IGNORED

Idle speed 05 F650GS

KCScott

I bought an 05 650gs from an individual this week. I went and looked at the bike earlier in the week and picked it up on Friday. On both occasions the bike started immediately and idled fine. When I arrived home with the bike, thirty minute ride, I stopped and tried to start it again immediately it wouldn't idle. I have to hold the throttle to keep running. If I let go the rpms drop and it dies. I did wear a heated vest on the way home and forgot to turn it off when I killed the engine. I immediatley removed the gear after I stopped. Any ideas as to what suddenly happened? Is there an easy way to bump the idle up? I would appreciate any advice you could give.

You cannot adjust the idle on the F650 bikes and if you try you will screw up the throttle body etc.... check the battery connections.... I'll bet that they are loose and causing the bike to die. Previous owner probably had the battery out for some reason and failed to tighten the connections.

I started the bike last night and it ran fine. I think you may be right. I'm taking it in on Friday for the 7k maint. and will have them check the battery out. It's a great bike, so different than the RT. I'm looking forward to getting to know the bike better and using it for the work commute and some gravel roads.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the bike in for the 6K and found the battery was way low on water. I have not had any further troubles with the bike. What a fun light machine!

• 2 weeks later...
Took the bike in for the 6K and found the battery was way low on water. I have not had any further troubles with the bike. What a fun light machine!

Keep an eye on those water levels. The puny battery drinks water like a fish. I usually put water in mine every 3 months. On the side of the battery are a "min" and "max" level to check it. Unfortunately, you have to remove the side panel and air box snorkel to get to it. Then you have to remove the wiring and lift the battery out to see the levels. Life is never easy.

Be sure and check the "faq's" at the chain gang site. It tells you how to do all basic maintenance functions on the machine.

Thanks for the tip. It's supposed to get cold again here in KC. I think I'll spend a little quality time in the garage with the new gs. I think I'll strip her down and get familiar with her.

That would also be a good time to pull the linkage off below the rear shock and lube all the needle bearings. Also, change the coolant as it is probably old. Use a non-silica based one. I use the Honda preblended one. Since you only do this every 18 months, whats a couple of extra bucks?

If you weigh more than 150 lbs, you may need to add some preload spacers in the fork (easy $5 fix) and change the fork oil to 10W instead of the 7.5 weight that comes in the bike.

Archived