IGNORED

stebel nautilus

beemeruser

I have recently purchased a nautilus horn to replace the sqeaking joke that is currently on my 1100RT.Sadly,I didn't realise you needed intelligence to fit it.Help!What do I do with the relay that came with it?Be gentle with me.I need patronising guidance!The suppliers can't (won't)respond to my cries.

Some info here including a schematic on wiring up the relay:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/954394/an/0/page/0#Post954394

You could PM some of the guys that have posted on that thread to ask about locating the horn, relay etc

My tips:

1) Not familiar with working on m/cycle electrics? - get someone to help you who is!

2) Don't use any of those aweful quick-lock type connectors. Solder any wire joins

3) Use heatshrink insulation or other good insulation on all wiring

Good luck............if you fancy a trip up to Zummerzet I'll give you a hand cool.gif

There is all sorts of room up in the cowling, but make sure it can not move after installation. Check over and over for clearance problems during installation. Especially check for clearance during heavy fork compression. Use multiple fasteners! If any parts end up in the wrong place you may not be able to turn!!! Don't ask me how I know! By the way if you want to find out a part number for replacement don't contact the company, they will not reply, ever. Also while the horn is louder than stock I don't believe the published figures. Anybody checked with a decible meter?

Thanks for the posts. I was going to get a Stebel today and switch mine out.

I have read and looked at the related links. I will only be installing 1 horn. Is 1 horn just a simple switch? 2, a bit more complicated? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance. thumbsup.gif

My '04 RT had two horns, so the swap was just stock for Stebel. I imagine if your bike has just one horn, the swap will be even easier. It's a pretty simple operation.

-MKL

Very nice job on the presentation. I wish companies would stick to real world figures on their products! Thanks for the work you put in.

Well, remember, I tested it (dual) at 50 feet. At 5 feet or wherever the company tested these horns, I don't think they'd have much trouble backing up their claim of 139 db! These things are LOUD!

-MKL

Well perhaps I got a horn that was substandard. When I hit the switch when working on it, it is not painful and other noises that are supposedly 130db or more are painful to me. That said it was useful enough to install again. When the brush went out on the motor it should have been an easy fix but since the company will not respond to e-mails fixing it became a matter of sanding down a larger brush and soldering on the old connectors. When the horm went out again I gave up and took it out and replaced it with the stock horns which were not as loud as One Stebel but sure last longer. After checking it out on the web apparently some of their horns are OK and last --- but some are not so good and fail frequently. Hope everyone else gets a good one. One tip, make sure that the horn is not pointed forward? Bugs fill it up! Water is also a problem EVEN IF THE OPENING is behind the fairing!

Great write up and the pictures! made for an easy install.

One question, on my '02 I need to adjust the right horn. It rubs against the right "air vent" to the point that I had to remove it, pending adjustment, verse having it break.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

I say it is loud and people hear it!

Thanks. Regarding the vent, I positioned the horn so it barely made contact, and then shaved some of the plastic off of the vent on the "ugly" side facing the horn. No more contact, problem solved.

-MKL

Archived