IGNORED

R1200RT side stand switches????

motorman587

• 4 weeks later...

we have one 1200rt-p and have had nothing but issues with the sidestand. After several times taking it to the dealer we had them bypass it all together. Nothing is worse than being in the middle of an intersection and have the bike die and be able to start again. It was such a saftey issue the dealer capped the connection so now it always works.

we have one 1200rt-p and have had nothing but issues with the sidestand. After several times taking it to the dealer we had them bypass it all together. Nothing is worse than being in the middle of an intersection and have the bike die and be able to start again. It was such a saftey issue the dealer capped the connection so now it always works.

There's actually a BMW part that you can buy to do this with. I had an R1100RTP and I did it. I just didn't like having the engine die every time I put the side stand down.

I have found the problem. The R1200RTPs have a locking side stand, different than the R1200RT. It was put on there because of the CHP bid that requires a "locking" stand, which is not needed if you park the motor the correct way. Anyway those locking side stand are crap. Half of your fleet have had them replace. Dealer, thank you, is putting the RT side stand on the broken once. We had one motor go in "5" times, and that is when the dealer stated enough is enough and replace the locking side stand. Even the problem fix from BMW does not fix it. Thank you Miller BMW.

Here in Honolulu, they've been having lots of problem with this switch. The Dealer claims if you leave on the side stand and add weight to the bike such as sitting, it put enough force to damaged the switches. The came up with their own fix to the problem modifying the switch. They love the new 1200 so much that they are getting another 30 units.

They were trying to claim that with us too. I can say I do not sit on the bike with sidestand down. Too uncomfortable for me. So mine went south for other reasons. It just sucks to push your $20K bike out of the way after a traffic stop, cause it wouldn't start. dopeslap.gif

Archived