IGNORED

Hall Effect Sensor

moshe_levy

All-

Does anyone have any pictures of the Hall Effect Sensor for a 2004 RT? Does the wiring run right along the engine block itself? I'm in the midst of an article about wiring harnesses and as I understand it, this sensor's wiring is prone to heat damage on Oilheads due to its proximity to the engine block. Any help appreciated - thanks!

-Moshe

As a matter of fact, the wiring melt down and short is what saved my bike from catastrophic failure when I simplemindedly left it running with the throttle advance full on.

The wiring short shut the bike off, some tupperware melted but the bike came back to live after replacing the harness.

Weak link on the 96 RT...thank goodness dopeslap.gif

It's not been an issue on the R1150xx series however. The problem is mostly limited to the R1100xx series.

Sorry to say Ken, but it was an issue on my 2003 twin spark 1150RT. Failed sensor - cable OK.

Andy

It's not been an issue on the R1150xx series however. The problem is mostly limited to the R1100xx series.

Sorry to say Ken, but it was an issue on my 2003 twin spark 1150RT. Failed sensor - cable OK.

Andy

Well I never say never, but in general they haven't been the challenge on the 1150 series as on the 1100. Sorry to hear you were the luck of the draw.

Moshe,

My 99' R1100RT Hall sensor failed. The wiring tested out as same resitance as new harness assembly. There may be as many failures of the sensor it self as there might be of the wiring.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Moshe,

My 99' R1100RT Hall sensor failed. The wiring tested out as same resitance as new harness assembly. There may be as many failures of the sensor it self as there might be of the wiring.

The common failure mode is cracked insulation (due to heat+time), leading to a short between two wires (typically due to moisture, thus the all-too-common story of the bike dying in a rainstorm and sometimes coming back to life after it dries up). Unless you actually tested the sensor itself and determined it to be bad, I'd bet the problem was in the wiring: your harness may indeed have tested as low resistance from one end of each wire to its other end, but if you measured from one wire to another and got something less than "open circuit," that's probably the problem.

Mitch has a good point I should of explained further. When my hall sensor failed, I pulled it and tested the sensor first. It was dead. I had Honeywell hall sensors from another aircraft project. It was the fully compatible with the BMW application. So I installed the honeywell hall sensor and made a new wiring harness with mil-spec high temp solvent resistant grade wiring. My information was related to the fact that the Hall sensor itself had failed in this instance. It was not a wiring failure that percipated my problem. Upon visual inspection the old wiring was fine. Resistance measurement correct. Did not test di-electric breakdown as, I was replacinging the wiring anyways as the bike was already opened up and I had the parts at work.

I am in agreement that the wire insulation breakdown would be a common failure.

But in at least this case it was a failure of a Hall sensor.

I would suggest to anyone as long as you have the hall sensor out of the bike, change out the wiring.

It was inexpensive to use the Honeywell Hall sensor and wiring compared to the BMW price for the assembly.

I seem to be chasing the same Gremlin on the 2000 RTP, The sensors show OK static wise with the LED glowing as I rotate the engine.

Those with more experience seem to vindicate the exercise of removal and replacement.

I just do not look forward to the task at hand.

If I ignore it long enough will it go away? lmao.gif

60,000 happy miles on my 99 r1100S and just today I am reading what thw hall effect sensor issue is.

Makes me nervous!

-Eff

60,000 happy miles on my 99 r1100S and just today I am reading what thw hall effect sensor issue is.

Makes me nervous!

-Eff

It shouldn't make you nervous. Changing it was easy. Just set aside some spare time this winter and change it before it strands you. If I can do it, you can too thumbsup.gif

Archived