, and ran off before I could get the camera out.

The ride back was pretty uneventful cool.gif until we got within a couple of miles of the pass............and then we picked up the speed a bit. Those of you that know this bit of road will understand what I'm saying here. wink.gifwink.gif

I lost Tim not very long after my needle hit 125....and kept it in the triple digits until passing every vehicle that had passed us in the previous 15 miles or so.

When Tim finally caught up....he was extremely busy wiping the sweat off his helmet!! cool.gifcool.gif

I reckon we did about 200 miles or so today. Made it home with enough time left over to make copies of the video I'd done of Tim...and of some of the other shots of him and his bike from today. Boy am I getting good on the video copying thing!!

Tim...it was a blast...thanks for the phone call!!

Pat

Francois_Dumas

Great story and nice pictures Pat! You never told us what your wife said when you turned up from being AWOL <grin>.

I have a friend who flies his Maule out of Renton.. imagine that....I was watching the airfield webcam and saw that the clouds were pretty low this weekend... yup, I'd take a heated saddle too if I could ! smirk.gif

There was a couple of moments of silence, until I admitted to not being able to hear what the phone was saying, and leaving a message, where no message could be left dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif Then she laughed because I've always been sort of handicapped when it comes to things like cell phone programming....or the TV remote, and she has fun using that against me.

Whoops, almost forgot.....she did pass on to me that the Pastor wouldn't be too upset with me.....if I shared some of what I brought back, with him...... grin.gifthumbsup.gifgrin.gifthumbsup.gif

I find all this absolutely amazing....I'm talking to you..way over there....and you have another friend that is just down the street from me....way over here... You wouldn't happen to have a granddaughter, less than a year old that wants to learn the violin would you?? grin.gifgrin.gif

Pat

Francois_Dumas

No, no granddaughter (yet) smirk.gif

But amazing it is ! You know, Pat, I am not always happy with what modern technology has brought us over the past, oh 7 decades or so.... nuclear bombs, television to take young peoples imagination away, robots to do our work, polution that seems aimed at destroying earths nature...

But the internet is a blessing for many people and it allows us to communicate to and learn from people we would otherwise NEVER have met in our entire lifetimes. I think the man who invented it should get the Times 'Man of the Year' award... every single year thumbsup.gif

I think the man who invented it should get the Times 'Man of the Year' award... every single year thumbsup.gif

Over here, the man that claims to have invented it would be Al Gore tongue.gif IMHO, putting him on the cover would be a misuse of ink resources grin.gif And speaking of wasting resources, Al Gore was recently ticketed for speeding on Hwy 26 (OR) driving a Lincoln (at least he got the car right wink.gif )

Pat, I even read a story once that Al was going to open a restaurant, you don't suppose he could of been behind the wheel of the Big Dog....nah

But I do love the digital town square, building relationships now that seemed unlikely to develop only a few years ago. Thanks to Cary for lighting the match and David for carrying the torch, because this forum format is the primordial pool of personal phreindships clap.gif

And if Al truly deserves a digital statue in the square, I'll raise the BIGgest pidgeons ever seen. smirk.gif

He wants to go for a ride over to Roslyn, Washington for some jerky and other smoked edible meats!!

A noble cause! smile.gif

And them Oscar Meyer Weinermobile blows by while we're sittin' there....

A sign that you made the right choice and was on a worthy quest.

Jerky....giant encased meats...I think I've had a dream like this... smile.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Carek's is a great little place! I went there once on a hot day (102 degrees once I got to Wenatchee) and the wonderful stink from the jerky stayed in my saddlebags for a month afterwards! grin.gif

Roslyn is also where there is a "Shaft Street". I believe it's the only place in the state so named. But when I got there I found it to be a mining town so I suppose that's not too much of a surprise. I had to snap a pic for a state club ride.

Great write up and pics . . . too bad though that conditions which allowed a winter ride over "the pass" are also hammering businesses dependent on winter sports . . .

Yep, ole Pat put the hurtin on me and I couldn't stay up w/him while he was doing at least 189 I thought.... If anyone ever gets the chance to hook up w/the bugger, take the opportunity cause he's a blast to hang around with. clap.gif

Archived