IGNORED

Can't find Loctite 2701, any idea abbout Permatex

Nevets

Could someone help me pick the right threadlocker for the swingarm reassembly. The BMW manual calls out Loctite 2701. I’ve found a reference that indicates Loctite 2701 (Replaces Loctite 270).

I found another reference that indicates it is green.

I’ve only been able to find Permatex brand around here. Any idea which Permatex type would be appropriate? Red?

Don't want to put the wrong stuff on and get it "stuck" permanently.

Could someone help me pick the right threadlocker for the swingarm reassembly. The BMW manual calls out Loctite 2701. I’ve found a reference that indicates Loctite 2701 (Replaces Loctite 270).

I found another reference that indicates it is green.

I’ve only been able to find Permatex brand around here. Any idea which Permatex type would be appropriate? Red?

Don't want to put the wrong stuff on and get it "stuck" permanently.

Steve, I just LocTite 272.. It has about the same temperature properties & is pretty darn tough.. Also available in the USA..

I guess you can compare the 272 to the 2701 on the LocTite site..

I just use the 272 because I have a bunch of it handy here as I use it on a lot of high strength applications..

No locTite will get stuck if you use heat to remove it..

If you want removable with similar strength then maybe go with 266..

If you want to go with the 272 & can’t find any let me know & I can send you a bottle.. You can send it back with the clutch tool when done & it moves on it’s own..

How you doing on that trans/clutch??

Twisty

Trans reassembly going fine, albeit slowly...

I tried the clutch (lever on the handlebar) and got a scare. Worked real easy. Reeaaal easy. Got worried and tried engaging and disengaging the clutch while turnnig the trans output shaft. Everything was fine, just wasn't used to how easy the clutch is supposed to feel.

Singarm and etc going back on.

I'm wondering if Permatex "red" would be approximately the same, snice I can't seem to find a translation. Kind of weird the original Loctite was green....

Steve---Click Link below..

LocTite Usage

Note: Blue is too low of a breakaway torque & torque retention..

By looking the chart, Loc/Tite 270 would be closer than the 272 I use but I have always used 272 as I have plenty handy..

I don't think you will find the 2701 available in the US.. At least my supplier doesn't show it as a US product..

Twisty

Steve, I can’t seem to find the specs on the breakaway torque & prevailing torque on the Permatex red thread locker.. That being said I wouldn’t be afraid to use it as that is a pretty universal locking compound.. Probably the worst thing that will happen is the length of time it takes to cure.. The 2701 is well suited for use on non ferrous applications as it has some type of curing agent as well as it is anaerobic.. For most LocTite products to cure fast it not only takes lack of air (anaerobic) but also contact with a ferrous metal.. Given a longer time the Permatex red thread locker will also cure..

As far as removal you will need heat for the 2701 as well as the other high strength lock products..

If it will help you out I have LocTite 290,, 242,, 262,, 271,, 272,, 609 in my fireproof cabinet here at the house.. That is about all I use on any of my projects..

Twisty

....... in my fireproof cabinet here at the house.. That is about all I use on any of my projects..

Twisty

OK, I'm starting to worry....

Just kidding, I'll pick up some Permatex red tomorrow..

thumbsup.gif

I you REALLY want the 2701 stuff, there is a BMW OEM part number for it on the Hammersley online parts fiche: 33 17 2 331 095

I chose to use blue. I marked the heads of the pins on the paralever so that I can monitor any loosening over time.

Archived