IGNORED

quick release tank bag on my ST with pics

brianbmw

I took my Marsee tank bag and modified it to be a quick release system. I work as a design engineer and we have a rapid prototype machine in the office so i went to work and this is what i came up with. It is raised up a little higher then i would like, but it goes off and on with a 1/4 turn and it doesn't scratch my tank.

P1010445.jpg

P1010443.jpg

P1010446.jpg

P1010447.jpg

I see that it keeps it off the paint, for now. That might be my next tankbag. The BMW bag is kind of a pain to get on and off for fillups. And it contacts the paint in a few places.

Frank

I am probably paranoid but I don't like the idea of the two aluminum "spears" pointed at my chest cavity eek.gif

I picture them doing some serious damage in a crash situation.

Bill

ShovelStrokeEd

Somebody please convince me I can use something like this. I have looked, with some longing, at the Marsee Corona tank bags. I like Marsee products and use a strap mounted bag on all my bikes. However, when in long distance mode, I don't get off my bike to refuel, just release the back buckles, flip the tank bag off the right side of the bike and let it hang by the front straps. I then gas up and re-attach and I'm back on the road.

My electrical farkles are powered through the bag. To use one of these, I would have to dismount, place the bag on the seat while disconnecting all my goodies, gas up, reconnect everything and then move off. I just don't see the advantage.

I think the only advantage is it won't scratch your paint.

I guess it has a clean look too, even though it sits higher off the tank then a strap mounted bag.

Somebody please convince me I can use something like this. I have looked, with some longing, at the Marsee Corona tank bags. I like Marsee products and use a strap mounted bag on all my bikes. However, when in long distance mode, I don't get off my bike to refuel, just release the back buckles, flip the tank bag off the right side of the bike and let it hang by the front straps. I then gas up and re-attach and I'm back on the road.

My electrical farkles are powered through the bag. To use one of these, I would have to dismount, place the bag on the seat while disconnecting all my goodies, gas up, reconnect everything and then move off. I just don't see the advantage.

Well, I'd argue that you can do that with a QR bag - at least I do it with mine. I just release the bag, twist it 90°, and put it over the speedometer. I have one of the SW Motech's and it's worked fine for me (but I did have to raise the mount a bit to not scratch the paint even with the ring specifically built for the ST.)

Ed, it seems to me that a Big Mak bag would be a better solution for you. When I had my RT, I sold the BMW bag and switched to the Big Mak. When I traded for the ST, the Big Mak made the transition with me. I really like the design--it's a nice bag in its own right, and absolutely effortless to flip up for refueling. It seems like it's a better option for someone who uses a wired tank bag.

Archived