IGNORED

Garmin map updates?

Don_Eilenberger

Don_Eilenberger

Garmin recently sent me an email offering for $69.95 - a 2008 map update disk for my StreetPilot 2720.

Anyone gotten one yet and what's your experience with it?

I upgraded to CityNav 2008 and it works fine with the Garmin unit, BUT ... it does not calculate routes properly on either of my computers (running Windows XP). I have talked to Garmin tech support several times, and they even sent me another copy of the City Nav 2008 software ... same problem. The last time I talked to them, they said they are aware of the route calculating issue. (Hopefully, they will be issuing a fix update soon.) So, if calculating routes on your computer and downloading them on the Garmin is important to you, you may be disappointed in City Nav 2008. BTW, I am working around this problem by using two 2GB memory cards, one with CNNA 2008 on it and one with the older version of City Nav on it. I just switch the cards, depending upon how I am using the unit. Anyone else discovered route calculating problems using your home computers? confused.gif

Don_Eilenberger

Tom - from what I understood the email said - it's not "City Nav" - it sounds as if it's a complete replacement for the embedded maps of the US/Canada that are in the 2720 (it has no memory "card" and all the maps are fully preloaded..)

I have a MacBook laptop and I used it to update my 2720 about a month ago, update was easy to install.

Apparently i'm missing something, in that with a Mac computer I can not do any route planning on the computer, all I have available is what I can do on the GPS unit itself.

FYI to others.

Mapsource and City Navigator come with various Garmin units. Mapsource is the software that communicates between the PC/Mac based maps and the GPS units.

Garmin released the latest update to Mapsource this week. Version 6.13.5... there is no charge for the Mapsource updates.

Anyone else discovered route calculating problems using your home computers? confused.gif

Yes, I confirm that problem and also conveyed it to Garmin. Simple test case was to route from downtown Houston to downtown Dallas. With no Avoids and Faster time it will select IH45. Add "Avoid U-turns" and it will route you through Waco and add over an hour to the trip. On V8 it barely changed the estimated time.

The City Navigator North America NT Map Update 2008 DVD is available at Best Buy for $79.00. I got mine last month for $69.00. The update is good for a long list of Garmin units, but you can only update one unit with it.

There are two versions of City Navigator 2008. An NT version and a (more expensive) non-NT version. I don't know what the difference(s) is/are, except for the units each version works on. Be careful what you order or buy.

There are two versions of City Navigator 2008. An NT version and a (more expensive) non-NT version. I don't know what the difference(s) is/are, except for the units each version works on. Be careful what you order or buy.

The NT version data is essentially stored at a higher compression, enabling one to fit more maps into the same amount of memory than the non NT version.

Archived