IGNORED

AUTOCOM SPEAKER REPLACEMENT PICTORIAL

markgoodrich

This thread inspired me to go ahead and try the speaker replacement. I cut the Autocom speakers off almost immediately after buying my first set (I’m on bike number three, Autocom #3) because my fat head made the speakers quite uncomfortable under the helmet, and of course sounded horrible anyway. I’ve also tried Etymotic ER4Ps…don’t, they have a hard part that makes them REALLY uncomfortable, despite sounding great; a pair of custom earphones from the Earplug Super Store, molds taken at home and sent off, but they never sealed properly and the little drivers went out twice within about six months; a pair of Westone custom molded earphones, which sound really good, but after a long day they really irritate my ear canals ((I think this may be a personal problem, rather than a Westone problem)), all of which were less than satisfactory for one reason or another.

I had an old pair of Sony headphones stuffed in a drawer, the foam having long ago given up the ghost, and decided to try using them in the helmet. The photos that are embedded here are clickable thumbnails.

First thing was to start whacking at them with some wire cutters and a screwdriver to get the speakers out:

th_DisassembledHeadphones.jpg

The next part was the hard part for me, desoldering the old wires, and soldering the Autocom wires onto the speakers. I’m not happy when I solder unless I burn at least two fingers, preferably three times, but I finally got them done (this is DEFINITELY a personal problem, but it’s proof ANYONE can do this chore) and tested and to my amazement, both speakers worked:

th_SolderedtoAutocomsystem.jpg

Next, having removed the cheek foam from both sides, I fiddled around with my finger, locating the “center” of the speaker relative to my ear (I left the top foam in place for this step), and marked the spots:

th_HelmetSpeakerlocation.jpg

The next step I took, which I stole from a Danish site describing Baehr helmet speaker installation will KILL YOU DEAD IF YOU DO IT, SO I DON’T RECOMMEND IT AND IT WILL VOID YOUR HELMET WARRANTY AND PROBABLY YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE AND THE POLICE WILL COME SHOOT YOUR DOG, but I did it to show you exactly what you should NOT DO, which is use a soldering iron or similar very hot object to melt the helmet Styrofoam just enough to get the little speakers mounted flush with the liner surface. REMEMBER, IF YOU DO THIS YOU WILL DIE, SO DON’T COME CRYING TO ME!!!

th_SolderingIronmeltingfoam.jpg

This last photo shows the finished prototype attempt. I will, after a couple of rides, adjust the speaker depth if necessary, further killing myself with more foam melting, and then use a dab of hot glue to hold the speakers permanently in place.

th_Finishedprototype.jpg

The speakers are a gigantic improvement over the Autocoms, in every respect, as others have attested. I can hear voice communication clearly even when wearing soft earplugs, but the music is of course somewhat muffled…perhaps someone can recommend a good musician’s earplug which will attenuate without the attendant loss of clarity with regular foam plugs???

If I can do this project, you can, too. I strongly recommend soldering any finger but the pinkie, which for some reason hurts more than the index finger.

I should also mention that I use a small AmpliRider with the Autocom, for music. I purchased mine from a friendly fellow in Canada and mounted as shown in this next photo (he’s apparently changed the design, no doubt improving it). Having the ability to control music volume with a slight improvement in sound quality is well worth what he charges, in my opinion. The volume control is REALLY helpful with satellite radio, as receivers such as the Roady are not motorcycle-friendly when it comes to making adjustments.

th_Ampliriderknob.jpg

I hope this is of use to some of you. As you can tell from the photos, my soldering and cutting skills are very deficient, but the result is what counts.

I use helmet speakers and custom molded earplugs. These $65.00 wads of plastic are great noise reducers and I'll never ride without them ... BUT-

Inveterate tinkerer that I am, I decided to drill a small hole right through the center of them ... 5/64th if memory serves. I figured I could seal them back up with a little silicon if the modification didn't work.

Result was significant improvement in sound quality, particularly in the higher frequencies with almost no loss in background noise reduction.

Rather than melt the styrafoam I compressed it with a blunt rounded instrument and then slipped the speakers behind the lining material

To locate the ideal position of the speakers I dusted each ear with talcum powder and carefully eased the helmet on (fairly easy with a flip face) The resultant "image" left on the liner made the compressing job quite accurate

I understand Autocom speakers are 32ohm impedance - do you know what value your Sony ones were and what difference it can make?

Kritou, I first tried the compression method, but the particular speakers I used were relatively deep, and rather than resort to pounding with a hammer, I chose the Baehr meltdown route...either way that section of the helmet will no longer provide protection.

I wish I'd thought of the talcum powder idea, very creative.

Interesting that the Autocom speakers have such high impedance, I hadn't even given that angle a thought. A quick google search implies almost all headphone speakers are 32 ohm impedance. The particular headphones I used, Sony MDR 501, don't provide a useful hit. My guess is the slight power provided by the AmpliRider will overcome any additional "driver power" necessary, but simply because I type this sentence does not mean I really know what I'm saying....

Congratulations on your speaker install. I did the same thing to my SHOEI when I got my RT back in '97. Worked great.....sounded great too!! I left the foam "surround" on the speakers though.....with the music off...it was almost like having foam plugs in my ears.....really quiet. But now I have the LT....and went with the AutoCom speakers! The only problem there, is that when I go to pick the helmut up.....I'm always grabbing right where the speakers are.......and having to do a "quick release" so I don't punch thru the paper accidently.........

Pat

Congratulations on your speaker install. I did the same thing to my SHOEI when I got my RT back in '97. Worked great.....sounded great too!! I left the foam "surround" on the speakers though.....with the music off...it was almost like having foam plugs in my ears.....really quiet. But now I have the LT....and went with the AutoCom speakers! The only problem there, is that when I go to pick the helmut up.....I'm always grabbing right where the speakers are.......and having to do a "quick release" so I don't punch thru the paper accidently.........

Pat

Pat, don't worry about damaging the Autocom speakers. The speaker itself is actually slightly larger than a quarter in diameter, and is encased in a hard plastic housing. You can't damage it with finger pressure.

The oval shape of the "speaker" is really just a plastic holder, presumably to make it look larger than it is, and perhaps assist in placement in the helmet. The actual speaker just pops out of the oval piece.

Archived