IGNORED

Motorcycle Rentals, in Tucson, AZ leave a lot to be desired.

Rob_Mayes

Here are the emails that outline my experience in renting an HD (my first mistake) from Big Sky Motorcycles (my second mistake) in Tucson AZ. What experiences have you had?

To: bigskytucson@bigskymotorcycles.com

Subject: HD Rental

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 15:48:40 -0600

Hi Caren:

I rented a motorcycle from your company on February 2, 2008.

I found Big Sky Motorcycles on the Internet and reviewed the page on Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic

http://www.bigskymotorcycles.com/ind...d=28&Itemid=10

While it did not say what year the cycles were, the specifications were very specific including a 6-speed transmission and no mention of Python custom exhausts.

When I asked about the cycles I was told there were two 2007s and I put deposit on my credit card to reserve one of them.

When I arrived that morning, I was told the 2007s were still out, but they had a 2006 for me. In addition, as I rode away with the 2006 the exhaust was extremely loud. This was not a stock HD. I examined the pipes and saw that they were aftermarket Python pipes. They were so loud my ears still ring at night.

The cycle ran good and road well, but I feel that this was a bait and switch transaction. If I would have known this rental would a 2006, a 5 speed, or had a loud exhaust I would have shopped elsewhere for a rental.

Please review my charges, consider a significantly adjustment to the fees you charged me for the rental, and forward your response to me.

Rob Mayes MSE/MTD

Senior Software Engineer

www.PremierDataSoftware.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:26 AM

To: Rob Mayes

Subject: RE: HD Rental

Rob,

I received a "Red Light Running" ticket in the mail yesterday. I have responded to the Tucson Police Department with your information as the operator of the vehicle at the time the Red Light Running occurred. (see attached scanned documents)

It is very unfortunate you had such a bad experience renting our 2006 Heritage Softail, however in light of you putting approximately 200 + miles on the bike and deciding to proceed with the rental after being informed it was not a 2007 we have decided no refund on your rental is warrented.

Thank You,

Caren

Big Sky Motorcycles

www.bigskymotorcycles.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Caren:

Mail me the ticket promptly so we can deal with it, I cannot read your images clearly.

I think your logic is flawed on the refund.

1. I was told there was a per day charge with no mention of a limit on the mileage. If the mileage on a 24 hour rent was limited to 50 miles I should have been told. 200 miles for a day on a motorcycle is nothing. It was almost 30 miles to pickup and return the cycle to you shop.

2. I was told what you had available and it was a 2007 and was asked me to pay a non-refundable down payment for that rental vehicle. I was not given an option of getting my deposit returned, only taking a larger cycle that I was inexperienced with. Your staff person was informed at the time I was unhappy and he told me he would ask you about an adjustment on the rates. I clearly contested the whole affair and was at convinced I would be treated fairly.

It is beyond me why you did not offer a small refund. I have been dealing with the public for years and have always been willing to listen to a customer when they are unhappy and all they want is an adjustment, usually they demand full refunds and expect to be compensated for their aggravation. I had a legitimate complaint and you get greedy with a few misguided thoughts of “Your drove it more that we expected and your really were not forced to do business with us”. Any time “fraud in the inducement” can be proved any protections a contract provides are null and void.

I will turn to the Tucson Better Business Bureau and will post my experiences with your firm on using these key search engine words Motorcycle Rentals, Tucson, Bad Experience and will suggest to our club members next year on our Tucson ride we avoid your firm since you do not deliver on the agreed upon reserved rentals and penalize on mileages if they exceed 200.

Rob Mayes MSE/MTD

Senior Software Engineer

www.PremierDataSoftware.com

It's incredibly bad form to post emails on a public forum unless you have their permission. I hope you had permission to do that, because otherwise I think it's pretty rude...no matter how you were treated.

And while I'm on the "grump wagon," I'm tired of brand new posters coming to discussion boards to shame vendors. Work it out and quit whining. We're not talking about curing cancer, here.

It really doesn't seem like that big a problem. You got to ride, you ran a red light, and you rode a five speed instead of a six. Life is good when you get to ride. There are some people on this board who smile even when they rent Goldwings tongue.gif

Ride on.....

Thanks for your comments.

I have no issue with the ticket. I think the new cameras and red-light running detection is great. In the long run these devices will help protect motorcycle riders.

Here are pictures of our Tucson to Nogales Ride. It was great. We had a geat time seeing beautiful country and enjoying good weather. I will add some details in another post.

http://www.cyclecranks.com/Tucson_Nogales.html

My issue is any bait and switch tatic that seems be used so often by businesses. Take into consideration the teasor rates used to attrack home mortage customers or credit card that promise lower rates, only to be changed to super high rates after the first late payment. While it is the responsibility of a consumer to know what the are doing, it is not acceptable for a business to make the consumer believe they are getting one thing and then making them settle for something less.

PS: I joined this forum this fall when I bought my 2000 R1100RT and look forward to many years of touring. My first big trip planned is to Gillette Wyoming this year.

... There are some people on this board who smile even when they rent Goldwings tongue.gif

Ride on.....

Hey, I resemble that remark, sort of... I just rode my first Wing the other day and was VERY pleasantly surprised. Having read so many posts regarding the handling of the bike I have to say the Wing clearly exceeded my expectations! Yeah I know, if ya set expectations low enough, blah-blah-blah! lmao.gif

Guess fun is in the mind of the beholder and I just seem to be able to find fun on most every bike I ride. Go figure thumbsup.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Your last reply on the subject "it is beyond me..." virtually guarantees that the vendor will just dig in their heels and refuse anything. They have your CC number and have made the charge. You have no leverage other than to contact your CC company and maybe you'll see some action there.

You coming to the Unrally? smile.gif

Rob_Mayes,

As soon as I saw your title, I figured it was Caren at Big Sky. They remain the only negative motorcycle rental experience I've ever had. Though I have owned 5 road bikes, I have rented in several states. All were positive experiences except for Caren.

I rented their Wing, and I noted a tear in the seat upon return. I pointed it out to them, and they said they would repair probably for 75-100 dollars, though I had to add an additional 250+ deposit to my credit card pending repair. Caren never called. Caren never returned my calls over several weeks. Finally I got a hold of her, and she said they bought a new seat with my credit card deposit. I asked for the old one so I could repair and sell. She said no way--it remained theirs also.

I lodged a BBB complaint, but could not come to any resolution. I did call two other Tucson rental companies who advised me they would have released the item to me if they replaced it with a new one from my money.

If I rent again in Tucson, I'll try Eagle Rider or that company at the airport.

rOB:

If I read this correctly - you should of spoken long and hard before you flung your leg over the HD.

Wrong this - wrong that -- THAT'S when you bark up that it is mostly wrong -

They didn't supply what you agreed on when you put down the deposit.

If you ride their rental anyway and "put up with the wrongness" you've literally taken away any recourse for gaining anything back for the "Wrongness".

Had you put up a stink before a key was turned on you probably could of walked without any damage to your creditcard and rented something else.

In retrospect, that's what should of been done.

Get your deposit back (they didn't supply what you had reserved) and walk down to the next place.

simple...

It was never about the money. In fact, I told Caren a 25% discount for riding the three year old HD would show that they were at least owning up to to the issue. When I rented the cycle I did contest the whole affair. The person on staff said he would discuss it with Caren and see what could be done.

It was never about the money. In fact, I told Caren a 25% discount for riding the three year old HD would show that they were at least owning up to to the issue. When I rented the cycle I did contest the whole affair. The person on staff said he would discuss it with Caren and see what could be done.

Pretty sad commentary on their level of customer service. When you are done with them, send them a link to this. Always good for bad companies to get the publicity they deserve......And know about it.

Rob, you did not "contest the whole affair". You might have complained at the time, but you went ahead with it of your own free will. You rented a 2006 knowing what it was and without knowing the terms. You then rode it for 200 miles and now you're having regrets about your decision.

It sounds like you received a bad deal from them. I thank you for the warning. I agree that if I'd flown in expecting everything to be set up and ready to go, I'd have a problem with either take what we offer or waste another half day going somewhere else. Can you let us know what the BBB has to say?

It might be nice also if someone would inform the dealer that he is being bad mouthed here and see if he has a rebuttal above and beyond--you rode it, ergo you approved of it.

Thanks for your advice. I did ride the cycle, but I was not about to sacrifice my deposit and had little chance or time to mitigate the issue. But this is often how bait and switch works. The deal is sealed and in the last moment after the buyer had committed time and effort, one switches the goods. This is a simple concept and happens to all of us more than it should, but that does not make it right. Once I paid the deposit the goods should have been delivered as contracted.

Ask yourself, If you put down a non-refundable deposit to buy a 2007 Dodge Charger from a classified add seller, then after you flew down to pick up the auto you found that the 2007 was a 2006 what would you do? I always like to thinks these kind of things are just ineptitute on ones part, but if the seller knew or should have known then that is considered "fraud in the inducement".

I like the discussion. My efforts here are to share my experiences so others can ask some tough questions in an attempt to avoid simular situations. Again, Thanks.

I think you got taken advantage of by a less than ethical company. Its good info for other potential customers. To all those who are so quick to say that he should have demanded that his deposit be refunded and gone elsewhere - easy to say and not so easy to do - especially in the middle of a trip.

Lighten up!!!

Aluminum_Butt

Ask yourself, If you put down a non-refundable deposit to buy a 2007 Dodge Charger from a classified add seller, then after you flew down to pick up the auto you found that the 2007 was a 2006 what would you do? (emphasis mine)

But you didn't buy the bike, you rented it. What constitutes a material difference in something you buy is different than for something you rent.

For me, then, it really comes down to how material the differences were. 2006 vs. 2007 on a rental bike - who cares. Five speed vs. six speed...depends I guess, but not too material on a rented Harley that you only have to live with for 200 miles. Loud pipes...I'd guess that most of their clientele LOVES that the bikes don't have stock pipes.

I understand you feel you were wronged. But the things that made you very angry would have been, at most, an annoyance to me.

In addition to what Aluminum Butt said, if the 2006 had been completely unacceptable, I think you would have found that the "non-refundable" deposit could have been refunded.

Future inventory in the rental business is at best an educated guess. Expecting otherwise just isn't realistic. That's why car rental companies will let you reserve a class of car and not a particular model. And even then, they sometimes need to make substitutions. It's all negotiable.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

If you don'd mind BMW's for a rental, I'd try Iron Horse the next time in Tucson. First rate outfit.

Not sure why you chose that company, with so many options in the area.

Going to their website, it is obvious what type of bike and rider they cater to. Read the Testimonial pages.

Looking at the bikes for rent, some are listed with aftermarket exhaust systems. dopeslap.gif

There was another rental location just around the corner, well within walking distance.

There are many in the area, all a short cab ride away.

The website didn't list particular model years, perhaps a rental agent told you that. But, it is comon practice for inventory to move around and comparable rental vehicles to be offered.

If you didn't feel good about the deal, you had options.

Besides, it wasn't the loud exhaust that caused you to run the red light.

Unless you didn't hear it change because of the exhaust?

It was never about the money. /quote]

1. If it was never about the money, then why did you ask for it?

2. As others have said, if you didn't like the bike up front, you shouldn't have taken it.

3. If a company is renting out a harley, I'm guessing that a good portion of their clients would LOVE those loud pipes and pay extra for that feature!

Just my take on it,

Dan

If you don'd mind BMW's for a rental, I'd try Iron Horse the next time in Tucson. First rate outfit.

We also rented a BMW R1200GS from Iron Horse and it was a first rate rental and outfit. The advance deposit reserved what was promised and delivered. You are correct, they are a first rate outfit.

Archived