IGNORED

Can you spot the BMWST.com member in this picture?

russell_bynum

GO DEX!!!

+1 thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Man... I cannot THINK of anything cooler/better or more "worth it" than getting to ride into space. Dex, you are "The Man" - I do envy you. smile.gif

russell_bynum

Launch time is scheduled for 4:31pm Eastern Standard Time on Thursday, December 6th.

Be there (virtually, since most of us can't see it in person) or be square!

Since I'm about 18-thousand-and-some-change posts behind you Russell, I CAN'T SPOT HIM.

bncry.gif

Which one is he?

Dex, please take one step towards the camera so the plebes know who you are...

Second from right. Bald, goofy looking guy with the big nose. tongue.gif (I know he's too busy to hunt me down at the moment.)

Damn! I thought that was Fernando. tongue.gif

Pilgrim

Where's his BMWST.com patch?

What kind of lame representin' is that?

I say we ban him!

grin.gif

OK... dat was funny! cool.gif

Come on, Dex! Can you at least smuggler a BMWST.Com sticker on board? thumbsup.gif

We'll be there--and will bring back (hopefully) some good pictures!

Lucky bastard.

Luck? If you were a real MC rider, time and distance wouldn't keep you from riding out there... $#$# man, this guy is going into outer space, and you can't even take that RT cross country? smile.gif

Best of luck to you Dex!

Second from right. Bald, goofy looking guy with the big nose. tongue.gif (I know he's too busy to hunt me down at the moment.)

I knew it, I'm sure I met him somewhere. I beleive it was at Torrey ? thumbsup.gif

I can't wait to read the ride tale grin.gif

Had the pleasure of meeting and riding with him a few times--awesome dude! wave.gif

Here's a shot from the Texas Hill Country Ride in the Fall of 2004:

10319334-L.jpg

Go Dex!! clap.gif

Just to embarass him...

I found some impressive info on Dex:

Linky

If a guy like this likes RT's.

That says alot for the fun factor these bikes have.

Really nice bio Dex!

Have fun up there and think of us poor slobs back on earth riding around in teenie circles on our bikes and have a good laff!!

I mean basically well be spinning on a pinpoint and our handlebars wont even be locked! lmao.gif

He doesn't--he likes the 12GS. Hasn't had an RT in many years. grin.gif

I told him that if he doesn't like the way the landing approach is looking to just do a go-around. grin.gif
Too FUNNY!! Talk about yer "Flyin' Bricks!!" And here I thought he was partial to R-Bikes! lmao.gif

Well, he was on an RT when I met him at Hill Country, then he graduated to a GS but sold that baby, and now he's moved up to shuttles (not built by BMW, I may add). And you thought that you were moving up in the quality of your rides, Baker. Gonna be tough to surpass Dex's new ride. Now let's all watch and see if it pulls to the right.

Good flight, Dex!

russell_bynum

Now let's all watch and see if it pulls to the right.

If all goes well, it should start pulling to the right about 8 seconds after liftoff.

I heard Dex was going to try removing the spacer between the SRB's and the External tank to see if that lessens the PTTR. cool.gif

How do you counter steer a shuttle? wink.gif

I'm pretty sure that's what OMS is for. grin.gif Push right, go right.

I wonder if it PTTR and if Nasa calls it character when it does?

Well, I dunno where you guys are hanging out, but I'm kinda angling for this spot to view the launch. It's a bit of a long shot though...

Forward Fireman Team Spot

====================

"The absolutely positively best place to see the Shuttle launch is to get yourself a place in the Forward Fireman Team. This is an exceedingly rare thing to come by and takes considerable political pull but it has been done. This team is the group that parks 1650 metres from the pad in one or more Armored Personnel Carriers ready to go in and aid a crew abandoning ship in an extreme emergency. Needless to say they can tolerate only one or at most two extra persons in and among them. You stand a better chance if you have had any kind of fireman training - especially fighting shipboard fires (like Naval veterans) - because then you're more likely to be actually *useful*.

The noise at that distance is no longer noise. It's just one great big horrible screech. Also, the heat off of the yellow-white hot SRB flame columns is so terrific that you have to wear those silver colored fire-proof suits and head coverings. You don't dare leave a camera by itself on a tripod without heat foil covering because it will likely melt or at least burn up the film inside."

[/i]

That's the HOT seat! tongue.gif

..........is this the great man himself?

r1200gs_Boz_on_the_moon2.jpg

dopeslap.gif

Fourteen of us are down here to see Dex head off into space. He called and we chatted briefly tonight via Lisa's cell phone (his lovely wife).

We also had a typically disrespectful jaunt defiling the life-size cutout of Dex at the open house. grin.gif And I made it clear that as soon as he touches down, the picture of the Tequila night in Creel is getting published! tongue.gif

We're headed out to take some night pictures of the shuttle now, and then get up bright and early tomorrow for the launch.

He explained on the phone tonight how to get him an email, so when he's up there a few days we'll shoot him one and hopefully he'll be able to shoot us a note from space.

This is all too cool.

He explained on the phone tonight how to get him an email, so when he's up there a few days we'll shoot him one and hopefully he'll be able to shoot us a note from space.

This is all too cool.

David,

I hope us includes the good (& bad grin.gif) folks here on the board?

Please post some images when you can smile.gif

Archived