IGNORED

Looking Cool on Your Bike

Frank H. Wu

Do you ever say something that is so pompous you don’t realize it until the words are out of your mouth and your spouse laughs at you? Here is such a moment. So I was driving with my wife and we passed a Ducati rider. I said to her, “You know, whenever I see someone go by on a Ducati, I think to myself, ‘Hey, he looks cool.’ But I’ll bet when he sees me go by on my BMW, he thinks to himself, ‘Hey, he looks cool.’”

Seriously, though, I think most motorcyclists who are riding responsibly look cool when I pass them. I am always alarmed by the dangerous riders who are racing on the highway, and sometimes disturbed to realize how small a bike is when it is next to a semi. But there are some bikes I hardly ever see. Other than someplace where you would expect BMWs to congregate, I have never passed a bike identical to mine, even before I painted it (black K1200RS before), and I rarely saw the same model in a different color. So it is probably the rarity of some bikes that makes them more noticeable. There are probably more Ducatis of any model on the road than BMWs – there are fewer Ducatis sold, according to the data, but they have far fewer models, so for any given Ducati model there probably are more out there than for most BMW models.

I KNOW I look cool when the pretty blonde in the convertible gives me a big thumb-up. Good she cannot see through the faceshield of my helmet grin.gif

While rarity does have a certain "wow" factor to it, it's not quite the same thing as coolness. For all the good qualities BMWs have, making the rider look cool is the rare exception rather than the rule.

While rarity does have a certain "wow" factor to it, it's not quite the same thing as coolness. For all the good qualities BMWs have, making the rider look cool is the rare exception rather than the rule.

And that is why I did riding my harley.... thumbsup.gif

Do you ever say something that is so pompous you don’t realize it until the words are out of your mouth and your spouse laughs at you? Here is such a moment. So I was driving with my wife and we passed a Ducati rider. I said to her, “You know, whenever I see someone go by on a Ducati, I think to myself, ‘Hey, he looks cool.’ But I’ll bet when he sees me go by on my BMW, he thinks to himself, ‘Hey, he looks cool.’

Are you serious?

Seriously, though, I think most motorcyclists who are riding responsibly look cool when I pass them. I am always alarmed by the dangerous riders who are racing on the highway, and sometimes disturbed to realize how small a bike is when it is next to a semi. But there are some bikes I hardly ever see. Other than someplace where you would expect BMWs to congregate, I have never passed a bike identical to mine, even before I painted it (black K1200RS before), and I rarely saw the same model in a different color. So it is probably the rarity of some bikes that makes them more noticeable. There are probably more Ducatis of any model on the road than BMWs – there are fewer Ducatis sold, according to the data, but they have far fewer models, so for any given Ducati model there probably are more out there than for most BMW models.

What?

Do you ever say something that is so pompous you don’t realize it until the words are out of your mouth and your spouse laughs at you? Here is such a moment. So I was driving with my wife and we passed a Ducati rider. I said to her, “You know, whenever I see someone go by on a Ducati, I think to myself, ‘Hey, he looks cool.’ But I’ll bet when he sees me go by on my BMW, he thinks to himself, ‘Hey, he looks cool.’”

I'm not sure what you said. confused.gif

Are you riding a motorbike for you, or for how you look to others?

Cheers

Remember "chrome don't get you home"

Steve (01 GS)

Steve

To me, Cool is a state of mind while I'm looking out through my visor at the world I ride in. It doesn't matter what others think of my ride whether it's a BMW, Harley or Rice Burner. I put in 130 miles today before any Thanksgiving games or meals. Just me and a friend on a cool crisp morning in the Santa Monica Mountains riding the canyons as the sun came up and ending up and the Pacific Ocean on PCH at Starbucks watching all the Malibu "Cool" people. I wasn't impressed as they were with themselves. My day was as "cool" as a morning gets and no one saw me riding up there. Cool is a state of mind.....

Francois_Dumas

In Europe BMW's are rather boring, and so are ATGATT guys..... the 'cool' ones are those seen on American movies I guess lmao.giflmao.giftongue.gif

I KNOW I look cool when the pretty blonde in the convertible gives me a big thumb-up. Good she cannot see through the faceshield of my helmet grin.gif

Paul, are you sure it wasn't a different digit? grin.gif

Thanks. Geez, you're as critical as my wife. I ride for the experience, not the look. I'm just saying there's also something that looks cool about seeing someone else go by on a motorcycle, especially if I'm stuck in a car. I always to take a good look at the bike and see how they're riding. Part of what makes motorcycling great, beyond the ride itself, which is the most important thing, is just thinking about riding and watching others ride.

And, yeah, it's pompous and self-centered to think about how you look one way or another, so I deserve to be ribbed.

But, related to that, I often forget when I have gear on (Aerostich suit in yellow, boots, gloves, carrying a helmet or walking around wearing it) that it is unusual looking (not cool, but unusual for most observers). It seems perfectly normal to me. Others react with sometimes alarm (they think I'm a fireman) or curiousity or some other reaction -- you forget how much you stand out. Especially in office buildings where everyone is in a business suit and they figure you're a messenger.

Anyway, I'll tell my wife everyone else thinks it's pretty pompous (or worse) to wonder about how cool one looks going by . . .

DaveTheAffable
I've actually glued my face shield down so i don't accidentally forget and raise it by mistake just for that one reason.

grin.gif

You know, Jay Leno has/had a K1200RS. I pasted a pic of him inside my faceshield with some little eyeholes. dopeslap.gif

I get LOTS of waves. (Paparazzi are a PAIN though....)

lmao.gif

When I took a racing course at Infinion Raceway my wife thought I looked cool and took this picture as I was heading up the front straightaway - (see below).

IMG_3989.jpg

I was actually kind of embarassed when a young girl leaving a bar(I was picking up carry out!) was getting hit on by a harley guy parked alongside my GS (will all the bags on it and on the center stand)He was trying to get her number and she kept looking at me in the full gear and said to the HD guy, "your bike is really cool and all, but it takes a MAN to ride a big bike like that!" as she pointed to the GS. I was kind of like ummmm...ok....sure. I gotta' go! Bye! I went to high school with the HD rider. He was not amused. Oh well.....Wife laughed about it though.

Me, pompous? Sure.

Every motor knows that when it comes down to it it is all about looking cool. cool.gif

If you don't believe me, just pay attention next time you see a motor officer drive by a large reflective surface, chances are he/she will be checking out their own coolness (hey, I just made up another new word smile.gif).

Of course, looking cool takes a lot of work. There is maintaining 'cool' when your bike falls over on a crowded street, when you have that 'oh, crap' moment in traffic, when unintentionally drag hard parts, when you forget to latch your saddlebag (Kawasaki), etc., etc.

When it comes right down to it, looking cool on your bike is a skill and it takes a lot of practice. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Sure, the Beemers. However, I've found that nothing epitomizes cool like a fat guy in leather climbing onto a maxi-scooter. I think the stares say it all.

I must look cool on my bike, With all the women flirting with me ?

For some reason they seem to be quite a bit older than me though. Maybe that's a BMW thing smirk.gif

DaveTheAffable
I must look cool on my bike, With all the women flirting with me ?

For some reason they seem to be quite a bit older than me though. Maybe that's a BMW thing smirk.gif

Well... Roy, I..., how could...

awww...never mind. lmao.gif

Anyway, I'll tell my wife everyone else thinks it's pretty pompous (or worse) to wonder about how cool one looks going by . . .

Good! You were starting to ruin our reputation!

lmao.gif

So, anyway: I walk into a BoJangles wearing ATTATT outfit with hi vis yellow jacket and carrying my helmet. The guy behind the counter asks, "Are you riding your bike today?"

"Lord, I hope so! If not, then I'm just playing 'dress-up.'"

Here I am: if a power ranger married a fireman and their kid got old and out of shape---he would look like me

Me, pompous? Sure.

Every motor knows that when it comes down to it it is all about looking cool. cool.gif

If you don't believe me, just pay attention next time you see a motor officer drive by a large reflective surface, chances are he/she will be checking out their own coolness (hey, I just made up another new word smile.gif).

Of course, looking cool takes a lot of work. There is maintaining 'cool' when your bike falls over on a crowded street, when you have that 'oh, crap' moment in traffic, when unintentionally drag hard parts, when you forget to latch your saddlebag (Kawasaki), etc., etc.

When it comes right down to it, looking cool on your bike is a skill and it takes a lot of practice. tongue.gifgrin.gif

There are Track Days and we've had plenty of Tech Days. Is it time to hold a Cool Days? grin.gif

[quote

There are Track Days and we've had plenty of Tech Days. Is it time to hold a Cool Days? grin.gif

Great idea! Lord knows I could use some help. I generally look like an albatross on take off and landing.

Suggestions:

How to mount and dismount without kicking the cases.

One foot or two at the stop light.

How to stratch your nose in traffic.

Pants cuff vs. foot peg flobbles.

How to carry your helmet without it looking like a purse.

Terrific......something else I'm supposed to be thinking about while watching out for idiots....... Help me lord.....heeeeeeeellllllllllllllp meeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Pat

As a part of our "Cool Days" instruction:

Perhaps we could get Tank to show us all how to put a fully loaded RT on the center stand while still sitting in the saddle. smirk.gif

Archived