IGNORED

Marty Hill's Kiwi Discovery Adventure

artig

Marty Hill's Kiwi Discovery Adventure

Marty arrived in NZ early on December 31, flying in from Los Angeles.

marty_tiger_moth.jpg

That wasn't the one he had ordered, so he went off to show the flight planner which one he was supposed to have flown.

marty_ardmore.jpg

After sorting out the problems, it was off in search of sheep.

marty_argo.jpg

None were to be found. The pig was the only one who seemed really interested.

marty_wheelie.jpg

More misunderstandings. Instead of the F650GS he had ordered, he was given the new F250GS to ride.

marty_f250gs.jpg

Fortunately, with his talents, transforming it into a Cagiva Raptor Xtra was not a huge problem. Hey presto!!

marty_cagiva.jpg

During lunch he tried explaining how to perform that feat. Gerda seems to be showing signs of disbelief.

marty_lunch.jpg

Probably a reasonable reaction. By the time we reached Karioitahi Beach it had turned back into an F250GS. Marty looks stunned.

marty_karioitahi.jpg

At the Orua Bay Bird Gardens there wasn't too much luck pulling the birds. They stayed away from our tables.

marty_orua_bay.jpg

With an off-road bike it should have been easy to ride right up to the lookout at the Manukau Heads Signal Station, but Marty took the long, exhausting climb with the rest of us.

marty_manukau_heads.jpg

Finally, wondering how he fits into the picture at the Hunua Falls.

marty_hunua.jpg

Marty flew from Auckland to Christchurch on January 2, to start the actual ride through the country. Hopefully he will learn to use his new digital camera before the ride starts, and will manage to post a few additions to this thread along the way. Have a good ride, Marty.

For those who may be in doubt, a sprinkling of smileys and emoticons can be applied to the text of this post.

PS. These photos will stay on my web site for only a limited time. After a month or two the image links will be broken.

None were to be found. The pig was the only one who seemed really interested.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~arne/Marty/marty_wheelie.jpg Hopefully he will learn to use his new digital camera before the ride starts, and will manage to post a few additions to this thread along the way.

That's a really CUTE pig smile.gif.

I've yet to see a camera in Marty's hands in any of these pictures of him tongue.gif. Where's the camera Marty? You should have had plenty of time on the flight over to figure out how the camera works blush.gif.

Wheels Rollin'
Finally, wondering how he fits into the picture at the Hunua Falls.

marty_hunua.jpg

This is a very cool photo, Arne -- an' probably a very popular spot as well... Thanks so much for sharin' these with us...

-- Bill

That's a really CUTE pig smile.gif.

Wheelie is a kunekune, a special NZ breed. Very friendly and sociable. Loves wandering out among the cattle. And loves being fed. He's now 14 years old and still going strong. He was actually pre-prepared about a year ago (see attachment) for Marty's orginal planned visit.

I've yet to see a camera in Marty's hands in any of these pictures of him.

Camera? What camera? Did he have a camera?

443614-wwmhd_hog.thumb.jpg.cfb3ecb0c769a50d63622b8f0777420b.jpg

Thanks, Bill. Yes, the Hunua Falls is a popular picnic spot. Only a few kms from the centre of Auckland. Surrounded by native forest, with walkways and mountainbike trails.

Comparing that photo with one taken about a year ago, it's obvious that we have had more than the normal amount of rainfall recently.

05_Hunua_Falls.jpg

Some years ago the Auckland Regional Council had the good idea to install these frames at a number of popular scenic locations around the district. One day I guess I should organize a scenic ride and try to get a photo from each of them.

Gees Arne.....you should have gone with Marty on his trip and wrote up the whole thing for him...... It'd be the most hilarious thing on the web, I bet!!

The pig looked pretty interested (spelled H-O-T) in getting something going......or was he/she looking for a way out??

Marty really has a camera with him?? With his driving/riding habits, we'll be lucky if we get 2 or 3 pictures out of him!! grin.gifgrin.gif

C'mon Marty......talk to us.....you can do it baby....c'mon , c'mon, c'mon...

Pat

Hi Arne,

Thanks for the post. It's as close to NZ as I'm going to get this year, but I can supply all the environmental attributes from fond memory. My hope is to take the tour with Marty vicariously this year--I know where he'll be each day. Since he's headed to Christchurch for the start, I'm assuming he's going with the Te Wai group. If so, tonight he should be in Twizel, then Dunedin, 2 nights at farm stay in Te Anau, then 2 nights QTown, Fox Glacier, Punakaiki, Nelson (2 nights), Wellington, farm stay near Waipawa, Taupo (2 nights), Auckland, Pahia (2 nights), Auckland.

Hey Marty, don't forget to check out the Gypsy Moths at Mandeville when on your way from Dunedin to Te Anau.

Dave

There's now just one night in Taupo, followed by one night in Rotorua. Otherwise spot on!

We actually saw a new Mandeville Tiger Moth at Ardmore. Only 5 hours flying time. Everything was covered with sheets and blankets, so we only got a close-up look at a few parts of the plane. We were given a guided tour of some restored warbirds at Ardmore, and Marty was like at kid in a candystore.

Wheelie is a kunekune, a special NZ breed. Very friendly and sociable. Loves wandering out among the cattle. And loves being fed. He's now 14 years old and still going strong. He was actually pre-prepared about a year ago (see attachment) for Marty's orginal planned visit.

Trying to pass him off as a Beemer blush.gif? I'd say he's an off road model, good in the dirt grin.gif.

Hey Marty, I do like the looks of those Cagiva Raptors. Too bad you can't get them stateside, but if you're out here for a tech day sometime, maybe you could lend your magic touch. I'd even donate my bike for the transformation.

Enjoy your trip.

Great pics! Just push the button on the camera and see what happens, Marty. Mine seems to work that way. thumbsup.gif Have a wonderful time on the rest of your trip!

artig said During lunch he tried explaining how to perform that feat. Gerda seems to be showing signs of disbelief.

I know that look ... I've had that look grin.gif

Congrats Marty on your never-ending Ride Tale. I wanna be like you when I grow up thumbsup.gif

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Congrats Marty on your never-ending Ride Tale. I wanna be like you when I grow up thumbsup.gif

The world can't handle two of him! tongue.gifgrin.gif

Steve

Paul Mihalka

The world can't handle two of him! tongue.gifgrin.gif

Steve

I'm not sure that by the time Chris grows up, Marty and I will still be around - so again there will be only one! wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Paul,

Please don't talk that way. Even tho it is the truth! grin.gif

Francois,

The chippie is one of the best! One of my favorites.

• 3 weeks later...

The riding part of Marty's adventure is now over. He's on his way at the moment to return the bike, and to hire a car for the last two days of his visit. There may be some disappointment at the number of photos he has taken, but I'm sure there are some memories that he will be able to relate.

Last night we had dinner at a restaurant overlooking the beach seen behind the Master Yoda.

452688-marty_yoda.jpg

After dinner, it was a short walk on the beach to watch the sunset. You can't quite see Australia, but it's out there in the distance.

452690-marty_sunset.jpg

This morning at breakfast the Energizer Bunny looked a little run-down. Here seen with his distant relative, the chocolate Easter Biker Bunny.

452692-marty_bunny.jpg

Yesterday Marty held a mini-tech-day for a few of the local BMW riders.

marty_techday1.jpg

The master at work setting the exhaust valves on the 1200GS.

marty_techday2.jpg

It seems some of the parts went flying. While the apprentice is working on the boring details on the far side of the bike, the master is looking for the missing parts on the near side.

marty_techday3.jpg

Thanks, Marty!

There may be some disappointment at the number of photos he has taken, but I'm sure there are some memories that he will be able to relate.

I've always been told you can't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.... So Marty you better have plenty of pictures to back your stories or some may think you're full of it grin.gif. Have a safe return to the U.S.....hope they let you back in smile.gif.

Arne.....

If it weren't for a few guys and gals like you and Les-is-more and a couple of others out there,....nobody'd ever have heard of Marty...and wouldn't have the faintest idea of what the heck he's been up to............... tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Thanks

Pat

PS....only 2 more weeks and I get to see my grandson!!

So Marty you better have plenty of pictures to back your stories or some may think you're full of it

OK, here's one of the photos taken by Marty.

Many visitors to this country are impressed by the lush and green vegetation. The tree fern or punga (or ponga) can be found in many places. Marty was also impressed, and tried to capture a picture of a few fine specimens. His first attempt was interrupted by some of the local wildlife.

453150-marty_treefern.jpg

"Four little maids from France are we,

'appy to 'ave finally met Mar-tee,

riding around on a motorbi-kee.

'ow could we all be so luc-kee?"

PS....only 2 more weeks and I get to see my grandson!!

Great news, Pat!

I think it was you who wanted to see a photo of Marty and sheep. Well, this is close. What Marty probably doesn't realize is that these are rams. The competition, you could say.

453166-marty_rams.jpg

Actually the life of a ram isn't all that interesting. Spending about 11 months each year just building up courage and stamina and reserves for a month or so of hard work, transforming tens or hundreds of ewes into gravid sheep.

453166-marty_rams.jpg.d9c7cb52e94a9a208e466110964a19e8.jpg

Arne, the rams are just lucky there was a fence in between - bet the Martster didn't know they were rams! Also, I am not surprised of his picture of the local flora, as he is easily distracted.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on Marty's Grand Kiwi Adventure - looks like he had loads of fun, so you'd better be prepared for some more of us Yank's coming over to enjoy the same!

I have taken some pics and will do a ride tale prior to leaving for France! dopeslap.gif

Can't believe they work for my old company. Knew I should have taken the last assignment in Paris. grin.gif

All in all, NZ is wonderful. Can't believe the 4 weeks is up tomorrow. bncry.gif

you'd better be prepared for some more of us Yank's coming over to enjoy the same!

That's OK. There's still room for a few more. But you'd better hurry before we run out of space!

Just now Marty should be on board and starting the 12-hour flight to LA.

Francois_Dumas

I must admit I am confused now. Where is he going, L.A., USA or L.A., France !!?? (the latter is 'my' village, Les Allues).

Archived