IGNORED

Tying down an RT in pickup

gottabmw

If I decide to haul an RT in the back of my pickup for some reason, is there an issue with tying down the front? Specifically, when tying down the haddlebars to the tie-down hooks in the front of the bed (corners), will the straps rub on the Tupperware? If so, what is the solution?

There is a bike specific tie down rig called a "canyon dancer" It attaches to the hand grips and keeps the strap away from the fairing. I'm not sure who makes it. I'll bet someone here will.

There is a bike specific tie down rig called a "canyon dancer" It attaches to the hand grips and keeps the strap away from the fairing. I'm not sure who makes it. I'll bet someone here will.

Just to be on the safe side, I wouldn't tie your bike down with the handlebars. They aren't designed for that kind of load. Follow the link David gave for the proper tie down instructions.

Jim cool.gif

I do mine to the fork legs, and the subframe. Use ratcheting straps all around. The kit I got has buckle straps for the rear, and IMHO they weren't good.

Jeff Dean's site also has a good pict of his bikes in a trailer, shows where on the fork legs.

Oh, I also used a Condor wheel chock, and a big-ass ramp from discountramps.com. That combo makes loading and unloading stress free and a one person job.

• 7 months later...

The PO delivered my 2000RT in the bed of his pickup. He used a Baxley Chock for the front end. (I own one and it is a very nice chock, BTW.) Look here:

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/Sportchock.html

In the paperwork I got with my chock, Baxley recommends putting the bike in the stand and use tie downs from the upper rear of the bike to the LOWER front of trailer/truck. This holds the bike in the stand which has a grip on the front tire. (I've always thought that if I were to transport mine in the chock that I would feel better with some back up.) However this was how the PO transported the bike. He had removed the side panels and used soft ties on the frame and the tiedowns to them. He had also removed the rear luggage and had run a tie down from side to side over the rear seat to hold the rear tire to the deck. The bike was solid as a rock when he pulled in. I will use this method when I transport the RT in my trailer should the need arise.

Hope this helps.

Mark

That's how I tie mine down on my Kendon (I have a similar wheel chock).

The Canyon Dancer is bad rice on an RT. To tie down the front, I use the nylon extension loops made by Ancra, similar to these:

bmextension.jpg

The are easily looped around the triple tree from underneath and give you a loop below the fairing in the front to connect to the tie down straps and allows you to compress the front suspension a little just to keep things rock solid.

DavidEBSmith

This is an interesting tiedown system from an Australian company. It's similar to the way automobiles are often tied down on small transport trailers. The nice thing about this system is, like tieing down the front wheel with tie-down loops above the fork brace, you don't have to worry about compressing the suspension too little or too much.

TDR06B.jpg

Website is here. I wish somebody would try these so I can find out if they work without spending $$$.

russell_bynum

I do mine to the fork legs, and the subframe. Use ratcheting straps all around.

I use the baxley chock and tie down as you suggested.

Actually, I usually just do the fork legs and skip tying down the rear.

Everything stays put with no problems.

Archived