IGNORED

1st Day of Winter - did you ride?

Effjay

One of my FJR moto buds and I are heading towards Mojave and perhaps beyond in an hour. TV News says temps in the 20s in Lancaster at 7AM with winds in the canyons and passes. Not sure how far we'll get, but I see this as an opportunity to test the mettle of my gear before the DV Daze event next month.

How about all of you? Will you be riding this 1st Day of Winter?

thumbsup.gif

Jeff

Well I just went out to garage and fired Ruby up. Yeah baby, she's purring. Seriously thinking about a lunch ride to the Salty Dawg in Anaheim across from Seaver's or a ride to Cook's Corner about 15 miles east of the "Dawg". Anybody around the Orange County area want to join me?

One of my FJR moto buds and I are heading towards Mojave and perhaps beyond in an hour. TV News says temps in the 20s in Lancaster at 7AM with winds in the canyons and passes. Not sure how far we'll get, but I see this as an opportunity to test the mettle of my gear before the DV Daze event next month.

thumbsup.gif

Jeff

Shouda said sumthin sooner, you guys being out here in my backyard,coulda joined ya!

Gonna be nice this afternoon here, gonna try to get out later.

Esyay I oday eakspay igpay atlinlay, eesay ouyay wave.gif

wife and I took the scoots up to lunch with Huzband yesterday. It was chilly, but a nice ride just the same.

Then it was home for maintenance time to winterize the bikes. I got fluids changed in the RS and oil in the wee strom. I think we're good till about bike week now! thumbsup.gif

Hey Matt come on over. It is sunny and 50 degrees here in H.B. right now. Surf is supposed to be up as well. Perfect riding weather whichever hobby you choose.

Keith, it's about that here too, so I'm gonna go do a TBS instead and then get ready for some friends who are coming for beer and pizza later on. Then it's cigars around the fire pit. I have an extra seat or two if ya wanna come join us!

AdventurePoser

The girls are gone. The temps are down. The local mountains are blanketed with snow. It's the day to try out my new Gerbing gloves. Oooh yeah.....Big Bear Lake, here I come!

I'm outta here...

Steve

Rode over to Eurocycles to see their "Gambler Sale." They reduce the price of all '07 bikes $500 per week starting Dec. 1st and ending the last week of Dec. with $2500 off retail on any remaining bikes. I'm looking (longingly) at a Ducati Multistrada. blush.gif

Got out today. First chance in a while. Temps ~59f. Made a quick ride out to do some last minute Christmas shopping. Not really a special ride, but just felt good.

Dave

[quote

thumbsup.gif

Yep but just 17 miles worth but it seems farther with the ripping headwinds here in the Southland.

I think I saw Dennis & Laney but I don't think they saw mebncry.gif

Now it's time to jump on the scooter & head out to the mall dopeslap.gif

Just got back from a beautiful 75 mile loop to Seaver's BMW where I bought a shirt and grabbed a cheeseburger at Cooks Corner for lunch. The burn area in Orange County is immense around Santiago Canyon and Modjeska Canyon. Absolutely beautiful day to take a ride (70 degrees and sunny). That's SoCal for ya. Geez Steve if I knew you riding to Big Bear I would have tagged along.

AdventurePoser
Geez Steve if I knew you riding to Big Bear I would have tagged along.

Dang! That is what I get for being so spur of the moment... blush.gif

Steve in So Cal

Just by dumb luck I did! smirk.gif The weather broke for the better and I got the backup bike (Guzzi) out for a spin around town. My BMW ('A') bike has no seat as it's being redone by Sargents. Looking forward to a happy rear in the new year! clap.gif

Washed the bike at 7:00 and rode to Port Isabel for breakfast with friends this morning.

Ate outside on the deck of the cafe on the water and watched the fishing boats heading out. No need for a jacket while eating. It was about 75.

After waiting for the repairman to come and fix my hot water heater, I bravely ventured out on the old R1100RT. It was a frigid 55 degrees with blinding sunlight on this cloudless day as I cruised up the highway to the emissions inspection station. After chatting with a fellow on a Honda 350 dual-purpose bike about how insane we were to be out on this unseasonably cold day (normal high is 66), I quickly passed the test and headed back out into the frozen Scottsdale tundra. Back home, I cranked up the heat to blazing 70 degrees. Now that I'm toasty warm again, I'm counting the days (11) until we finish with winter and get back into the 70s (January 2 to January 5, 2008 the forecast is for ample sunshine with temperatures between 70 and 75). Winter is such a cruel week here in the desert southwest, but those of us hearty enough still try to ride, even if we risk frostbite and hypothermia in this mid-50s torture. Stay warm everyone.

Me and Jonny Wad are heading to the Sequoia National Park entrance on sunday morning.

Calling for a 30 degrees at departure time.

I am just betting there will be snow on the road before we get to the ranger gate. If so it's burgers and cigars in Badger then off to grandma's in foggy Exeter california where my wench and the chitlins will be waiting for me to return.

Yep but just 17 miles worth but it seems farther with the ripping headwinds here in the Southland.

I think I saw Dennis & Laney but I don't think they saw mebncry.gif

Now it's time to jump on the scooter & head out to the mall dopeslap.gif

Well, I'm just a few miles from you in Mission Oaks. Fierce wind 2AM - 4PM, but then calmed down. No wind once east of I5. See my ride report.

Jeff

Just got back from a beautiful 75 mile loop to Seaver's BMW where I bought a shirt and grabbed a cheeseburger at Cooks Corner for lunch. <snip>
Nice folks at Seavers. I bought my bike from Dale there in August on consignment with only 514 miles rolled. Did 335 miles today...

Jeff

Wurty

Are you referring to the bar/restaurant on Rt. 245 in Badger in that sharp almost u turn corner? I miss the Badger Inn. I believe it is a retreat site for a church now. I love Sequoia Nat. Park. There is an entrance to the park from Badger. I took it about a year ago and rode thru a beautiful stand of redwood trees on my way into the park.

What a great day of riding! Left 8AM and met my buddy in Fillmore then headed east on Hwy 126. Temps ~55* and moderate wind. Once east of I5, we took only twisty or secondary roads (Lake Hughes Rd to Elizabeth Lake (39* at 10AM), then backroads to Rosamond, Mojave, California City with Randsberg as a turnaround point. Brilliantly clear skies, no wind at all and temps 45-50* prox. We mostly reversed our route home avoiding interstates with 335 total miles rolled. My winter gear worked great, 'cept I need warmer gloves (my Bates deerskin road-race style with liners insufficient for me at 40*). Life is good...

Jeff

Vicious_Cycler

Rode a couple hours today, solo. Met quite a few others out today in (not so) sunny Tennessee frown.gif. Even got in some U-turn practice in a school parking lot before coming home thumbsup.gif. Love this Olympia AST!

you guys have no fellings for others. It warmed up to -25C today was -34 with wind chill last night so there is no riding up here in Saskatchewan today, but just the thought of others able to ride today some how makes me happy for you guys, life is short ride hard, Merry christmas from Canada!!!

Wurty

Are you referring to the bar/restaurant on Rt. 245 in Badger in that sharp almost u turn corner? I miss the Badger Inn. I believe it is a retreat site for a church now. I love Sequoia Nat. Park. There is an entrance to the park from Badger. I took it about a year ago and rode thru a beautiful stand of redwood trees on my way into the park.

Yes that burger place is our twice a month meeting place... Beside the lady who now owns it wants me tongue.gif.

From there to get up to the park there is a dirt road we take on our dual sports. That way we don't have to pay at the entrance station. It's an old logging road but still a bunch of fun and legal.

Trouble is the dual sport doesn't have hookups for the Gerbings . Taking the Vstrom tomorrow.

...Yes that burger place is our twice a month meeting place... Beside the lady who now owns it wants me tongue.gif....

Hot chocolate on the computer screen! lmao.gif

I was able to secure a picture of the two of you from the security camera.

Wurty and his waitress

I think you may be right about her wanting you. Isn't that a free extra helping of stewed prunes she getting for you?

A day late, but I'm rolling out in an hour for a long ride in the Hill Country today. Forecast is for clear and sunny weather with a high of 58.

It should look like this today.

57268129.jpg

Yep same burger joint and same dirt road I was on last year. What a beautiful stand of redwoods up that road. I rousted two or three deer that day. They were graising with some cows. That dirt road comes out right by the huge overlook that looks north towards Kings Canyon. Right? We should make a plan to meet there one day and ride the park. I gotta get back up there with my riding buddies. Been too long.

Just a short ride to the grocery store.

A minor "Christmas Miracle" happened just before I saddled up - there was a knock at the door, and an older teenager was standing there.

"Hello sir, I'm staying at the corner house with my uncle, and I'd like to make some money so I can buy them something for Christmas. Would you like me to rake your yard and sweep up?"

For some reason, I'd been procrastinating this task all day, viewing the large amount of wet leaves outside the window. He did an excellent job, even running back to his house to get a few other tools.

When I returned, he was just finishing up and the yard looked great. I paid him, complimented him on his Work Ethic and wished him well.

Nice to see a kid like this still exists! (I am hoping he didn't run out to buy drugs with it...) ;)

WyreNut

...Yes that burger place is our twice a month meeting place... Beside the lady who now owns it wants me tongue.gif....

Hot chocolate on the computer screen! lmao.gif

I was able to secure a picture of the two of you from the security camera.

Wurty and his waitress

I think you may be right about her wanting you. Isn't that a free extra helping of stewed prunes she getting for you?

My, My, Wurty looks so young in that photo! lmao.gif

Oh That waitress was hot too...

As for the Mountain House burger joint closed today do to family death.

Too much ice in the corners up and down the mountain.

I got all winky eek.gif in a few corners. Cal Trans sanded most of them so it was frozen sand...

Ended up chowing on soft Tacos in downtown Woodlake.

Rode about 100-150 miles in the Loess Hills of Western Iowa with the wife on Friday afternoon (12/21) in lower to mid 30s. I was fine, her hands (no handguards or fairing on the Buell) got cold, so had to cut it a little shorter than I liked.

Pic in the avatar is from when we got back. Still lots of snow on the gorund, and bikes needed a good cleaning to get rid of the salt (after cool-down). Overall was fun though... Plan on taking her out again this afternoon.

Archived