IGNORED

So, after 12K miles, my OEM Metzeler Roadtec Z6's need replacement soon...

lthj75

What is the latest consensus on the best replacement tire? I liked the handling, mileage, etc of the Z6's, so I am not necessarily looking to change, but wanted to get the boards advice, experience & feedback. If no one has strong feedback on another option, I'll like go with the Z6's again.

Also, I'll be installing them myself with the help of a fellow BMW buddy (thanks E30tech thumbsup.gif), so where is the best place to get the tires online?

Thanks in advance and ride safe!

I stuck with the Z6's again for my RT. I replaced the rear at 8200 miles and the front is getting very worn at 12K +. I may look into something else next go around.

Did you manage to get 12K on both front & rear?

As far as where to buy someone posted ironpony.com in OH running a big sale on just about everything. Shop around for the best deal. Most will ship for free if you spend over $100 buckaroos. Good Luck~

Did you manage to get 12K on both front & rear?

Yep - I did...I liked them overall. Found them for $108 and $140 each....with free shipping - not bad!

I "stuck" with the z6's but mine were handling badly after 7k miles and I had already plugged the rear. I just replaced them. I ride the twisties pretty aggressively so this might be why the tire was behaving so badly(front). It would fight me on any steering input. When I took it off, I could see one side wore more than the other, and the tire was no longer round. The bike had pilots on it when I bought it and after ten thousand miles they were howling in the turns. I think if you ride conservatively, you can get over 10k miles no problem, as there was still lots of tread left. Just don't expect the bike to corner easily and hold the line in the corner. Also, I was running 32psi front and 36 rear. I think that may have contributed to the bad wear patterns. This set I am keeping at 38front and 40 rear for solo riding. Love the z6's, just would like to get more than 7k miles.

i also got 12k from my oem Z6's,replaced both at the same time with Z6's again,the back was nice and square,while the front was down to the 1mm limit here in the UK.this tyre is ok for grip and milage,why try anything else?

2005 1200RT

CoarsegoldKid
i also got 12k from my oem Z6's,replaced both at the same time with Z6's again,the back was nice and square,while the front was down to the 1mm limit here in the UK.this tyre is ok for grip and milage,why try anything else?

I just don't know how you guys get such mileage on your tires. My '05RT is 5K +or- 500 miles tops. Z6s are fine.

What is the latest consensus on the best replacement tire? I liked the handling, mileage, etc of the Z6's, so I am not necessarily looking to change, but wanted to get the boards advice, experience & feedback. If no one has strong feedback on another option, I'll like go with the Z6's again.

Also, I'll be installing them myself with the help of a fellow BMW buddy (thanks E30tech thumbsup.gif), so where is the best place to get the tires online?

Thanks in advance and ride safe!

Cycle Gear has competitive prices and will mount/balance for $20 each. There is a store in Edison, NJ... thumbsup.gif

Archived