IGNORED

Thoughts on Un-rally 2002, 2003, 2004, and beyond

PhillyFlash

PhillyFlash

Returning from Gunnison by a relatively dull, uneventful route (no 10,000' passes, no mile-long curves, etc.), I had time to reflect on the Un-rally, and began to think about future un-rallies, in particular, their locations. Gunnison turned out to be an exceptional choice for the 1st Un-Rally. Although it was held in the West, it was as far "east" and central as possible to be accessible to members from all parts of country and still offer outstanding rides in all directions to, from, and around the rally site. The western part of the US has many other outstanding locations as well, but the further west you go, the more difficult and time consuming it may be for riders coming from the east. Therefore, Gunnison may be an ideal recurring location to hold future national RT un-rallies, whether every other year, every third year, or whatever. Routes to or from the un-rally could be varied in order to see other parts of the west as time and inclination permit. The weather was great (usually), the KOA site met our needs very well, and motels were nearby and reasonably priced. I'll leave it to members from the eastern half of the country to start making their suggestions for next year, hopefully with some similar characteristics that made Gunnison the right place this year.

There will be many stories about the un-rally, but I got a sense of what was to come just before the un-rally started. I checked into the Ramada late Sunday morning, too early to get into the room. So my two riding buddies and I decided to head east up Monarch Pass, 40 miles from Gunnison. The last 7 miles wind back and forth up the mountain - two lanes going up and one lane going down - with a large parking area at the top. High speed and easy to pass. As we sped around the last curve at the top of the Pass we viewed a spectacular sight - 30 or 40 BMWs, mostly RTs, parked, with their riders milling around chatting and laughing, all on their way to Gunnison. The Chi-Town Crew, Tom Roe, recourses (I think), and others from all parts of the country. A big hello from Paper Butt, who couldn't have been any giddier (it must have been the altitude). All of us standing there in a parking lot at 11,000+ feet! Something special indeed was starting to happen.

The Un-Rally was not like any other rally. At 7:00 am Monday, just about everyone was at the KOA for the openning ceremonies, to socialize, and to start their rides. During the day we rode. I returned to the KAO from a somewhat short ride on Tuesday afternoon to find the campground virtually deserted - everyone else was out riding. Even Dick and Laney, who came by car, were out touring the area. People were not sitting around the campground during the day socializing like at other rallies. This group was there to ride! In the evening, everyone was at the KOA, not at their motel, not at restaurants in town. They were at the KOA for dinner both nights so that they could be with as many old friends and meet as many new friends as possible. It felt more like a family reunion since most of us knew each other, at least through the BBS if not in person. And if they didn't already know cousin Gleno and cousin Wurty, they soon did, like it or not.

This 1st Annual BMWRT.COM Un-Rally will always be special because it was a first opportunity to meet so many members of the BBS, all at one time in an ideal setting, both to socialize and to ride. Future un-rallies can be planned with the same considerations. Accessible to as many as possible, held in a location with numerous long and short incredible rides, and in a setting conducive to a family reunion for 200+ family members. Let the planning begin. Afterall, the 2nd Un-Rally is only 12 months away, and the Hell's Angels are waiting to find out where we'll be. Hope to see all of you next year.

I had such a great time, I don't even know where to start. I hear FB is so into his report that he's outlined it first. By the time I'm done reading it, I'll have forgotten my experiences. Sometimes there is virtue in waiting!

Howard, it was nice to make a connection with you. Nothing like riding together to do that. Dang, I didn't know black ones handled that well. What fun.

I'm already looking forward to Scottsdale in September.

John Ranalletta

Your description would be a great part of a BMWMOA story...(hint, hint...FB).

Jake suggested Charleston, WVA, next year..either before or after the National. I'm in.

PhillyFlash

David,

The black ones handle even better when they have rear shocks. With bad rear shocks they just handle like all the others wink.gif. It was great meeting you and riding with you and the others. We'll get a group together and keep the fun going when you get to Arizona in September.

Howard, y'old Philly Dog,

Great meetin' ya, dude. And a fine write-up.

The riding was great. The people were greater. It was such a high getting to meet so many folks I'd corresponded with or whose posts I'd enjoyed I damn near cracked my face grinnin'.

A thousand thanks to all who worked so hard putting it all together.

West VA? Sign me up.

Let me add my 2 cents if I may as only Wurty can...

SCREW heading East.

Lets try for Taos New Mexico or Bitteroot Mtns in Idaho.

Just my Opinion...

Idaho and Northern UT would rival Gunnison, if you can believe it. Northern UT has deep narrow canyons with lots of twisty stuff and no traffic, great camping, reasonably priced hotels and no double yellow lines.....just kidding on the last part. Jackson Hole and the Tetons are just up the road (2hrs by car, 1.25 hours by RT).

Dakota Dave

I am torn on wether or not to move the rally. For one I have connection to Gunnison so I have no problem going again. On the other hand I have to agree that moving adds variety and allows people to see different areas and get new experiences. My vote for next year is the Black Hills of South Dakota. I have been on these roads many times and there are many great roads and many great places to see. This does not give me a new place to see but when I thought it through it has some advantages. First it is several hunderd miles further east (1200 to the west coast and about 1500 to east coast). For those that have never been there there are many great areas to visit (Rushmore, Custer State park, Devils Tower, Crazy Horse, Deadwood , etc). It is also further north and in the mountains which means cooler weather than in the south. One other area that may also be of interest is Hot Springs Arkansas. I have never been there but here the roads are great.

I vote for some place nearer the East coast, it's only fair, plus it will be fun to meet some of our group that couldn't make it this time because of the distance and time involved.

I almost didn't go to Gunnison as it was way too close to home. In the end Jan and I did go, and managed to ride over 1400 miles without ever leaving Colorado. About 50 of those miles were on an Interstate (I70) so they don't count.

Just a thought, Branson MO. is not that far from the center of the country (center is actually very near Lebanon KS). As an added bonus or two, Branson is in the Ozarks with loads of twisty hilly roads and has lots of entertainment and restaurant choices for those so-inclined. So if a move is in the stars, Branson may be a good choice for equity in distance that we each drive. However, I like the Gunnison choice and timing since it allows a lot of us with limited vacation hours, to do two rallies for the price and time of one (almost) with the proximity to Paonia and immediately following the TOR--JMHO.

Why not start a suggestion site kinda like the sign in site (hu Brant?? smile.gif Registered members can offer their suggestions they can then be narrowed down and voted on. Of course the place chosen would have to be acceptable to the folks that will be in charge of the un-rally since there would not be one if it were not for them. Just a thought.

Gunnison was great, and some of us didn't come close to riding all the roads in the area, so going there again would be fine w/ me. The Estes Park area w/ Trail Ridge Road has always been one of my favorites.

I do think that out of fairness to the others, a trip to the east would be just as good. As Fernando mentioned, there could even be a mini-Non at Gunnison as well.

Other option would be sort of like the Olympics: A summer ride someplace cool one year, and a fall ride someplace warmer the next.

In reply to:

a trip to the east would be just as good.

How about having "Gunnison 2003" in the my beloved Big Apple! Seminars topics could include pot hole swerving, lane splitting, taxi baiting, and breath holding. laugh.gif. On the other hand we do have IMHO the best tasting food and the best looking women so you could always just come and leave your RT at home.

Just heard from the guys that planned the east coast un-rally. They are thinking of next spring in upstate new york. It is beautiful there. One east and one west works for me. Just wanted our west coast planners to know about this.

russell_bynum

I don't like the idea of one east and one west...east coast people will go to "theirs" and west coast people will go to "Ours". Let's do it in the middle (more or less) so everone can go.

Wurty: I like the idea of an east coast meeting so you guys out west can enjoy Kansas or Nebraska. Those of us coming from the east shouldn't have all the fun.

Russell,

I'm with you but if they are already planning upstate NY we may need some coordination.

No one wants to take anything away from a Mayhem II, but you can be sure we're all working hard to be as inclusive as possible in a site selection for the UnRally Part Deux.

It shouldn't (and won't) come down to an East vs. West thing, but there's no getting around the fact that this is one big country, and everyone's vacation time is limited. I believe the geographical center is somewhere near Leavenworth, Kansas, so......

Just keep those ideas flowing!

Jake said and everyone's vacation time is limited.

Am I correct in assuming that the Un-rally was held in July because more people would be able to take the time off then? Or was it the piggy-back to the Paonia rally?

As a pastey-white East-coaster, am I in the minority of folks who don't like riding cross-country in JULY Disappointed.gif?

I realize you west-coasters like desert-boy Gleno are acclimated to the heat, but I want my road trip to the rally to be as much fun as the group gathering. I don't have fun in the heat. 100-degree heat index is my limit. 60 and cloudy is more like it laugh.gif ...

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles),

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as...color=green>

canada75.gif

TimButterfield

If there is one anywhere nearby, how about including some track time if not too cost prohibitive? I would like to be able to learn and stretch my limits in a safer environment than unknown (to me) public roads. Is it still hooning if there is no oncoming traffic and no posted speed limits?

In reply to:

Is it still hooning if there is no oncoming traffic and no posted speed limits?

ROFLMFAOcolor=red> laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

In reply to:

(60 and cloudy is more like it )

Are we talking about my IQ again ?

Wurty, don't flatter yourself!! shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

- Gotta agree with ChrisNYC on the heat.

- Also like the idea of west coast folks getting a

chance to enjoy Nebraska or Kansas (like Wes said).

- Wifes idea; upper Michigan. Pretty, neat to tool

around the Great Lakes.

- Progressive Unrally: pick an area and move from spot

to spot, round robin fashion.

I'm definitely getting back to the Rockies next year, anyway.

Archived