IGNORED

Big Bend Bash replacing Hill Country Spring Fling: a poll

johnlt

Location preference  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would like to get a count of high probability attendance and location preference. The sum of the responses to the poll on location preference will indicate the degree of interest. Please do not respond if you know you can’t attend. The two potential locations are Ft. Davis and Alpine. Ft. Davis is prettier but a little farther from Big Bend. Alpine is more convenient and has more hotel options but not as pretty. Assume late March or early April.Here is the poll:

I heading to Crested Butte Skiing in the morning but I have the poll set up to end on Sunday evening. If I have internet access at CB, I'll consolidate thoughts but as of now, 18 is looking like an event!

Rocket_Cowboy

Like I said, I'm good either way. I'm headed to Alpine in April already, so doing Ft. Davis wouldn't hurt my feelings in the least, but likewise, having never been to Big Bend before in my life, doing two weekends in Alpine wouldn't give me a shortage of roads to ride.

I guess put me down on the Ft. Davis group as well, but if Alpine ended up being the place to go, I'd still be there too.

I'm with Whip..He's my best friend and we can't stand each other..

Thanks

I think...... eek.gif

grin.gif

I thought I was the Lawman's best friend because I liked you less the he did!

I thought I was the Lawman's best friend because I liked you less the he did!

Will someone be my friend? dopeslap.gif

hERE i aM..!! up here... thumbsup.gif

I voted for Fort Davis, less people.

I hate people.

Whip

i like you, though..wHIPdON..!

Your not a person....your a "Beer Delivery Guy"....everyone likes you.

grin.gif

I hate people.

Whip

grin.gif

139321070-L.jpg

I for one love ya for it Brother!

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

OK, it looks like we have sufficient interest at 23. I'm sure there will be more adds that subtracts over the next couple months so if no one objects, I'll do a little planning and contacting of hotels. Alpine looks like the place and actually, anhyone wanting to stay in Ft. Davis, it is only 20 miles asway. I'll shoot for the weekend following easter which is March 28-30. I'll post back here in a couple weeks what I find out.

OK, it looks like we have sufficient interest at 23. I'm sure there will be more adds that subtracts over the next couple months so if no one objects, I'll do a little planning and contacting of hotels. Alpine looks like the place and actually, anhyone wanting to stay in Ft. Davis, it is only 20 miles asway. I'll shoot for the weekend following easter which is March 28-30. I'll post back here in a couple weeks what I find out.

Thanks for taking the lead on this. thumbsup.gif

Rocket_Cowboy
I'll shoot for the weekend following easter which is March 28-30. I'll post back here in a couple weeks what I find out.

Mike posted up about the first aid class he's putting on in Dallas with Jamie and Leslie ... on that same weekend. That might impact who can attend both events.

I hate people.

Whip

grin.gif

139321070-L.jpg

I for one love ya for it Brother!

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

...nOTE : the two beers in hand.....a very wise friend of mine once told me - "...you don't buy one shoe at a time, do ya..."??

Thus, two hands - two beers...it's all good. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

I was at the Annual Big Bend freeze out this past weekend. We stayed in Ft Davis at the Ft Davis Motor Inn. Had a great time! Staying in Alpine could make you Miss the Loop up 118 to McDonalds Observatory and around on 166 back into Ft Davis.

Ok, based on the conflict with Texas Tech days, the new date for the Big Bend Bash is Friday the 14th of March through Sunday the 16th of March. I'll be contacting the local motels to identify the best deal and let everyone know their options.

Ok, based on the conflict with Texas Tech days, the new date for the Big Bend Bash is Friday the 14th of March through Sunday the 16th of March. I'll be contacting the local motels to identify the best deal and let everyone know their options.

Perfect. I'm on Spring Break. thumbsup.gif

Sounds good to me.....if the Spring Breakers don't take all our rooms....

thumbsup.gif

Sounds good to me.....if the Spring Breakers don't take all our rooms....

thumbsup.gif

Could be an issue, and maybe a reason to center on Ft. Davis. Back in the late 70's I'd read about how isolated and beautiful it was at BB. I also read that the number of visitors was one of the lowest of all national parks. Armed with this information and ready to camp in the park, I headed to BB over Spring Break on my GT750 only to find that a large percentage of the annual visitors arrive during Spring Break. Thanksgiving being another peak time I believe. Two things stick in my mind from that trip: camping in the "overflow" area (a sandburr infested parking area) and waiting for about an hour to take a shower in one of the two pay shower near our campsite. eek.gif

Ok, the date is set as Friday March 14th through Sunday the 16th in Alpine Texas. I've identified the Alpine Inn as our HQ and their website is http://www.alpinetexas.com/alpineinn.html and their number is 432 837-3417. I've negotiated a $35 rate for a single and a $40 rate for a double. Mention you're with the BMW Sport Touring Club to get this rate. Price seems very cheap and per the pics on the website, it seems to be a nice place but if you prefer to stay in another, the website with all motel listings is http://www.alpinetexas.com/lodging.html

There is also a RV campground with a tent area with hot showers etc. at http://www.lostalaskan.com/ for those who wish to camp.

The Alpine Inn has more that 20 rooms still available but because this is spring break time for many schools, it may fill up fast so make your reservations soon. I think we can get a group dinner for Saturday night on an impromptu basis. I'll look into that. Please reply when you have reservations so I can get somne indication of the number of attendees.

Let's do it!!

In at the Ramada thumbsup.gif

Lets hope work plays along with the schedule.

WAY INNNNN...at the Alpine...Let's hope work plays along with the schedule...If not...too bad work... grin.gif

Mike, you are in for a real treat. Not like most parts of Texas grin.gif

Be sure to make time for the Davis loop and the park. Most folks miss the northern route because all they hear about is Big Bend. The river road and the Davis loop are must ride roads when you are there.

ps..bring a good book to read while enroute out here as most of your ride will be flat and boring dopeslap.gif

I am posting a set of routes for a Big Bend loop from Alpine through big bend including the Chisos Mountain overlook and Santa Elena then hooks up with the famous "River Road" to Presidio and back to Alpine. The full loop is 349 miles but there are two possible short cuts. One is taking the secondary road Hwy 118 down instead of Hwy 385 (this saves a few miles and may be more interesting. There is also a dirt short cut for you GS guys that saves quite a few miles from Santa Elena back up to 118 called the Old Maverick Rd. I spoke with a National Park rep today and he said it was a "good" graded dirt road and we shouldn't have any problems. It is not a 4WD road. This FYI and use.

990738-BigBendLoop.gdb

For those adventurous types, I've attached a 272 mile loop that includes 75 miles of dirt in Big Bend. It travels of the famous "River Road" (not the "paved" River Road). This route is done in City Navigator V8. FYI and use

991014-BBGSLoop.gdb

Ridin' the River Road in Big Bend area is certainly right up there in fun roads. The sights aren't bad either. The Rio Grande is in front and Mexico is on the left.

Highpoint_RiverRoad.jpg

Here's the list I have so far. If you're coming and not on this list, please reply.

Johnlt

Whip

Lawman

Rogera

Mike05

Fossil

Eddd

EricFoerster

Gary Johnson (not sure of board name)

John,

I'll be bringing along a guy who will be riding an offbrand

(Goldwing). I hope you guys will not be too rude.. He's really an okay guy..He's just short...smirk.gif

And the wife may join the chase in the Miata... thumbsup.gif

John,

I've made reservation and am trying to make it work. Complicating factor is the previous weekend is the rattlesnake roundup in Sweetwater, and I've already committed to that. Hope to see you there.

John,

I'll be bringing along a guy who will be riding an offbrand

(Goldwing). I hope you guys will not be too rude.. He's really an okay guy..He's just short...smirk.gif

And the wife may join the chase in the Miata... thumbsup.gif

Uh ... make that a GL here also. Rose Ann is coming and that is her preferred seating choice. But she thinks the RT is prettier than the others and I'll have a picture of the RT taped to the dash if that helps. We can eat in the kitchen if we need to. Will have a suburban and a trailer if a rescue is necessary. R

Our list has grown a little. Fifteen and there is still a month to go. We need to get some of our northern brethren down to BB. I've sure they're ready for riding season to start and what better way

Johnlt

Whip

Lawman

Rogera

Mike05

Fossil

Eddd

EricFoerster

Gary Johnson (not sure of board name)

Lawman’s Goldwing friend

Tobyzusa

Fossil