IGNORED

Thanksgiving Riding?

Frank H. Wu

Is it gorgeous where you are? I am in DC with my family. It must be about 75 degrees and beautiful. Perfect autumn day for a ride, before the guests start arriving.

I went to the supermarket to get my wife some cooking oil just to get out o the house. It was only a 5 minute ride each way, but it was worth it. Heck, it's always worth it. However, this was just one of those days when I realize if I care about motorcycling at all I owe it to myself to go on a pointless ride just for the sake of the ride.

Bob,

How'd that heat experiment work out?

Let it chill and warm up, or keep it moderate all night?

lurker.gif

OP, great riding weather here. clap.gif

Got up this morning and took a short ride to have breakfast. It was a little cold but nothing like a morning ride to get your day off to a great start.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Todd

I was going to ride to work today, but I had left my forks unlocked the other day when I was working in the garage and my electronics suite being on for 30+ hours killed the battery deader than a doornail! I found it yesterday morning when I got home. Luckily after turning everything off letting the battery rest for a few hours while I was working on the car it grew enough amps to trigger the battery charger (it was REALLY dead! dopeslap.gif ). So I had to take the cage this morning to try out the new springs/struts I installed, but it was a nice day for a ride and there was ZERO traffic! crazy.gif

Happy Turkey-Day everyone! wave.gif

Bob,

How'd that heat experiment work out?

Let it chill and warm up, or keep it moderate all night?

image001.gif

So what I did was measure the percentage of time that the heater ran between 10pm and 11am (i.e. daytime setting again).

1)The dark blue line is leaving the temperature set at the daytime setting all night, obviously the heater ran quite a bit more.

2)The yellow line is letting the temperature drop until 7am then putting it back to the daytime setting.

3)The purple line is setting the night temperature to 5-10 degrees below the daytime setting

4)The light blue line is setting the night temperature to roughly 15 degrees below the daytime setting.

My conclusion is that the difference between cases 2,3 and 4 is not really significant so I use method 2 as that is what I prefer. In the end the whole experiment (and there were lots more data points than here) was irrelevant to me. I did it because it was taking so long to heat the house in the morning (4 hours), it turned out that the swamp cooler vent was open and all the heat was going out of it! Shutting the vent solved my problem, the house doesn't drop more than about 10 degrees now on any night and heats back up in a reasonable time.

(Sorry you asked? grin.gif)

Got off work this morning and rode home. Hmmmm, it was a close one!!! Almost missed my exit. That would have meant a 300 mile trip to the next turn around!!!! tongue.giftongue.gif

Happy Thanksgiving!!! wave.gifwave.gif

I rode the GS about a hundred miles today. Waited for the frost to lift off the corners though. Bet it warmed up to 45. Light traffic with a blue sky, little marine haze where the ocean meets the land and BIG surf along the Oregon coast, a beautiful day for a ride. Now home to see what's to eat? Humm...

AdventurePoser

You bet. The Lovely Flame and I rode up to Julian CA to have breakfast with a few very good people... thumbsup.gif

About 290 miles round trip. Very nice except for the rapidly building traffic as we got closer to the city!

Cheers,

Steve

I rode my RT to the barn this morning,fed my 3 barn Kitties, then saddled up The greatest horse in the world and went up little suicide hill. From there we can see the pacific ocean. Just sat up there- maybe an hour and a half.

Not a soul around.

Just me and Rocco.

I gave thanks alright.

Happy day to all my motorcycle comrades.

No such thing today as I am snowed in. I cooked all day and played with the dogs in the snow.

Two days ago I was playing golf in shorts and today there is about a foot of snow on the ground dopeslap.gif

I am the Thanksgiving chef, so no riding for me today.

Tomorrow, I am the free spirit, riding to Morro Bay for lunch. Crazy_Canuck, my youngest son Wesley riding my RT, and me on the 12GSA, should get in a few hundred miles before the sun sets. thumbsup.gif

You bet I did!! I can't stand to see the snow fly and not get out and ride in it. 22 degrees and I felt like taking the DR SixFiddy for a ride (cause I'm tough). About an hour into my ride, while warming my hands on the cylinder head, I was thinking I should have taken my RT! (Cause I'm old and not that tough...and Wurty's heated gloves haven't shown up yet.) It was a beautiful ride and I love riding this time of year. thumbsup.gif

met a couple harley buddies and we did a short ride to a sbux for some joe. weather is fantastic down here. fun ride, saw many wild turkeys (yes no kidding) and enjoyed a great conversation. departed 630am home at 9am.

I rode again today. In DC, yesterday (Thanksgiving) it was about 75 degrees. Unbelieveable. Today, however, it was only about 45 degrees. A great contrast. Too many leaves on the little streets, though. I forget every year how dangerous leaves are.

Jan and I left SLC to ride the RT's down to Phoenix on Wednesday. It was 28 degrees F when we left town. The heated jacket liners worked well--I wished I had the heated socks and gloves. Temps hovered around 30 until we got to Cedar City. It was 50 to 60 as we rode through Zion NP. (We got some flashing lights from the Ranger as we were leaving the park along with hand signals to slow down grin.gif.

On Turkey Day, we left Page,AZ with temps again in the high 20's. We had a beautiful ride down through Flagstaff and Sedona to Phoenix. Weather down there was gorgeous, 50's to high 60's.

I had the BSA out for a 'round town ride yesterday, temp in the high 30's F.(Maine) Needed to run some fuel stabilizer through the system. She's now safely in my heated workshop for the winter. Had some great waves from folks who didn't expect to see any bikes out.

This inspired me to ride the RT. I've been saving tracks on my GPS and am trying to fill as much of the State of Maine as possible in the Topo maps as I can. So I went to Boothbay Harbor and rode a mess of backroads at very conservative speeds. Still some ice in the shadows if you aren't careful! Logged 110 miles of wonderful cruising. Nearly all of it on "uncharted" roads. It was 39 degrees when I got home. I was very comfortable.

I have been saving my tracks from my Garmin 60cx to a CSV file that will then display on Topo maps (or satelite photos) using a program called USAPHOTOMAPS.(Free from JDMCOX Software, Google it!) I have downloaded the topo maps for Maine and New Hampshire and my tracks are slowly highlighting all the roads I've traveled. I nearly always ride solo and I'm having a blast just cruising aimlessly.

I know that there will be a couple more days worth riding before the sand and salt make the roads too treacherous...

Archived