IGNORED

Announcing Mayhem 2005!

ChrisNYC

Anybody taking backroads down on Thursday, or are most people slabbing it?

It's about 500 miles from my house to Cairo, I planning on slabbing at least to Carlisle.......from there I'm not sure.

Lone_RT_rider
Also, what FRS channel will be the common one?

Most BMWST.com events use Channel 2 privacy channel 0 so that people that do not have privacy channel can tune in. But, Mayhem is a little different event from what I have been told so maybe there is a different channel?

Shawn

BPeterson
Also, what FRS channel will be the common one?

Most BMWST.com events use Channel 2 privacy channel 0 so that people that do not have privacy channel can tune in. But, Mayhem is a little different event from what I have been told so maybe there is a different channel?

Shawn

different? eek.gif

we're not that different than any other event, excluding the 'Ride in the Nude' tour that BMWGreenRT leads every morning at 5:30 AM.. blush.gif

actually, we'll probably use 2-0 as well, it's most accessible for all radio types.

Lone_RT_rider
actually, we'll probably use 2-0 as well, it's most accessible for all radio types.

Sounds good! I'll be dialed in on Thursday the 12th as I arrive.

Shawn

steveknapp
Is it too late or too early to say this...

Count me in. What the heck, ya only live once, I hope.

Um, did I say that.

Sorry, can't make it. bncry.gif

BMWGreenRT

Um, did I say that.

Oh-Well...there goes the ride in the nude tour. thumbsup.gif No Steve/No Tour

I am sure this will free up quite a few people clap.gif to attend Brian's 5:30 am seminar on how to effectively use "Febreeze" eek.gif on your saddle. wink.gif

BPeterson

Um, did I say that.

Sorry you can't come, I was looking forward to putting a face to a name. Now I'll just have to use someone else's face...

Plan on leaving Oakland, MD area afternoon of the 12th and taking route 50 from intersection of rts 219/50. Drop a PM if passing by and would like to link-up.

At the risk of upsetting Mayhem's tradition of l-o-o-o-s-e event planning and scheduling, I'd like to announce that a few arrangements have been made for our Mayhem group.

-On Friday night May 13, North Bend State Park will set up a campfire ring for us 8.30pm-11pm. I'm not sure what the alcohol regulations (or availability) are, I'll try to find that out.

-On Saturday night May 14, there will a private room set up (starting 6:30 or 7pm-ish) where we can all meet and eat. There is a restaurant on-site where you will be able to choose from a buffet menu ($8.95) or a regular a la carte menu, and from there our private group meeting/eating room is only a few steps away in an adjacent building. To keep the planning hassles to a minimum, this will not be a sign-up-and-pay-in-advance-arrangement. If you'd like join in, simply show up, fetch yer supper and pay as you go, and hang out with all the other attendees.

Art .. said Anybody taking backroads down on Thursday, or are most people slabbing it?

My plan at the moment is to leave Wednesday am, head down NJ towards Cape May, ferry over to DE, and stay over night at relatives in MD. Then on Thurs, US50 pretty much all the way out ...

RoadRider said How come you guys aren't "sticky'd" at the top?

Not sure ... maybe a moderator can stick-y it 158745-wink.gif

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

RoadRider said How come you guys aren't "sticky'd" at the top?

Not sure ... maybe a moderator can stick-y it

Done! smile.gif

SCOTTinNJ
Then on Thurs, US50 pretty much all the way out ...

I think I remember that being a great road . . .

Then on Thurs, US50 pretty much all the way out ...

Chris,

I find route 50 to be pretty ordinary. A more interesting road is route 55 which you can pick up in Strasburg near the intersection of I66 and I81. Take that to Moorefield (Yum, pancakes at the Sunrise Restaurant) and Petersburg (they are building a new interstate version of 55 begining near Wardensville (Yum, pancakes at the Kacapon Restaurant)and on into Moorefield so stick to the old road and don't follow signs for 55) then route 28 down to Seneca Rocks (stop to admire from the trail parking lot). Turn west on route 33 and take that and then 119, 47 and 16 to the park. I do that ride pretty regularly but turn back east on route 33 to come home across the mountains (a really nice road.)

Lone_RT_rider

Chris,

I am also coming in route 50 but not until the last 42 miles of my route. I plotted something out just for the heck of it and have attached it to this post (zipped gbd file). I have never actually ridden any of these roads except for 501 and rt 60 so it could be an adventure. If anyone has any expreriences with these roads your input would be great! grin.gif

Shawn

498432-Mayhem.zip

Calvin  (no socks)

I just had to cancel my room..... Conflict at work.... dopeslap.gif Have a great time...I won't. bncry.gif

Lone_RT_rider

DoooooooooooooooooD! Not good! What about my Heffeweissen!!!!

Sorry to hear that you can't make it my friend. Hope to see you at the UN!

Shawn

Calvin  (no socks)

Doood , I am going to Orlando next week to get the K1200s. SBYKGO II ..... grin.gif

Lone_RT_rider
Doood , I am going to Orlando next week to get the K1200s. SBYKGO II ..... grin.gif

So very, very cool! Congrats my friend!!!!!

Shawn

BMWGreenRT

<Chris said:

On Friday night May 13, North Bend State Park will set up a campfire ring for us 8.30pm-11pm. I'm not sure what the alcohol regulations (or availability) are, I'll try to find that out.>

Will there be any human sacrfices That night Chris? thumbsup.gif

If the fire gets out of control, do you remember what to do, besides drop and roll? eek.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday

If the fire gets out of control, do you remember what to do, besides drop and roll? eek.gif

Yeah, get the camera. eek.gif

See y'all there! thumbsup.gif

West Virginia is a really great region for Riding; unfortunately I will not make it this year. One my young 'uns is having a birthday celebration on Saturday.

If you guys can convince Brian to jump over the campfire, He might if your offer him enough Yuenglings, I want pictures! tongue.gifgrin.gif

I hope you all have fun, ride safe and if you happen to ride with anyone who's exceeding your riding envelope, please - Ride your own Ride.

See you in Lima at the MOA Rally!

if your offer him enough Yuenglings, I want pictures! tongue.gifgrin.gif

Yuengling is not to popular below the Mason Dixon Line. If your thirst requires something from America's Oldest Brewery you may want to stop somewhere in PA before crossing the border. So to speak. thumbsup.gif

Alcohol is acceptable in the cabins and lodge area but not out in the camp ground. I called North Bend State Park today for the details. dopeslap.gif

Well, I waited to the last minute to see if I could still pull this off, but it's not meant to be. I blew out my back a week and a half ago and have been on various pharmaceuticals trying to get it back. No such luck.

So I'm out. Later, when the fine folks at North Bend wake up, I will be canceling my room. So if anyone is in need of a non-smoking, 2 double bed lodge room, jump on it. Enjoy and ride safe.

BMWGreenRT
Well, I waited to the last minute to see if I could still pull this off, but it's not meant to be. I blew out my back a week and a half ago and have been on various pharmaceuticals trying to get it back. No such luck.

So I'm out. Later, when the fine folks at North Bend wake up, I will be canceling my room. So if anyone is in need of a non-smoking, 2 double bed lodge room, jump on it. Enjoy and ride safe.

Took a look at the weather...eh tongue.gif

West Virginia is a really great region for Riding; unfortunately I will not make it this year. One my young 'uns is having a birthday celebration on Saturday.

If you guys can convince Brian to jump over the campfire, He might if your offer him enough Yuenglings, I want pictures! tongue.gifgrin.gif

I hope you all have fun, ride safe and if you happen to ride with anyone who's exceeding your riding envelope, please - Ride your own Ride.

See you in Lima at the MOA Rally!

can I jump it on the GS, or do I need to run? Actually, depending upon how many beers I have that decision will be much easier..

see you in a few days!

sorry your back is out Phil. Take care of it, and remember that vodka ENHANCES the pain killers.

We'll see you at the next ride,

Brian

I plan on leaving Warrenton VA between 8 & 9 Thursday morning and traveling via Hwy 55 out of Front Royal connecting to 28 and 33 in WV. This route is parallels Hwy 50 but about 50 miles south and is spectacular. If anyone is interested in hooking up and riding together, please let me know. My start time is somewhat flexible.

RT is packed, I'm ready to go. Tomorrow I head out for a MD overnight at relatives, and then Thursday I continue out to WV. See you all there!

TomK said A more interesting road is route 55 ...

That route looks good Tom, I'm going to try to do most of it thumbsup.gif

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Safe journey. We should be there Thursday night. I'm thinking about riding OH 555 on Friday..... anybody else have any thoughts?

anybody else have any thoughts?

Yea, I'm thinking about quitting my job so I can ride once in a while! Have a safe trip everyone...

BMWGreenRT
anybody else have any thoughts?

Yea, I'm thinking about quitting my job so I can ride once in a while!

Now you're talkin ! clap.gif

Shawn,

Your route looks good. 250 out of Monterey is especially fun. Here's an alternative that is a little round-about but hits a couple of very nice roads: Instead of turning north on 220 at Warm Springs continue on 39 (nice) to Marlinton then south on 219 and rt on 39 then rt on 150 (a real gem with nice sweepers and grand vistas.) 150 takes you to 219 north of Marlinton (you did sort of a loop). Continue north on 219. At Slatyfork 66 is a nice twisty through Cass (of scenic railroad fame) to Greenbank (check out the large radio telescopes). From there 28 joins back up with your planned route.

Safe journey. We should be there Thursday night. I'm thinking about riding OH 555 on Friday..... anybody else have any thoughts?

Sounds like it would be fun. I've been playing around w/mapsource, and added an OH555 route, and another CR loop. MattS also did a couple of nice runs, and posted them earlier in this thread. I'd encourage everyone w/a GPS to grab them. thanks Matt!

500699-Mayhem2005BMWST2.zip

John,

I'll be leaving around that time. I'm planning on the Ada-Flint Hill Rd to 211 and then through the Thorton and New Market Gaps. Then 81 to Harrisonburg and 33 across the mountain (I never get to ride 33 from east to west, always west to east) Meeting Dave Sawyer at Seneca Rocks (store at 33 and 28) between 12:30 and 1, but probably closer to 1. If you happen to be there about that time on your route look for us.

We might be there around that time, but not sure.

Tom, I mapped out the route you gave me, and it looks like about 7 hours (!) of riding from Hancock, down through Seneca Rocks, across 33, and then 119, 47, 16. Does that sound right to you? Are these roads blacktop for sure? I don't care grin.gif but I have a ST4 and a CBR with me....and I just want to be prepared.... thumbsup.gif

Art,

Those are all good, low traffic (except for the route 50 stretch) roads. I would figure an average of low 50s mph easily. Could that route be 350 miles? You could shorten it a bit by heading south to Petersburg on 220 or 93 before you get to Mt Storm and 42, however the stretch where 42 and 93 overlap near Scherr is a nice little descent from the mountain.

It's been hit or miss the last few day's with the weather. For the most part it always changes every couple of hours. Hang in there.

Lone_RT_rider
Shawn,

Your route looks good. 250 out of Monterey is especially fun. Here's an alternative that is a little round-about but hits a couple of very nice roads: Instead of turning north on 220 at Warm Springs continue on 39 (nice) to Marlinton then south on 219 and rt on 39 then rt on 150 (a real gem with nice sweepers and grand vistas.) 150 takes you to 219 north of Marlinton (you did sort of a loop). Continue north on 219. At Slatyfork 66 is a nice twisty through Cass (of scenic railroad fame) to Greenbank (check out the large radio telescopes). From there 28 joins back up with your planned route.

Thanks Tom, I will plug it into the GPS when I get home and go from there. That is, if I have time. It's another typical day before vacation here at the office. All hell has broken loose....*sigh*

Shawn

Hi Dan. wink.gif

Hi Marty wink.gif

so can't EITHER of those fancy new GS's make it to WV this weekend?? grin.gif

Archived