IGNORED

Announcing Mayhem 2005!

ChrisNYC

Announcing Mayhem 2005

We have picked the dates and location for our next fun and informal event known as Mayhem!

WHEN - May 12th - 15th, 2005

WHERE - North Bend State Park, Cairo, West Virginia

www.northbendsp.com

Mayhem 2005 (our fourth one!) will be held in North Bend State Park in Cairo, West Virginia. This Mayhem will feature the great roads of WV, along with all the eating, tall-tale-telling and rider (and pillion!) comraderie you've come to expect at Mayhem.

For reservations call (800) 225 5982, ask for North Bend State Park. When you're connected to the reservations clerk at the park tell them you are with the "BMW Sport Touring" group. Please make your reservations prior to April 1st, '05. Registration must be done by phone. If you go on line it will indicate "No Vacancy" as we have all the rooms and cabins blocked out.

About the park. Picture a bowl. (In WV speak, a "holler") The lodge sits on one ridge. Then it's in to the bowl for the campground. Up the other side to the cabins. The web site offers virtual tours of the campground, lodge rooms and cabins. The cabins where completely renovated last year and include heat, A/C and a fireplace. There is sufficient dishes and cookware to take care of meals. There will not be a rate increase for 2005.

Alcohol is not sold in the park. It can be brought in to the conference rooms and picnic areas. But it cannot be brought in to the lodge dinning room or patio.

ABOUT THE AREA - This is a rural area. Harrisville is the nearest town (4 miles east) with anything. There is a liquor store, two Exxon stations, a Laundromat (very clean and the coin machines function for soap etc.) and a couple restaurants. Cairo is 4 miles west and is smaller than Harrisville.

Parkersburg is about 45 minutes west of the Park. It's on the Ohio River and has motels, restaurants etc. It's not Roanoke, Winchester or Saratoga Springs (our previous Mayhem locations). There are some motorcycle dealers in P'Burg. (NO BMW). The Honda dealer (DeVole's Cycle Center) will do maintenance on other brands. Call and make arrangements for oil and tire changes. Other than Honda or Yamaha bring your own oil filter.

INFORMATION RESOURCES:

Area Roads - Along with all paved roads The Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer for West Virginia includes dirt roads and fire trails. The free state map is pretty good and shows paved roads.

The area around the park

www.visitritchiecounty.com

The area around Parkersburg

www.historicrivercities.com

West Virginia Tourism

www.wvparks.com

www.state.wv.us/tourism

DeVole's Cycle Center

www.devols.com (800) 433 1559

800 225 5982 West Virginia vacation info

The Mayhem Planning Committee (and I use the word "planning" very loosely tongue.gif ) are:

Len Parkin (aka LenP, who did much of the legwork, scouting, and writeup here- thanks wink.gif )

Bill Drachenberg Bill D

Jim McMains BMWGreenRT

Brian Peterson BPeterson

Chris Reinhard ChrisNYC

We are still putting together the details for dinners, specific rides, etc. but the date and location are firm. If you are familiar with the area and have some suggestions for rides, dinners, recreation etc, let us know or post them here!

We look forward to seeing you!

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Nice ... the outlaws (in-laws) live 50 miles south of there, so maybe I can combine some honey-do points in with Mayhem.

We visited Parkersburg and some of the roads in the area on a visit last November. The city, like the rest of the state, was established when Old Dominion still held sway there -- so it was a border town, not only between states, but between the Old South and the north. Here are some pictures of the historic district there, and a few Mail Pouch barns (there are dozens if not hundreds).

the_wv.jpg

Using the Delorme atlas? BEWARE ... I found out the not-so-hard way in the car that there are a wide variety of surfacing strategies deployed there, none of which are explicitly detailed in the cartography. More than a few rock-strewn trails and undocumented water crossings. Beware? Hell, it's a major good time.

And how can you lose when the towns are named:

• Petroleum
    Windy
    Peewee
    Seaman
    Dukes
    Purdy
    Joker
    Munday
    Dutchman

Formerly_Capecodbeemer

Thanx Chris et al. I was just searching around the computer for something to do, while the cold rain is currently pounding down on the roof and window. Going out first thing tomorrow to get a 2005 calender and mark off May 12-15. See you then...

Seems these things are getting popular. I called the 800 # and was told they all full for the 12-15. bncry.gif So... does anyone have cabin space for two riders (DavidS ex-hogwild & dave sawyer, big red rider).

Can we start a standby list for cancelations?

Are there motels close near the park for overflow?

Thanks, Dave

Seems these things are getting popular. I called the 800 # and was told they all full for the 12-15. bncry.gif So... does anyone have cabin space for two riders (DavidS ex-hogwild & dave sawyer, big red rider).

Can we start a standby list for cancelations?

Are there motels close near the park for overflow?

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave, I called the 800 number to check on this.

What I discovered is that you'll have to identify your with the BMW sport touring group or they will tell you the rooms are booked.

When I called it sounded like the 800 number is answered somewhere else such as a central reservation office etc. If you’re still having problems booking a room and you mentioned the BMW sport touring group check to see that you’re talking to the park or ask them send your call to north bend.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Mayhem last year was my first rally and, therefore my first chance to get to know some of you-all. Hangin' and ridin' was an education that I have been building on since that time so I am particularly sorry that I can't make it this year.

I have a passing familiarity with that part of WVA and an envious of anyone who is riding there bncry.gif

Have a ball, gang and write it up thumbsup.gif

From Marty,

Chris,

Wish I could, but I'll be headed east toward torrey over that weekend.

Have fun.

As long as the "New" Marty...(BigT) shows up, the girls will never even miss you wink.gif

Now...I want to know who already snagged the only available SUITE at the North Bend lodge????

Marty Hill said Wish I could, but I'll be headed east toward torrey over that weekend.

Sorry you can't make it Marty, it's always a good time when you're around smile.gif

BMWGreenRT said Now...I want to know who already snagged the only available SUITE at the North Bend lodge????

Wasn't me. I booked a room in the lodge thumbsup.gif

------------------

310287-mar2004.gif

When you call the 800 # ask for North Bend State Park. Use the secret BMW Sport Touring name and you'll be booked shorty. dopeslap.gif

The two David's are booked and ready. clap.gif See ya'll there. thumbsup.gif

Chris wrote:

"Wasn't me. I booked a room in the lodge"

I kinda figured it was probably Brian, even though he denies it. I think he was planning on sharing the suite with Marty...who isn't showing up anyway. wink.gif

Hey !! this is post number 950 for me clap.gif

Fifty more and I qualify for my

"Sore Finger 1000" (posts) award

Then I'll only be 500 away from my

"Finger Burner 1500" award. grin.gif

I might be able to do this since its around a weekend! Big-T.....you in?

IN!

I sure hope so...otherwise there will be some disappointed females. They all swoon over his Robert Duval voice (and looks?) grin.gif

Those look like good sites, Art, I'll have to set aside some time to explore the sites, and then hopefully, the roads!

Hopefully the following info won't be needed, but since machines do break and tires do leak ...

Len has contacted Bill Tamplin at Holt BMW/Ducati. He was pleased to hear about the rally. Anyone that needs to schedule service can contact Bill.

The phone numbers etc from the Anonymous book are all good..

Holt BMW/Ducati

15530 US 50

Athens, OH 45701

Phone (740) 593-6690, Fax (740) 5935293

holt@starband.net

Mapping software puts it at 65 miles from North Bend to Athens, near the intersection of US-50 and OH-690. They are located 5-6 miles east of Athens, OH, on the west bound side of US-50.Coming from WV will involve a u-turn. Bill said the store is easy to see.

Holt's web site is www.holtbmw.com

with

info@holtbmw.com for e-mail.

------------------

310287-mar2004.gif

In keeping with "Mayhem" tradition, we have some confusion to clarify. 158743-smile.gif

It has been brought to our attention that there are a couple of "North Bend"s in West Virginia.

Our plans for Mayhem 2005 are for the "North Bend State Park" between between Ellenville, Cairo, and Harrisville WV.

Town: Cairo

Region: Ritchie County

State: WV

ZIP(s) in area:

Roughly

N39° 13.345'

W81° 06.517'

We will NOT be at another, different, incorrect North Bend State Park

Wood County (off of I-77 and US50)

N39° 16.148'

W81° 29.926'

Nor will we be in "North Bend" WV

(monongahela national Forest, near Richwood and Dogway)

Region: Greenbrier County

State: WV

ZIP(s) in area:

N38° 14.166'

W80° 26.389'

Thanks, and we hope to see you all at N39° 13.345' W81° 06.517'

------------------

310287-mar2004.gif

I'm IN! and no, I didn't book the suite for myself. tongue.gif

I would be interested in doing some off-road GS excursions as well, if anyone is interested.

See you next year, and Happy Holidays everyone.

This was my first year (2004) to attend a 'Mayhem' so I certainly hope that I can add my name to the 'in' column for '05! I'll be making my reservation soon but won't be able to confirm my partipation until early May. Thanks to all for organizing this great event.

• 2 weeks later...
Just make sure you don't follow Brian off-road wink.gif

Jim, he's an expert technician. that's EXACTLY what I need following me off (or on) road!

see you guys there.

• 2 weeks later...
Just make sure you don't follow Brian off-road wink.gif

Jim, he's an expert technician. that's EXACTLY what I need following me off (or on) road!

see you guys there.

VERY FUNNY wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Here* are three teaser routes for Mayhem.

452653-mayhemteaser.jpg

They include:

A 206-mile shorty down to the Ohio River and back to camp via the Julia-Ann Square Historic District in Parkersburg.

A 267-mile round trip -- mostly on WV 16 -- to the New River Gorge, including two trips under and two trips over the bridge.

A 314-mile loop toward Virginia and passing through Cass.

*Mapsource 6.5 *.gdb file compressed in *.zip format; calculated using City Navigator 6 in the "Shorter Distance" setting.

452653-mayhemteaser.jpg.00be2ad04ec637f9437612897e8d2bc8.jpg

Thanks for the Routes Matt, pleased to see you included the New River Gorge. I discovered the gorge is an interesting ride destination while attending the MOA Charleston rally.

Is Summerville the location of the infamous speed trap?

This Mayhem looks interesting. Exactly the kind of no frills event I like to go to. Also an easy ride( 4.5 hrs) for me and the mrs from central Ohio. How many people plan to camp? Or do most folks end up in the lodge or cabins? Is there a gathering place for socializing in the evening that makes the lodge or cabins a better choice? I can crawl quite a distance to my tent so maybe it's not an issue.

This Mayhem looks interesting... How many people plan to camp? Or do most folks end up in the lodge or cabins? Is there a gathering place for socializing in the evening that makes the lodge or cabins a better choice? I can crawl quite a distance to my tent so maybe it's not an issue.

Hi Mark, I'm with you, I like to camp as you know. You asked the same questions that I have. And as you state, I've never seen you fail to make it back to your tent. Although at times it has been questionable.

Hey Tim! This looks like a great place camp and ride, eh? I've seen no discussion about tent camping. OTOH, Cindy pointed out should it turn into an all day ride in the rain (It is May after all), it's much nicer knowing you have dry warm room waiting for you rather than a damp 7x8 tent. That's the price of being cheap I guess.

Mark

I haven't actually checked the registration, but I'd guess (judging from past Mayhems) that most folks will probably be in the cabins (or in the lodge, like me). Personally I like camping out in my tent, but it always happens that for Mayhem, I leave the tent at home, and I end up being a more social critter for it cool.gif ...

------------------

310287-mar2004.gif

I'll put this one on my calendar. Still might camp though...

It's on my calendar, I'm going to look further into the camping. I much prefer lounging around the campfire in close proximity to my tent.

It's on my calendar, I'm going to look further into the camping. I much prefer lounging around the campfire in close proximity to my tent.

Why not book a room and bring your tent along also.

You can have the luxury of modern conveniences plus the benefit of having someplace near the fire.

This way you can sneak off to that nice soft bed after the rest of the campers sack in. wink.gif

Thanks for the reply Chris. I'll put this one on my calendar. Still might camp though...

Don't forget you Bear repellent...as a matter of fact don't forget you Brian repellent too grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Why not book a room and bring your tent along also.

You can have the luxury of modern conveniences plus the benefit of having someplace near the fire.

This way you can sneak off to that nice soft bed after the rest of the campers sack in. wink.gif

Two reasons, one is that I am too cheap to pay for a room most of the time. The second reason is that I have acquired the right equipment so that I do have a nice soft (and dry) bed in my tent.

I have found my tent to be more comfortable than some of the rooms I have rented, but then like I said, I am cheap. That might explain some of the uncomfortable dives I have slept in. eek.gif

• 3 weeks later...

A few little updates to pass along ...

First, a reminder that the hold on the rooms goes off April 12th.

Second, Len got a bunch of information from Donna Briggs, WV Tourism (800-225-5982, www.callwva.com and www.state.wv.us/wvdot

There are two booklets available (and a state map) from the tourism bureau that might be helpful in planning the trip:

Byways & Backways is a booklet of particularly scenic roads through out the state.

Historic River Cities is about Parkersburg, WV & Marietta, OH. This would be of particular interest for those not staying in the park, but in the motels in Parkersburg.

Third, the same Donna Briggs recommended 4 places for lunch.

Stonewall Jackson Lake, State Park (70 miles).

Quinets Smorgasbord in New Martinsville (50 miles).

Good Evening Ranch in Canvas (113 miles).

Griffith & Feil Soda Fountain in Kenova (160 miles).

All the one way distances are from MS Trips & Streets. She has a friend that rides and is going to see if he has any suggestions.

Hope this helpful ... (thanks again Len for the legwork)

------------------

310287-mar2004.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Chris and Len -

What is the situation regarding places to eat near the cabins?

Do we need to pack in our own chow, or are there restaurants nearby?

Lone_RT_rider

We have a cabin to. I was wondering the same thing.

Shawn

Do we need to pack in our own chow, or are there restaurants nearby?

It is in a forest...you will have to forage for your own nuts and berries. wink.gif

Archived