IGNORED

Taconic State Highway from Poughkeepsie to New York City

Frank H. Wu

I write to say the Taconic State Highway from Poughkeepsie to New York City looks like a good ride. I just drove it this morning at 3 am. Nice gentle curves, good scenery (to the extent I could discern in the dark!), zero traffic at that hour and probably not too bad traffic in general. I'd love to go back on my bike sometime. So I commend it to you and solicit your opinions as to whether this assessment is good.

Cheers.

I did ride it a few years back and drove it north and south this past week. On Monday 11/19 north from Bear Mountain to I90 and on Thanksgiving Day south from I90 to the Tappan Zee bridge. No serious traffic either way. I think in that area it is by far the best north/south route you can pick. Forget I87 or I95.

As parkways go, it's a nice ride, but beware the troopers and deer. It's heavily patrolled and ruminant occupied. The local Pkpsie radio station, 101.5, plays a song about it, to the U2 tune "Sunday, Bloody Sunday", but called "Parkway, Bloody Parkway" about the deer hits.

Nice ride but not exciting. Folks already mentioned the deer and the LEO's.. I suggest watching out for the vultures too...once saw a friend nearly taken out by one as it lofted and couldn't get enough height before crossing the flow of traffic. It must've been full of too much deer road kill.

I like the northern end of it and now I live close by. Nice sweepers and no trucks! Ditto the deer and sheriffs, though.

Frank, next time you're that close please contact me!

As parkways go, it's a nice ride, but beware the troopers and deer. It's heavily patrolled and ruminant occupied. The local Pkpsie radio station, 101.5, plays a song about it, to the U2 tune "Sunday, Bloody Sunday", but called "Parkway, Bloody Parkway" about the deer hits.
Ditto thumbsup.gif

Time to domesticate deer - brand them, fence them in, harvest them, and make it open season on the 'strays'. Elect a 'deer-catcher'.

Bambi Must Die! clap.gif

I guess it's OK if you're trying to make time.....but there are sooooo much better roads just east of there.

County 82, 86 and 83, County 7, CR 27, CR11. Even the boring and straight Rt 22.

Let me know if you need a map.

Hey, thanks. Yeah, I did see deer. However, I saw no LEOs. Indeed, for the first hour, I saw no traffic on my side -- nobody passed me and I didn't pass anybody.

My favorite riding time tends to be the middle of the night/early morning (2 am to 5 pm). Cool (temperature wise, not attitude), low traffic, calming.

Archived