IGNORED

When you get older.... Would you?

Bheckel169

What do you mean by "when you get older?"

I will be 80 in another month and still have fun riding my '96 R1100RT.

That three wheeler could be dangerous in the twisties!

Bob clap.gifclap.gif

Bob clap.gifclap.gif

Welcome Bob! Finally somebody who can take from me the Oldest Fart title! thumbsup.gif

Relative term isn't it, Bob? Age is just a number and I'm glad you're still riding. That's what I want to do and I'll be 61 in a month. But, actually, I thought of all of us who might be a bit gimped up; bad leg, bad hip, loss of some physical strengths that might keep us from riding in the open air and on a two wheeled vehicle.

Bruce

I've sat on one - I liked it.

I've seen 3 of them hauling A** down the freeway thru Burbank a couple of months ago. I was able to get close to them on the road, and I think they are simply sweet. Looked great, sounded great.

We will all get to the point where that 3rd wheel will keep us on the road.

YES! Count me in.

For the price, absolutely - i think its very resonable.

If the thing had a canopy for the rain, that would rule even more.

Maybe thats my aftermarket biz idea for retirement...

I've checked them out already just because of the curiosity factor. It felt like a snowmobile on the road. Not really the same as riding a regular motor at all. I'll probably stick to the traditional style BMW (2 wheels 2 cylinders) as long as I'm able.

I was utterly humiliated by 2 Hayabusa sidecar outfits once, going up Jauffenpass in the Italian Alps. When my RT has to be parked, I must admit a K-outfit is rather tempting...

Bob clap.gifclap.gif

Welcome Bob! Finally somebody who can take from me the Oldest Fart title! thumbsup.gif

Wow! I feel like a kid again. wave.gif

What do you mean by "older"? I will be 80 in another month and stiol have fun in the twisties with my '96 RT.

Bob

+1. Welcome to "the" board. I hope to be doing the same. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

No way! dopeslap.gifIf and when the day comes that I cannot ride my 2 wheelers any longer, I'll drive my cager and remember the good ole days and read the posts hear! thumbsup.gif

I could see getting one, unless Yamaha puts this into production.

yamahatess_800x600_d.jpg

I doubt it would go into production. Four wheels means it would have to be registered as a car. It would have to comply with associated DOT regs, crash safety and emissions stuff. That's why ATV's are not street legal.

In the UK it would only be a car if it weighed over a minimum weight, below that it is considered a quadricycle and only needs to meet motorcycle rules....

Andy

We see lots of riders in their 70's and 80's at our rally. Had one in his 90's who rode to the rally and camped out. I talked with a guy 84 who just completed the four corners ride for the third time on his F650GS and was planning to try again but cut a few days off his time. Look at Ardys Kellerman who won the mileage contest ( 80,000 in six months ). She's either 73 or 78. All these people give me hope that I can ride another 15-20 years( 60 now ) since I got a late start in the sport.

I saw a spyder at lunch today and chatted with the owner a bit. The guy (late 20s, early 30s) really likes it, says it's a blast to ride with no worries about traction. I think I'll stick with the two wheelers for now, but I can see the appeal.

I sell the Spyder. Can't get you one till 09. Actually you can come in and put 1K down and they'll build you one. MSRP is high end of 16K.

My first thought was, bigger windscreen, raise the bars some, and put side cases on the back. Would I ride it coast to coast? Yes I think it would be a new kind of touring "machine".

I think it will take, but it will take awhile. thumbsup.gif

Wyn,

I talked to my closest dealer in Virgina (I'm in North Carolina), and he thought I could get one by May of 08. I'm assuming with a $1,000 deposit it will also be built for me. It might be a bit premature for me but I do believe there's a market niche for this vehicle.

Bruce

OLD!!! ooo.gifooo.gif

I'm 60 and own one...can't see me getting rid of it at all!

And we have an 82yo and a 79yo that ride with our group....the 82yo just traded his R1100RT for an F800ST (and he rides an SV650 on track days!!) and the 75yo just traded his old 1200GW for an R1150RT and LOVES it!

Age is merely a state of mind...provided your body isn't in a BAD state lmao.gif

The Spyder is a blast to ride but it has a very high steering effort at least compared to any bike. Mind you it's not going to tip over on you. I did the demo ride and loved it! Just put a set of snow tires on the thing and I'm good to go!

louisvillebob

This for Bob, who'se gonna be 80 soon:

I gotta brag about my dad. He's 81 now, rode his '82 R100RT from KY to CA and back this summer. 5040 miles. We've already made our reservations for Wyoming this summer. Keep riding.

Archived