IGNORED

Can you spot the BMWST.com member in this picture?

russell_bynum

90% go weatherwise as of this am. it's absolutely perfect for a launch. wish it was post sunset. night launches are something that must be experienced.

russell_bynum
Mission scrubbed for today due to technical difficulties...

They found some oil seeping from the final drive....

tongue.gif:

Joe Frickin' Friday

tongue.gif:

Or maybe someone thought Marty Hill was on board, and sprinkled some fresh oil on the ground under it... lmao.gif

tongue.gif:

Sounds more like a Hall sensor. grin.gif

Fuel gauges for the external tanks weren't working.

They know the tanks were full, nobody's driven the thing since the tanks were filled, & the tanks get jettisoned about 15 minutes in to the flight.

Where's the problem? ne_nau.gif

I say light that bottle rocket, & let 'er rip.

Buncha sissies. tongue.gif

Shoot! I was looking forward to the launch. It can be seen from the Tampa area on a clear day (and this time of year nearly every day is clear.) I'll take some long-distance pix and post them when the launch happens. thumbsup.gif

All 14 of us are staying another day to hopefully catch it. The thing is, the next possible window is 4:06p tomorrow, but that doesn't mean it'll launch then. They have to do an expedited drain of the tanks and watch the sensors to see if they flip at the right time as it drains. There are four sensors, and three must work or it's scrub time. Two bailed, so better to be safe then sorry. We should know more late this afternoon and early into the evening.

Joe Frickin' Friday
There are four sensors, and three must work or it's scrub time. Two bailed, so better to be safe then sorry. We should know more late this afternoon and early into the evening.

Two words:

Lowest

Bidder

dopeslap.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Actually, they said something about some EPA lab in Ann Arbor being responsible for QC. tongue.gif

Nope, we just check fuel economy and emissions (did you see the big sticker in the window?). wave.gif

I just heard on NASA TV that tomorrow's launch is off, and the earliest they'll fly is Saturday.

Yep. All 14 of us changed plans to go to the launch today, but now that it's Saturday, Julie and I have to head back. Even Saturday is hte EARLIEST, and the weather probability is only 60%. Watching the news conference, Saturday didn't seem all that probable to me. They have no intention of digging in and figuring out what's wrong with the fuel sensors--they just decided that they need a good sleep and some individual time to think some more. So the management team is reconvening today at 2p, and then they'll see if they can come up with a solution, which will almost certainly involve a new set of sensors (already installed), tied into the instrumentation better. The whole thing seemed a bit too uncertain, and we can't make the launch tomorrow anyway without cutting it too close in getting back to Nashville for something we can't postpone.

It's a bummer, but we still had a great time and were able to support Dex. thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum
I just heard on NASA TV that tomorrow's launch is off, and the earliest they'll fly is Saturday.

Yep. All 14 of us changed plans to go to the launch today, but now that it's Saturday, Julie and I have to head back. Even Saturday is hte EARLIEST, and the weather probability is only 60%. Watching the news conference, Saturday didn't seem all that probable to me. They have no intention of digging in and figuring out what's wrong with the fuel sensors--they just decided that they need a good sleep and some individual time to think some more. So the management team is reconvening today at 2p, and then they'll see if they can come up with a solution, which will almost certainly involve a new set of sensors (already installed), tied into the instrumentation better. The whole thing seemed a bit too uncertain, and we can't make the launch tomorrow anyway without cutting it too close in getting back to Nashville for something we can't postpone.

It's a bummer, but we still had a great time and were able to support Dex. thumbsup.gif

Blah blah blah.

Where are the pictures, camera boy?

tongue.gif

A non-photographer given the photo op of a lifetime confused.gif:

I did manage to get some good ones however. I'll post later.

229778511-M.jpg

A prelaunch pep talk:

229779445-M.jpg

Van der Graaf fun at the pre launch reception:

229781277-M.jpg

...and killing time waiting for the next launch attempt:

229778681-M.jpg

Looks cramped in there! Talk about Farkles tho... grin.gif

jsc2007e14485.jpg

"...sO wHAT hAPPENS if I pwress 'dis whed button ovah heeah..." lmao.gif

thumbsup.gifGo Dex, Go..!! thumbsup.gif

on a more inquizative note -- are those light blue "velcro" tabs strewn through the cabin? I mean I had a little of it on my RT's - RCU shelf, but this is madness..! lmao.gif

Musta gotta deal on some ... 'specially in that color..

I also see Dex is ATGATT...nice armor, musta made a run to Aerostitch.!

"I'm on ur shuttle, stealin ur fuelz."

lmao.gif

Oh my, I truly did laugh out loud at that. I LOVE the "LOL Cat" language/grammer....didn't expect to read it here.

Patti

• 1 month later...
russell_bynum

Weather doesn't look good. The Weather Prophets are predicting only a 30% chance of acceptable weather for launch.

Stay tuned to nasa.gov for more info. If it's a go, they have a 10-minute window at 2:45pm EST.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Weather doesn't look good. The Weather Prophets are predicting only a 30% chance of acceptable weather for launch.

Stay tuned to nasa.gov for more info. If it's a go, they have a 10-minute window at 2:45pm EST.

991553-launch.jpg

991553-launch.jpg.8fc957ea6ae998c854a1c9ccd34384be.jpg

Well so far the clouds are holding off. They are loading us up in the buses now. It's really hot so I'm sure the storms will build up again. Fingers crossed. Hopefully we'll have pics and video to post tonight or tomorrow. Go Dex go!

And can I just say, if they end up landing that thing at Edwards, I'm going to do all I can to see that! Problem is, you never really know until it's too late for us to get out there.

russell_bynum

Cool Mark, keep us posted. It looks decent from what we can see on NASA TV.

The hatch is closed.

GO DEX GO!!!!!

Wow, found that amazingly tense actually having met somebody on board! HDTV is great for shuttle liftoffs, bit disappointed with the sound levels though, hoped they would boost them up like they do at the start of F1 races.

That was amazing! We are really fortunate to get an opportunity to see something like that. I'll try to get vid and pics up later. I had my zoom on the whole time so the video is pretty jumpy.

Go Dex Go!

And my other comment is, see the other thread going on about clothes that keep certain body smells in; I can imagine if those engines were going off under me, I'd need something! grin.gif

I posted on Advrider about the launch, and that the pilot is a "MRN" member. One guy asked what is MRN. This was my answer, and a comment:

"Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. Advrider nickname for bmwsporttouring.com website, because it is too civilized for many ADV inmates taste."

they get an astronaut and we get....

Archived