IGNORED

Cold weather neck protection

Are12C

I've been checking out the Aerostitch catalog looking at the balaclavas, wind triangle, and other products looking for some suitable protection to keep my neck and chin warm on the cold morning rides.

Anyone got any advice on cold weather neck protection or experience with the ones above?

I'm currently using a Roadcrafter with either a Gerbing heated jacket or windproof liner depending on the weather.

I've always used silk balaclavas. They are more comfortable than any of the other fabrics I have tried. I like the balaclavas because they also help keep my whole head warm. The silk ones are a bit thin however. I find it is a tradeoff: thinner and more comfortable but not as warm. If my neck is really getting cold I have a small black cashmere scarf to help out.

I use a Thinsulate head wrap folded in half or thirds. Works pretty well and will fit in a jacket chest pocket when not in use. The one I have is day glow orange bought at Walmart several years ago.

Outdoor Research Windstopper Balaclava or a Turtle Fur neck Gaitor.

The Balaclava is a little bit thick but I love it when it's really cold on a long ride. There may be better choices, but since I already own it, I'd be hard pressed to buy another. It stretches down just far enough to not leave any exposed skin when I have my Gerbing jacket jipped all the way up.

I started with a silk balaclava. The eye-hole design didn't work as well as I thought under a full face helmet.

My wife bought me a fleece mask that attaches behind your neck with velcro. I think it came from Lands End so it's not specifically designed for motorcyclists. It is really warm but I have a really hard time making it work under a helmet. It does nothing to insulate your ears or your head so I usually wore it with a helmet liner.

I bought my daughter a Turtlefur cap and really liked the feel, so I ordered a Shell-aclava from Aerostich. I think this is about perfect for me. It fits well under a helmet and feels warmer than the silk without being too terribly bulky. The opening covers your chin but not your mouth and nose, which I find is more comfortable. The neck is long enough to tuck inside the heated collar of my Gerbings liner so I feel pretty snug.

And, hey, since it's Aerostich, if it does not work for you, they'll let you return it no problem.

I've always used silk balaclavas. They are more comfortable than any of the other fabrics I have tried. I like the balaclavas because they also help keep my whole head warm. The silk ones are a bit thin however. I find it is a tradeoff: thinner and more comfortable but not as warm. If my neck is really getting cold I have a small black cashmere scarf to help out.

I hate to admit it, but if it's below 40F I also wear a silk balaclava along with the neck gaitor. tongue.gif

I use Arai helmets...fits my head better than the Shoei's.

I'm liking the idea of the turtle fur. Is the turtle fur windproof? I haven't been able to figure that out yet?

I've got a neck gaiter and a balaclava from Turtle Fur. Good stuff, and pretty warm, but it doesn't block wind. I use the gaiter the most, mainly because most of my riding is commuting, and the balaclava wreaks some havoc with my hair.

Edit/Correction: Turtle Fur does have a line of wind blocking products. Check the label for "WindTech." Not all of the products have it.

I use Arai helmets...fits my head better than the Shoei's.

I'm liking the idea of the turtle fur. Is the turtle fur windproof? I haven't been able to figure that out yet?

Mine seems to be windproof,once it starts to warm up a bit thats the first thing to come off.

wave.gif

BMW balaclava and a Campmor neck gaiter.

If really cold, Gerbings jacket liner with collar over balaclava and a bandana around the outside of the Gerbings collar, then the neck gaiter.

Will add a Schampa beanie style over the balaclava, pulled low over the forehead when it gets in the 20's.

wwm_821.jpg

Just take it off before you go into the bank or liquor store! lmao.giflmao.gif

grin.gif I don't know why they show the neck gaiter like that: it does look funny modeled on a foam head. I'm a traditionalist, so I prefer the complete anonymity a vintage ski mask offers when I knock off the banks and liquor stores.

ab8d_1.JPG

Thanks to all of you for the info. Ironically yesterday I rode from Houston to Austin and back. When I left home it was 43 degrees. The only part of me that was cold until noon when it warmed up was my neck and I was thinking about something like this for my neck. I ordered the Turtle Fur from LL Bean last night. The web site said they have free shipping temporarily so I went with them. Got to use the heated grips and seat on the 07 RT for only the second time and must admit it was nice. There's not a lot of opportunity to use these around here. Thanks for the info from all of you.

russter

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

This is a timely thread for me since the temps are definitely dropping and this year I have no windshield to speak of...might have to rectify that though.

I've been thinking of ordering a Bikers Comfort In Action model ST-Wind. It goes for about $28 in the motosport.com harley catalog that they sent me. It is made out of Gore Windstopper fleece. Do a google search on Gore Windstopper fleece and you will find a lot of quality backpacking clothes made out of it. Great stuff.

+1 on the Gore Windstopper fabric! IMO fleece is much more effective if worn under some sort of wind blocking material - or to put it another way, wind goes straight thru basic fleece.

If going to a balaclava, be warned that most companies sell them as "One size fit's all." On my experience balaclavas vary significantly in shape and size so I would be wary of purchasing without trying on the garment. There are lots of places to find these items: REI, EMS, ski and bicycle shops.

hi all i use a thing called turtlle neck.it is like a divers neaprine hood cut to just above the neck line.dont think they are still going but have used the divers hood as well

wwm_821.jpg

Just take it off before you go into the bank or liquor store! lmao.giflmao.gif

I just started wearing one of these at work with my open face helmet... works great. I keep forgetting to pull it down before making car stops though ha ha.

I agree...I just came back from the Ft Davis Mountains and rode comfortably with a silk baclava in 20 degree weather and some rain.

Archived