IGNORED

another garmin question

lawnchairboy

hi:

finally updated to citynav2008, I figure once every couple of years is plenty...

problem is this.. my laptop runs mapsource fine and shows both the v6 and the citynav 2008 mapping software as choices but my actual garmin GPS unit only shows v6 citynav map software... how in the sam h&*% do I update the mapsets on the actual GPS unit itself so that it is also using citynav2008 version maps?

TIA--chris

Rocket_Cowboy

Would be helpful to know what GPS model you're using.

Some units get their maps updated via Mapsource, so that once you've updated Mapsource, you push down the new maps to the unit. More of the newer units (the ones that run City Navigator NT), use a separate DVD to update the maps on the unit ... separate from the DVD that updates Mapsource.

You gonna have to unlock your new software... Open MapSource, select 'utilities', then select 'unlock maps' and follow he wizard. Try the unlock key that came with your inital software, (should be on a yellow card that came with your old software, and I remember the key number being printed reeeeeally small too eek.gif). If you can't find your old software key or if that doesn't work, give Garmin a call or contact, they have great customer service.

sorry for the lack of clarity... I have already unlocked the software and it is running on my laptop. I have the garmin "BMW Nav2" labeled unit. I just don't get why if I have unlocked the software and it runs on the laptop why the GPS unit itself is not running on citynav2008 when I push a new route mapped with that version of the software to the GPS...

thanks, computer challenged in smith mountain lake...

I think that is the case for me, I have an older unit, can't figure out how to make the GPS use the new citynav version...

OK, figured it out... since I had an unrecognized communication problem between my computer and the GPS, I never had loaded 2008 version maps successfully to the GPS, thus, v6 still showed up as the enable map set until I finally successfully pushed a new route with 2008 maps... man I am technology challenged sometimes... must be the 10million calories I've eaten in the last two days

Rocket_Cowboy

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Once you said you had the Nav II, I figured you'd get it licked ... but you got it figured out before I got back from dinner.

sorry for the lack of clarity... I have already unlocked the software and it is running on my laptop. I have the garmin "BMW Nav2" labeled unit. I just don't get why if I have unlocked the software and it runs on the laptop why the GPS unit itself is not running on citynav2008 when I push a new route mapped with that version of the software to the GPS...

thanks, computer challenged in smith mountain lake...

I tried to update my Nav III and Garmin sent me the City Navigator NT disk and it wouldn't load onto my Mac. When I called them, they told me I had to wait until Garmin released an OEM disk for BMW Navigators to upgrade. The generic disks won't work on the "OEM" units.

Hi,

Have you tried to use it by loading on a PC?

There is still a lot of Garmin/Mac compatibility issues.

I'm a Mac guy,but am still using the PC to load and work with the GPS.

Have not had any problems using update discs on my BMW Nav II,did not require any special disc.

Also make sure you have updated to the latest Nav III firmware.

JR356

Hi,

Have you tried to use it by loading on a PC?

There is still a lot of Garmin/Mac compatibility issues.

I'm a Mac guy,but am still using the PC to load and work with the GPS.

Have not had any problems using update discs on my BMW Nav II,did not require any special disc.

Also make sure you have updated to the latest Nav III firmware.

JR356

The firmware stuff updated just fine using my Mac. I'll just live with my v.8 maps for now.

Archived