IGNORED

Iron Butt Org - Delays in Certifications - letter from them

Fajah

This was sent to me after my inquiry:

> Hey, sent my packet and money in for an August ride. Know you have

> cashed the check, but have heard nothing.

>

> During different bike gatherings I have heard comments on how slow to

> turn around Iron Butt applications, but was curious how long you

> figure you will take.

Hi, John!

Mike Kneebone recently sent the following to Premier members:

---------------------------------------------------------

10/09/2007

As you no doubt know, mid-2006 through today has been a trying time for the IBA certification program. I am happy to announce that our new staff (new meaning the people I hired in January 2007 are finally

up-to-speed!) is really starting to shine. All 2006 rides are now verified and heading off to be printed and mailed. Most 2007 rides are close to the same stage but we are trying to them in order (there are some exceptions, rallies get through quicker as we avoid the math, if you are over 65, yours is going to get priority also and a few 2007s slipped through the system as they were marked 2006).

With more people on board, we are going to have to raise prices on January 1, 2008, but the good news is, we have enough **trained** verifiers now to get 2008 rides out in 2 months. So now, everything else is catch-up, catch-up, catch-up to get back on track.

Everyone is working over time to get the rides out and hopefully I can get out of production and back to managing the Association again (I've been working every second I can checking the checkers and correcting 2006 rides).

-------------------------------------------------------

Ira Agins

Iron Butt Association

I got an email from MK this weekend giving me My IBA#

You are receiving this e-mail because of your application for a ride certification. This note is to let you know that your ride has been approved and although your ride documents may take a few more weeks to arrive, your membership has also been approved and entered into the Iron Butt Association's member database.

Welcome to the Iron Butt Association

I did the ride and sent the paperwork in in Sept 06

wait time 14 months.

Longer than I waited for my FJR. smile.gif

confused.gif

Not to rain on anyone’s parade but what is the point of this anyway....I just don't get it....I pay someone money to verify I did what I already know I did so I can buy stuff from them (I have seen a license plate frame) or does it actually have some other value I am unaware of....

lurker.gif

confused.gif

Not to rain on anyone’s parade but what is the point of this anyway....I just don't get it....I pay someone money to verify I did what I already know I did so I can buy stuff from them (I have seen a license plate frame) or does it actually have some other value I am unaware of....

lurker.gif

Nothing wrong with a little ego adjustment from time to time....

WOW! It looks like I've been ahead of the curve twice in my life -- both times motorcycle related. Most of my life I've been behind the curve.

I did my SS1000 in Aug '05 and got my cert within 60 days.

In Feb. '92, I purchased a new Harley and took delivery in two weeks. 'Couldof had another color immediately. By the end of March the wait was several months.

confused.gif

lurker.gif

Nothing wrong with a little ego adjustment from time to time....

It does seem kind of silly to get outside validation. I don't know exactly why I decided to do this, but it was a lot of fun and just talking about it to casual riders and non riders was a lot of fun, before and after the ride. Most think I am nuts for riding like I do anyway.

I never take my bike to a Wal-Mart run, usually when I move it, it will be a 300 mile ride minimum. Don't bar hop and there is not real BMW comunity where I live. I ride solo most of the time and it was kind of fun to plan the trip and execute the plan, reminded me of when I got my Private Pilot Single Engine Land ticket, just a lot of fun. I am not current as a pilot and I doubt if I will do many more 1000 mile plus days either.

When I see a "world's toughest rider" t-shirt/ball cap/tag holder, it is an invitation to ask the rider about their trip and get to know them a little.

Try it, you might like it.

Later,

Thanks for not taking offense, many folks think this a major honor and I wasn't trying to belittle their efforts in any way. Personally I know plenty of riders who are much more "hard core" than I am and likewise I know plenty of folks who think I am pretty "hard core"...and after all posting my ride tales is a similar exercise in self gratification so to each his own...

But I take it the certificate does just allow the owner to buy stuff and nothing else?

Thanks for not taking offense, many folks think this a major honor and I wasn't trying to belittle their efforts in any way. Personally I know plenty of riders who are much more "hard core" than I am and likewise I know plenty of folks who think I am pretty "hard core"...and after all posting my ride tales is a similar exercise in self gratification so to each his own...

But I take it the certificate does just allow the owner to buy stuff and nothing else?

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,

they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,

you may become vain and bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser (hard core riders) persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

A edited verse from my favorite poem Desiderada.

I think they have an Iron Butter list on the Web...but other than that, I think you are right about what you get.

Later,

Rocket_Cowboy

The certificate is just for yourself. It doesn't get you into any kind of secret society, doesn't get you out of speeding tickets, and doesn't get you cheaper gas prices at the pump. It's just a 3rd party verification that you achieved a particular endurance event.

Nice poem, aspiring to be better than everyone is a recipe for disaster IMHO...and comparing oneself to others is something I gave up on long ago...plus my dad set the bar way too high….

So what does it cost to get this cert. anyway?

The certificate is just for yourself. It doesn't get you into any kind of secret society, doesn't get you out of speeding tickets, and doesn't get you cheaper gas prices at the pump. It's just a 3rd party verification that you achieved a particular endurance event.

Ditto.

If there was not some type of 3rd party verification, then anyone could claim they done it. In life I have learned that once you instate any type of verification process for just about anything, you instantly loose the majority of folks up front. Like others have said, we do not get anything more than a good feeling and "bragging rights". Thus far my bragging rights have got me one cup of coffee. smile.gif

confused.gif

lurker.gif

Ahhh, Nick. If you have to ask, then you won't understand anyways.

You've never, ever, done something just so you can say you accomplished it? No matter how "worthless" the result? I think that you have.

That's why we do these things.

My list of things I have done "just because" is many miles long (and of undoubtedly dubious value to most anyone else)...it is the outside certification I was questioning, not the pursuit of a personal goal.....

Nice poem, aspiring to be better than everyone is a recipe for disaster IMHO...and comparing oneself to others is something I gave up on long ago...plus my dad set the bar way too high….

So what does it cost to get this cert. anyway?

Your post was interesting and revealing. You know, I read that poem and funny thing is, I didn't "walk away" thinking that is what the poem was telling me at all. In fact, the poem asserted several truths, not just one (i.e. be better than everyone else) of which I didn't pick up on at all. Maybe it was just me. As for, "what does it cost?" The IBA is not about public approval, fame, being better than everyone else, it is about being your personal best. Honestly, if you have to ask the question, I wonder whether you can afford it, and doubt the IBA is for you. And please don't get offended by my response, I mean you no harm. You just really came across somewhat angry and/or irritated by this thread.

Peace to you.

I think you are commenting on the entire poem, I was only referring to the highlighted part in Fajah's post...and to me that is what it says, and I agree with it completely.

As for angry/irritated....I doesn’t get that and it was not my intent to give that impression, it was an honest question and the original poster seems to have taken it that way in their reply...

On the other hand the idea that "The IBA is not about public approval, fame, being better than everyone else, it is about being your personal best" strikes me as untrue and a bit disingenuous....putting a plate on your bike that says "the world's toughest motorcycle riders" is IMHO exactly that...if it was only about being your personal best then knowing you took on a challenge and accomplished it would be enough…

But that probably sounds irritated and angry… grin.gif

I can see I offended you, I am sorry for that.

I reread the poem twice and I still don't see where you get the be better than everyone part. And, I couldn't find a post that only quoted a portion of the poem. Must just be me.

OK, I will concede that there is some vanity involved with displaying an IBA plate, and some oneupmanship in the IBA ranks. There are a limited few LD types that may want to be better than the rest, some of them are. Most all I have had the pleasure of knowing only want to find their personal best, and maybe stretch the envelope if possible. But for the most part, all of this is outside the purview of the public eye. Disingenuous, that's pretty strong stuff, difference of opinion, yes.

You know, there's nothing to be gained from this, except to risk escalating it into a match of words, and I don't want that. So, come to DVD, let me buy you a beer and we can talk about the IBA and LD riding, as friends. thumbsup.gif

I don't think I will make DVD, but I will assure you I am not offended, just curious....perhaps the UN or one of the tech daze up here this spring (then again I don't drink but a diet coke works also)...you are always welcome if/when I host my next tech daze (you can see/use my new lift)...or at Jamie's when that happens...

I have a friend who has "documented" over 100 1K days (many during IBA events) and I knew him for years before finding this out about him. I am blown away by that type of mileage....but it is not for me, I prefer to see some stuff along the way myself...

I don't think I will make DVD, but I will assure you I am not offended, just curious....perhaps the UN or one of the tech daze up here this spring (then again I don't drink but a diet coke works also)...you are always welcome if/when I host my next tech daze (you can see/use my new lift)...or at Jamie's when that happens...

I have a friend who has "documented" over 100 1K days (many during IBA events) and I knew him for years before finding this out about him. I am blown away by that type of mileage....but it is not for me, I prefer to see some stuff along the way myself...

You're on my list for a diet coke. Tech daze or UN, sounds good. thumbsup.gif 100 1K days, I wonder if I know your friend.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans

Just because you accomplish something and get a trinket for it and enjoy having the trinket, doesn't mean you think you're better than anyone else. Besides, Queenie keeps us all humble.

Cock-a-doddle-do (crowing) ooo.gif

Got the SS1k and BB15 confirmations today.

Comments on this tread as it found it's way:

I love the back and forth of the folks here, the diverse, opinion rich environment. I am glad that a few folks read the Desiderada and enjoyed it's words of wisdom.

You all are the greatest.

Congrats on your rides! Enjoy the moment!! thumbsup.gif

Truedat.

Although I have the plate frame, and proudly display it, I only "earned" it once, and it was a "PAIN IN THE BUTT". well, the documentation aspect was at least!

I've done the deed many timnes (I just tried to count and gave up), as have most of the riders I know, but the documentation aspect takes away from the ability to enjoy the ride itself. This is why I may never document another SS1K or longer ride.

Then again, I may find the challenge worthwhile again someday. Regardless, I sure won't be shallow enough to diss anyone that goes to the trouble of doing the documentation to prove that they did the ride I just enjoyed, because the docs take effort that I prefer not to invest.

Y'all enjoy and ride your own ride and don't bad mouth anyone else for doing their own ride.

When are we gonna see your smilin' face again buddy?

I get out and around... Just not very much. However, I'm hoping sometimes past the end of July I'll start having at least a little more time.

I reread the poem twice and I still don't see where you get the be better than everyone part.
I'm not sure that Nick is saying that the poem recommends that one should compare themselves to others as it clearly says otherwise . . . unless they want to become vain and bitter! grin.gif

I think Greg might have mistaken Nick's "What's up with that?" comment as yet another in the litany of folks who chafe at the idea of anyone "certifying" a 1000 mile ride--either because they could not do the certification (though not necessarily the ride itself) or they just bristle at the thought in general and they look disapprovingly at those who do . . . or with ever the slightest tinges of green at the IBA license plate frame on their bikes (right, Yeeha!? lmao.gif ). These people post here regularly with the seasons and commonly try to either belittle the accomplishment or chide those who do participate as vainglorious, usually under the guise of "I'm just trying to understand". Completely understandable error. grin.gif

John, I love that poem too, and since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I managed to butcher it for my own homage: here! (clicky) lmao.gif

I know it's a big deal in Bragging Rights for some but after a few, or a lot, 1K days, it's NOT.

It's nice to ride a bike that allows 1k saddle times. Most of mine were on a R65LS, not a big comfy RT with Farkeles and toys. Sure would have been a lot more pleasureable. But I was younger and crazier then, I'm stranger than that now!

Do you really need a piece of paper justified by register reciepts to know you're a hard core Beemer Buddy with the milage under your seat? wave.gif

Cock-a-doddle-do (crowing) ooo.gif

Got the SS1k and BB15 confirmations today.

Comments on this tread as it found it's way:

I love the back and forth of the folks here, the diverse, opinion rich environment. I am glad that a few folks read the Desiderada and enjoyed it's words of wisdom.

You all are the greatest.

Congrats on getting certified. clap.gif

And don't back down on being proud of your plate.

You are right, I don't need a peace of paper, and I don't need to boast of my accomplishments

after a few, or a lot, 1K days, it's NOT.

It's nice to ride a bike that allows 1k saddle times. Most of mine were on a R65LS, not a big comfy RT with Farkeles and toys.

The intent of this thread was to inform those that care, about the delay.

I really have enjoyed this whole thing, and guess what, I have a t-shirt in a picture frame in my office denoting my first solo flight as a pilot...do I NEED it, no, but I sure do like it. Do I need the peace of paper, no, but I am proud that I got it.

I really doubt that the "piece of paper" will ever leave my home office, but I bet someday, hopefully, a long time from now, my kids, will be digging through my belongings and come across these reminders of something I did, just because it was fun. and they will smile and think of me.

To each his own.

Later,

Archived