IGNORED

Where to buy mapsource city navigator?

brianbmw

I just bought a used garmin 2610 for $90 but it didn't include the Mapsource CD. Is there anyway to get it cheap, or can it be copyed?

Brian

You can copy it BUT it won't do you any good. You're going to have to buy a legal copy with an unlock code. Try GPSDiscount.com although I suspect the price will be the same as what Garmin sells it for.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I just bought a used garmin 2610 for $90 but it didn't include the Mapsource CD. Is there anyway to get it cheap, or can it be copyed?

Brian

You can copy it BUT it won't do you any good. You're going to have to buy a legal copy with an unlock code. Try GPSDiscount.com although I suspect the price will be the same as what Garmin sells it for.

Unlock codes are specific to each individual Garmin GPS unit; whomever the OP bought it from should already have an unlock code for that unit in his possession.

Strange that the unlock code wasn't handed over along with the GPS itself. confused.gif

If i sent someone a 2GB card for my garmin 2610. Could they load every thing on there that i would need, and then that would get me by for a while?

Brian

That will not work unless it is the person who sold you the gps. It will only work in the gps that is registered to. I sent a 2 gig card to macamoose with all of europe on it when he was there. It was usless/wouldn't download.

Joe Frickin' Friday
If i sent someone a 2GB card for my garmin 2610. Could they load every thing on there that i would need, and then that would get me by for a while?

Brian

The GPS unit in your possession has a serial number that makes it unique from every other single GPS unit in the world. When you buy an unlock code from Garmin, you supply them with your GPS unit's serial number; the unlock code they sell you will only work with that particular individual GPS unit. It's simply not possible to get any other GPS unit's unlock code to work with your GPS unit.

If you go to Garmin's website, you can typically get them to send you updated Mapsource software for free - but you will still need to buy (or obtain from the previous owner) an unlock code in order to allow your GPS unit to make use of that software.

Your best (cheapest) bet is to talk to the previous owner and see if he still has the unlock code written down somewhere. Barring that, if you have his name, it might be possible to get the unlock code from Garmin if you talk to their customer support.

As a last resort, you may just have to buy a new unlock code from Garmin.

Thanks guys, i will talk to garmin. The guy i bought it from got it when he bought a used car. It was already installed. I have most of the info, such as maunuals, mounts, and things like that, he is going to give his car another search and see if he can find the CD.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Thanks guys, i will talk to garmin. The guy i bought it from got it when he bought a used car. It was already installed. I have most of the info, such as maunuals, mounts, and things like that, he is going to give his car another search and see if he can find the CD.

Ah, so you're the third owner of the GPS unit. If the guy who sold it to you ever downloaded stuff into the GPS, then he must have the unlock code somewhere, but if not, then you may have to just buy a new one (even if he does find the sofware).

Archived