IGNORED

Two-up...Long distance

DKinsey

Ok..I have used the search feature and didn't come up with much. I am considering a new RT and maybe a GT for LD 2-up touring.We usually ride 600-900 mile days and are currently riding a 2000 K1200LT.I like the LT and the wife loves it. I am ready for a new bike and would like something lighter if possible.I would like to hear you 2-up riders opinions. Thanks.

I know my wife did not appreciate it when I "downsized" from an '83 Yamaha Venture Royale to the '99 R1100-RT. The R1200-RT is much better from a passenger perspective than the 1100/1150 RTs, but it's still not as passenger friendly as any full size touring bike.

I had to downsize or no longer ride, so there was no other option. Wife accepted it, but now rides maybe 10-25% of the total miles I put on the bike instead of 40-60% as with the Venture.

Test ride the bikes you are interested in. Ride them 1-up and 2-up. If necessary, rent one for a day and go on an extended ride. That is most likely the best way to make an educated decision.

(and welcome to the board!)

I have to tell you that after getting my R12GSA this spring I have had many thoughts about replacing my Goldwing with a new R1200RT next year. Just the difference in weight would be enough but the extra enjoyment of the ride without all the bulk is really great. My wife and I are pretty comfortable on the Goldwing after a few adjustments but she does like the GSA enough to think about the RT for the next bike. I don't think I ever want another 'big' bike.

The biggest problem Mrs. Whip had was the height of the passenger seat on the RT.(she's only 4'11")

You already have Mrs Whip's favorite bike to ride on(Katoom)....get a Renazco seat and she'll love it.

Whip

AdventurePoser

Hi guy,

My wife has about 65,000 miles riding pillion with me on a variety of BMW motos. She loves our R12RT, as she did the R1150RT.

Seat comfort is paramount whatever moto you buy...

Enjoy the ride,

Steve in So Cal

The biggest problem Mrs. Whip had was the height of the passenger seat on the RT.(she's only 4'11")

You already have Mrs Whip's favorite bike to ride on(Katoom)....get a Renazco seat and she'll love it.

Whip

I painted Jame's(Renazco) HP2 for him and he did me up a really nice seat, made all the difference in the world! We have used the KTM on some lesser mile trips and love it! I am usually trying to cram a lot of miles in to a small time frame when out on the LT, usually going to a race weekend or something like that.What was Mrs Whip's issue with the seat? My wife said she's sitting kinda high, I though maybe it could be worked out with an after market seat.Thanks all for the welcome!

Whip

I painted Jame's(Renazco) HP2 for him and he did me up a really nice seat, made all the difference in the world! We have used the KTM on some lesser mile trips and love it! I am usually trying to cram a lot of miles in to a small time frame when out on the LT, usually going to a race weekend or something like that.What was Mrs Whip's issue with the seat? My wife said she's sitting kinda high, I though maybe it could be worked out with an after market seat.Thanks all for the welcome!

Mrs Whip had trouble just getting on the bike. It was like climbin a tree to her. We have done several 700 miles plus days on the KTM.....and 12,000 miles in 35 days last summer.

I wish ya the best...and hang around this is a great place.

Try to fit Torrey and the Un Rally into your schedule, you won't be sorry.

We'd love to meet ya half way for lunch sometime if you like.

Whip

BTW...My brother works in League City.

Thanks Whip,

Does your brother ride? We go eat with the LT forum guys in the "Hill Country" often,Ill let you know when we are going to be up that away, should be around Dec.15

Thanks Whip,

Does your brother ride? We go eat with the LT forum guys in the "Hill Country" often,Ill let you know when we are going to be up that away, should be around Dec.15

Great, just let me know.

PM sent...........

We switched from a GL1800 to the RT in February, and have about 10,000 miles on the RT so far, almost all two up. I usually poop out before my wife does. We did have the seat redone by a custom guy, which she really appreciated...said the factory seat tilted her too far forward, and she slid around on it too much...but still rode that way the ten thousand miles mentioned, as we've just gotten the seats redone.

Given a choice, she'd go with the Wing seat, but she has yet to say "no, thanks" to an offer to go for a ride, or a trip, and often makes the suggestion. No motorcycle is perfect...I prefer many aspects of the Goldwing, but the RT is better for my riding style, and is miles better in low speed situations.

We rented one for 24 hours starting at noon, and put 400 miles on it before returning it, as a test ride, then bought one immediately. A 20 minute test ride from a dealer won't tell the tale.

Francois_Dumas

We did 1200 km days on our 1150RT, stock saddles and all. Try and do 500 km days on an LT or Wing in th Alps and you'll swap it for an RT any time grin.gifgrin.gif Okay, I've seen the roads in the US.... that's why you guys have LT's, 'Wings and Harleys.... lmao.giflmao.gifblush.gif

It would help to know a bit more about your pillion's riding style. Is she more of a passive rider who feels cushy comfort is paramount to her, or is she more of an ‘active’ involved type of passenger? The type that relishes the next curve that is tighter than the one before? Your comment about her loving the LT might lead us to think more the former. In which case stepping down (in the luxury comfort category) from an LT to a GT or RT might be a challenge for you. They’re both great 2-up mounts, but remember what you’re coming off of.

We do 1000s of miles of 2-up on a GS, but Donna is definitely more of the active, involved, “Lean into it!” type. She would be bored on an LT.

So the key thing in a decision like this really has to be riding style. Of BOTH of you. Because remember, if she is happy, you aren’t going to be happy!

Hates is a strong word, but my wife isn't that happy on the back of the 05 RT. Like Mrs. Whip, she has a hard time getting on and off. She says it's comfortable enough, but the wind buffeting is bad back there. I can sometimes feel it pushing on my back. I'm fine, but she's getting bounced around. We've tried a larger shield, but that seemed to make it worse. With the wind at our back, it's better. Into a strong wind, it's brutal.

We also have an 03 Triumph Tiger. While it beats the crap out of me, she prefers it.

If you're going to do lots of 2-up, take her for a long test ride. Solo, I LOVE it!

That's exactly what Mrs Whip says........and why she likes the Katoom....I block all the wind.

...Who invented that 2 step seat??????

Francois_Dumas

You know, you guys may have a point there.. Nina tells me the same..... but she won't let me have two bikes..... frown.gif

We went from Harley Road Glide to an R12RT... she thinks the RT is better because the back rest on the large top case hits her in a better place on her back.

The seat is still under evaluation so no final decision yet, but the early reports are that the tilt forward may need adjustment.

As far as the bike goes she liked the ease of mounting on the Road Glide better, but for everything else the RT wins.

She wished we could find pillion footboards. Illium makes some but they raise the foot position too much. (Sits like a horse jockey in the Kentucky Derby) Apparently no one makes pillion footboards (floorboards) that either lower the stock position or at least remains the same.

FYI

My wife really likes our RT. We went through a couple of windshields to get rid of the buffeting, for us the California Sci was a definite solution (my wife is 5'). We also have Rick Mayer seats and she does not have any issues even after 600 mile days.

When we got rid of the '04 RT we test drove both the RT and the GT. I really liked the GT but she did not like the riding position and I decided that I could live with the RT tongue.gif. She also likes the LT but its defiantly not for me.

The Goldwing and LT provide a luxury tourng platform.

Passenger seat is big, plush, comfortable.

That is by design.

The GT, RT, or other Sport tourers will offer lighter, nimbler designs.

Neither will provide, in most cases, the comfort of the LT.

If you need a lighter bike, you will have to compromise.

The ride difference between the RT and the GT is very distinct.

Ride both, decide what you want.

Then, see how that works for 2 up.

Best wishes.

My wife likes riding on the back of my R12RT, and the large BMW topcase (with built-in backrest) really makes a difference. We rode to California, and back, this summer and we both had a great time. It also helps having an intercom, but you no doubt know that as an LT owner. As has already been said, neither the RT, nor GT, is going to be as comfortable as an LT for the passenger, but you will appreciate the lighter weight I'm sure. I looked at both the RT and GT, but concluded the RT was the better bike for a passenger.

I have seen ladies actually sleeping on the back of the big bikes on more than one occasion. How comfy is that?

Doesn't look comfy to me, but Danielle sleeps on the back of my 1100RT all the time. She'll fall asleep for an hour or more at a time when we are traveling long distances.

I also used to fall asleep quite a bit myself when my Dad and I would travel on his Goldwing..........but that was back when I was still small enough to comfortably fit onto the rear seat of a Goldwing. That has been quite a long time ago grin.gif.

I suppose you meant:

Because remember, if she is NOT happy, you aren’t going to be happy!

Freudian slip, Ken ??? eek.gifdopeslap.gifgrin.gifdopeslap.gifeek.gif

Yeah, I meant to type, "If she ISN'T happy..." Oops!

My wife always fights to stay awake on the Goldwing. On the GSA, however, she is alert and enjoying it much more it seems. Maybe the fear of falling off keeps here awake!

My ex-wife dramatically preferred my 1150GS over an RT or the older K-GT. It took a little work (and about $50) to get the windshield to stop sending turbulent air right at her head, and of course the stock BMW seats were worthless, but those were the only changes. The ENORMOUS advantage a GS has over the other BMW bikes is the ability to run Jesse luggage. We used a Givi topbox for riding gear (electrics, rain gear, helmet storage when parked), but the two Jesse saddlebags are considerably larger and definitely more conveniently shaped than all 3 bags on a RT combined. The weight of the bags is also nice and low, just where you want it. Once you've gotten used to having that kind of convenient luggage capacity on long trips, you'll never want a bike without Jesse bags again. Combine that with a very comfortable riding position for both rider and passenger, along with a fantastic handling bike (I have Ohlins on the rear, but stock shock was good until it blew up), and I am not convinced there is any better long distance bike unless your passenger absolutely insists on that couch-like feel of the back seat on an LT. My ex didn't like it cause she couldn't stay awake back there. Every time we demo'd an LT, she was asleep inside of 30 minutes, which is a good thing for some, but terrible as far as we were concerned.

600 mile days were absolutely effortless with that setup. I never attempted anything longer with a passenger, but I have no doubt it would have been no trouble. Certainly, many of those 600 mile days were long days in the twisties where average moving speed was almost certainly less than 60mph over the course of the day.

And as for rider dynamics - there was nothing we liked more than to spank some of the old farts around here while 2-up on the way over the 12 to Torrey. The bike is more than capable of going VERY fast with a full load.

--sam

--sam

Come on guys TBPPITW (alright; The Best Pillion Passenger In The World) was falling asleep on my Honda CB350 K4 in 1975 and I don't think anyone would hold that up as the most comfortable of tourers, good bike though it was.

+1 for the GS, lack of weight is stunning as is 8 inches of well controlled supension on supect roads with a full compliment of passengers and luggage! (Just need to sort the seat out...)

Derek

R1200GS

Where do you find all these short wives? We would ride 2 up, and I would be in pain from scrunching my legs up. Handle 600 miles, hell no! 100 miles, and I was dying! I fixed that though, I just got my own bike. Now my legs are just fine! thumbsup.gif

Where do you find all these short wives?
No short wife here: Touratech pillion pegs and Suburban Machinery mount extensions. Donna has more leg room on our R1200GS than she did on our R1150RT. thumbsup.gif
Francois_Dumas
Where do you find all these short wives?

I for one had to travel all the way to Eastern Europe to find one...... tongue.gifdopeslap.gif

Where do you find all these short wives? We would ride 2 up, and I would be in pain from scrunching my legs up. Handle 600 miles, hell no! 100 miles, and I was dying! I fixed that though, I just got my own bike. Now my legs are just fine! thumbsup.gif

Danielle is not EXTREMELY short, she is 5'6".....but then again, I told her that the only way that she could stay around was if she could go for 600+ mile rides and not complain about it lmao.gif

Seriously though......there is a set of lowered pegs on the rear of my RT. They were installed from the previous owner, and I was told (by him AND his wife) that they were an absolute life saver when touring. I left them on, and Danielle has never made a peep about being uncomfortable.

stepfo4.jpg

Archived