IGNORED

Can you spot the BMWST.com member in this picture?

russell_bynum

My friends, other than the birth of my child, THAT was the most incredible sight these eyes have ever seen. Thank you, Dex.

These are from my unsteady hand about 3.5 miles away taken by my P&S (Didn't want to lug the good stuff up, and Christine is sure to post a few pics that will do the day justice!) The BMWST contingent was simply awestruck.

UP! (5 sec. after ignition)

252053746-O.jpg

UP! (about when the sound hits you)

252053720-O.jpg

AND AWAY! (40 miles downfield, 2,000 mph in a few blinks of the eye - solid booster separation point)

252053743-O.jpg

Very cool. thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

Way too cool.

Hey Dex, we've got the 18th off, so if you want to accidentally hit that de-orbit burn a little early and bring it down at Edwards so we can watch, that would work great for our schedule. thumbsup.gif

And a few of our pictures:

Great seeing Jake and Paula again!

252052458_9bQNf-M.jpg

Christine, Abby and James in front of he countdown clock. Pad 39A is the one to the right of the sign.

252050715_9T94t-M.jpg

Had to crop these a little so they lost a little reolution. Christine has major lens envy again. Of course Kenny and I agree all of thos camera guys are just compensating anyway.

252054254_E7f7b-M.jpg

The clouds that worried us all day ended up providing an interesting backdrop:

252056412_AojVg-M.jpg

The smoke trail was so huge. You can see the shadow it created.

252057406_JVApV-M.jpg

Just an awesome experience. We were really fortunate to get invited. Thanks Dex! How was that first night of weightless sleep?

James realy dug the BMW Hydrogen car on display at the visitor's center:

252049699_kJsCi-M.jpg

russell_bynum
And finally, for my very amateur video

Beavis, that was the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Seriously....brings tears to my eyes.

This officially settles it...Dex is the coolest human being on Earth. cool.gif

And finally, for my very amateur video

That literally made me cry!! All the way up to the point where SOMEONE stated that the shuttle was going faster than the GS!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

The video impact of every single launch is so over-whelming. I can't really imagine the impact of actually being there!!

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

This officially settles it...Dex is the coolest human being on Earth. cool.gif

Ummmmm only one problem with that statement....... lmao.gif

Hey Man, I wasn't dissing YOUR 'ol GS!!! Yeah, yeah, we know...you love your job.

211186main_s122e005060_420.jpg

[NASA QUOTE]

Image above: Astronaut Alan Poindexter, STS-122 pilot, gives a "thumbs-up" signal on the flight deck of Space Shuttle Atlantis during flight day one activities.

My husband and son drove up to Cocoa to a friend's and then headed north via boat to watch the launch, from the river. It's amazing how close (relatively speaking) they were able to get to it.

In the words of my 4.5 yr old, "Awesome!"

It really is a treat to be able to watch them take off live. I'm usually pretty aware of when the Shuttle takes off, but I don't pay much attention to the satellite rocket schedule. So it's funny when I'm driving down the road and see one take off and for a brief second I'm thinking "WTH????" until I realize what it is. grin.gif

One of my favorite early memories of moving to FL is waking up late one night to watch one of the night launches. Even from Vero Beach it is beautiful...from the Jetty it is breathtaking. I could go on.....(yeah, we know Patti) but I have lots of great memories from watching the launches over the past 12 years.

Best wishes for a safe and successful trip to Dex and the rest of the crew!

I was lucky enough to see a night launch several years ago. It is as impressive as anything. I wish I could have seen a Saturn launch.

I wish Dex and the whole crew good luck. I have a friend working the Orbit 2 Team (controllers) at JSC for the station right now. Who knows, maybe they’ll talk.

We had 4 of our JPL friends over for dinner tonight and I told them about Dex.

Brian who is one of the rocket engineers said "I'll help design the rocket but I'll never strap myself to one!"

Ah engineers... where is their sense of adventure?

Cool pix of the launch!

Hopefully, Dex gets the following via a friend of mine at Ames Research Center.

"Hugs and Kisses from your friends at BMWSportTouring.com".

Did Dex ever say whether they have internet access up there? I want a thread started from space!
I say a blip sometime yesterday that mentioned no they do not. Seems surprising. But I guess it's not like they have anything else to do than surf BMWST.COM. smirk.gif

Quick update from Lisa Poindexter (Dex's wife):

"What an exciting and emotional day for me and my boys. I cannot begin to explain how proud I am or how weird I feel. It's all good.

Here are some pics that were send down today. Please feel free to pass them on.

Alan called about an hour ago and says he is doing great just very busy."

252631378_4fVdk-M.jpg

252630427_GvbkF-M.jpg

Cool pics Mark. Dex looks like he is having a ball. What a stellar experience it was to be there. I've been catching up on some of the nasa videos this morning. My pics of the launch pale compared to Christine's or any of the official photos.

Just catching up on this thread and I gotta say ... there are only a few things that are guaranteed to make me tear up - a space launch is one of them.

That is absolutely beautiful!

<GEEK ALERT>

I can't tell you how many times my family has made fun of me for watching the "poster channel" (that's what they call NASA TV). I'll sit there some nights while I read with the TV on tuned to the shuttle sitting on the pad. It'll be days before a launch.

lurker.gif

</GEEK ALERT>

Guess it ain't nuthin' to him to orbit the earth and be all weightless and stuff.

I tuned in to nasa tv for a while yesterday and managed to catch him and a couple of the other guys spinning around and playing a little in between tasks. Sure looks like fun Dex. thumbsup.gif

Archived