IGNORED

Website content help, and questions

stubble!

I've just begun setting up the menu and stuff for a few static pages of info about this year's Un. It would be helpful if I had some content to put on the page(s). Here's what I had in mind (open to different ideas):

Front page: Welcome paragraph or two, dates and location. Perhaps a photo in-line? (Below this will be a list of recent news)

Rally Details: A page with all the nitty gritty stuff. Lodging, phone numbers, etc? Or lodging on it's own page?

UnTinerary Is there enough of an itinerary to warrant its own page?

Things to do: Rides, area attractions, restaurants, etc.

More?

If someone could compose this content, and send it to me (or attach it here), I'll format it and place it on the site.

Other questions:

Is there much attachment to the current theme and/or layout? Does anyone mind if the navigation menu is moved from the right side to the left?

Also, do we have access to the server (as in, shell or FTP access)? It would be good to add a pretty banner image to the header, or it might even be fun to customize one of the other themes out there for Drupal.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Is there much attachment to the current theme and/or layout?

No. Change it however you want.

Does anyone mind if the navigation menu is moved from the right side to the left?

Move it, good by me. Did you already do that? The only thing I saw on the right was the administrator's menus.

Also, do we have access to the server (as in, shell or FTP access)? It would be good to add a pretty banner image to the header, or it might even be fun to customize one of the other themes out there for Drupal.

I asked Leslie about this and haven't received a reply. Why don't you send her a PM as well (mine was a few weeks ago); all I did was cut and paste the request you made here. The response that I received is that "ix web hosting hosts that page and domain name". Leslie's profile is here: Linky

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I like what you're doing with the Un site. Any chance that the links away from that site can open in a new window so the UnRally page can always stay on your desktop?

Thanks Steve. I've got a new 'home' page up now, let me know what you think.

When you post a "story", it will show up in the news area on the home page. Be sure to put "UnRally VII" in the category field when you create the post.

We still need some content on the "Details" page. I guess I'd want to see general information about what to expect, how meals will work, t-shirt info, stuff like that. Is that something that one of you can put together for me to add?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Oh, Steve, the links you asked about are set by the theme, and I don't have a way to change the target window.
Will a different theme allow a new window?
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Okay, I promise promise promise that I won't exert my usual control-freak tendencies and want the rest of the committee to make the website decisions for the good of the project. Whip (perhaps rightfully) asked if I like to micromanage things and I don't (really I don't), but I plan things professionally so it's hard to let go. tongue.gif

You guys tell Sebastian what is needed for the website. The only thing I'll pursue is setting us up on Event-Brite for the actual money collection part.

Oh, Steve, the links you asked about are set by the theme, and I don't have a way to change the target window.
Will a different theme allow a new window?

Not really, it would need a modification to the theme code, and so the real hitch would be that we don't have shell access.

I'd also say that while I would have once agreed with you on the new window thing, now I tend not to do that. These days most people are more familiar with basic navigation, and I've found those that aren't that sophisticated are more confused by the new window than they are by the back button smile.gif Just my two cents...

I right click and choose open in a new window, but then I am quite the geek.

I think Mark Menard (who is local to me) may be able to help with the picture upload permissions - but I'm not sure.

The page looks good. I like the weather link - great idea. Seems to me it should say Pacific Northwest, at least that's the way I remember seeing the locals type it.

I'm fairly consumed keeping up with my new job and planning our kitchen remodel, but I might find time to try to edit some stuff. Maybe I can actually help.

Thanks for your work Sebastian, glad you're on the team.

Phil

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
should say Pacific Northwest

I completely agree. Northwest is definitely one word.

Cool! I actually changed it! Only took me about 5 minutes to stare blankly at the admin choices to figure it out! Dood! smile.gif

• 3 months later...
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Hi Sebastian! Please have a look at the UnRally website and make any edits to linked pages, to reflect the new changes to this DB. I changed the contact page and added the Gmail address (2008unrally@gmail.com).

Also, I'm going to need a page where I can reflect those people who have actually completed the EventBrite registration and have paid for the Un. First name, first letter of last name and DB handle is all that's needed.

Thanks!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
The eventbrite site looks good. It looks like we can put the registration page on unrally.com directly. Steve, can you check out this page...

http://www.eventbrite.com/t/how-to-use-website-integration

...and email me the content of that text box? I'll set it up.

I'll also set up a page for the attendee list so you can update it.

I posted it into a PM. Have a look!

I fixed the Forum link on the left menu.

Also, I have a design question. For my personal site, I recently figured out how to get a custom image into the header area of a Drupal site without having direct access to the server. The effect would move the current twisty road image up to the header, so it would display on all pages, not just the home page.

You can see an example here: http://www.sebsgarage.com (Different color scheme of course.)

Would you like me to try this on the UnRally site?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I'm content to let it stay as-is. If you don't want to do whatever else it is that you normally do, and want to putter around on the Unrally site, then by all means, have at it! But the site looks fine, just as it is.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Attendee list is here:

http://unrally.com/vii/attendees

Any chance that you can edit this a little? Look at what data I want to display, currently separated by commas. I'd like to see the data in 4 distinct fields, Name, DB Name, City, State. And have this preceded by a number...1, 2, 3, etc.

I think that it will be a bit easier to read this way.

Sure, it will just need to have a little more markup in each entry to make it work. I will set up an example row and you can copy/paste that for each row.

Archived