IGNORED

It happened again!

Marty Hill

Hard to believe, thought by now BMW would have solved this problem. Having bragged about only losing dip beam bulbs on my '05 and '06 12 GS's...I must now report that the '07 did the same thing yesterday.

Will they never fix this ongoing problem? I'm to the point of not ordering an '08. dopeslap.giflmao.gif

I have a friend who traded in his car on a new one rather than wait for an oil change (really), but Marty is the only guy I know who trades in his bike for a new one because the headlight bulb burns out. wink.gif

Replaced the bulb. That sucker was hard to extract, felt like it was rusted in. Cut me some slack/no '08 for me...unless it's the 800GS in yellow and black. grin.gif

Hard to believe, thought by now BMW would have solved this problem. Having bragged about only losing dip beam bulbs on my '05 and '06 12 GS's...I must now report that the '07 did the same thing yesterday.

Will they never fix this ongoing problem? I'm to the point of not ordering an '08. dopeslap.giflmao.gif

be thankful it's only a dip beam...better than a prostate! lmao.gif

Marty, I know how you feel, I just had to replace my headlight on my sixteen year old Harley for the first time. eek.gif

Pat

90% of all Harleys are still on the road. Only 10% made it home!! lmao.gif

Sorry to hear 'bout the lightbulb failure but it appears that most people including myself get an average of 12K miles to a headlight bulb.

I'm trying the Slyv. Silver Stars (H-7) at 10bux a pop..Auto Zone.

Will report on the failure if under 12K miles... lurker.gif

I never lost my dip beam, but the ex kept mentioning something about a dim bulb. confused.gif

Never knew what she meant; it always looked good to me.

Marty, I know how you feel, I just had to replace my headlight on my sixteen year old Harley for the first time. eek.gif

Pat

Did the lamp oil last sixteen years? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Replaced the bulb. That sucker was hard to extract, felt like it was rusted in. Cut me some slack/no '08 for me...unless it's the 800GS in yellow and black. grin.gif

Hmmmm never had to replace a light bulb in any of my bikes....especially a dip beam. Tooooo funnny!! Anyway I have the KLR 650 in the 08 model. Maybe a 800 GS is in the future for 09! DIP BEAM and all!

Thanks, Marty. That's good to know. You've just saved me the cost of replacing my 2004 model. I'll just keep it, and keep on changing the dipped beam headlight bulb every now and then.

Hi Marty,

I had the bulbs on my R1150RT changed last week with the PIAA H3 and H7 much better than the stock bulbs. The original bulbs lasted 14,000 miles, HOPE THESE LAST AS LONG!

Cheers

RANDY

Marty, Marty, Marty,

How many times do I have to tell you, they last much longer if you don't continually dip them.

The constant flashing is annoying, worse than a headlight modulator because of the randomness, not to mention the danger of carpal tunnel and left thumb injury.

I know how much you like to have a light flashing on your bike, maybe it's time to go back to using the perpetual turn signal. smirk.gif

Besides, flashing can get you in big trouble around here...

Flasher.gif

Will dip beam for food.

Car_flashes.gif

wave.gif

grin.gif

Love ya, thumbsup.gif

Marty,

Try running the high beam for a while in the day time. People can see you better and you can even the wear between the dip and the high. The bulb will last twice as long. lmao.giflmao.gif Then you won't have to trade as often.

Maybe we should buy the KTM next time???? Dam BMW's.....

Hi Bill,

Great idea. Next time I'm up that way let's go sailing. Ex westsail 32 owner here.

Ken,

See you and Kate at Ron's next sat.

Maybe not washing the bike with a pressure washer would help. I've only had a few bulbs go out in all the years I've been playing.

At lest it's not the rear drive dopeslap.gif

For all you Lucas fans, I committed this outstanding piece of poetry:

How bright the light of Lucas lamps

To still consume such feeble Amps

The bright light shines on friend and foe

Then disappears, to cause such woe… clap.gif

replaced mine wiht motovision (designed for bikes not std H7) Philips claim so anyway. They are brighter and have a orange tint for visibility. ab 20 bucks a pop. They also come in H4 so worked for other bikes as well.

h

Hi Arne,

Enjoying the new house? See you have a new bike listed.

We are gradually settling in to the new house, and changing things to our liking. But even new furniture cost more than a new 1200GS nowadays, so it's a long and expensive process. There's even a guest suite in case you come down this way again.

That 'new' bike has been there for about 18 months. I'm actually trying to 'do a Marty' on that one, and sell it before the warranty expires. I've never managed to get entirely comfortable on it, and the new F650GS twin looks like it would be a good replacement for it.

Used a pressure washer once while following MikeRC and Smokey. Never seen so many bugs. Was on my 650gs then. Michael, who told you? Gottfried, wonderful poem. Arne, I'd love to come back some day. wave.gif

Artig. Tried to e-mail you, but it bounced. ASnyway, here goes: Hi

Noticed your postings on the BMW Touring forum and your number plate. Are you, by any chance, Scandinavian? Name and number plate would indicate that…

Grew up in New Zealand myself, at Swanson, north of Auckland. I was 3 when we moved from Norway and we moved back when I was 8. Still got vivid memories, though. Like to hear from you! And the rest of you: I'm not trying to hijack the thread - sorry!!

Svein

Hi Svein,

It is a tiger. I have about 800 hours in an ex-RAF tiger and about 500 in an ex Danish AF chipmunk. Yes, I have been very lucky. Airplanes old and new are my first passion.

Yes, Arne is from Denmark unless I've gone totally senile and I'm sure he will respond to you when/if he sees this.

Gee whiz Marty.

All theses replies to such an innocuous post. crazy.gif

I'm really glad you didn't get a new haircut too or we may run out of bandwidth. grin.gif

The photo of Marty with the Tiger Moth was actually taken at Ardmore Airport near Auckland, during Marty's trip to NZ a few years ago. There's a place on the South Island that builds or restores them, and a number of places where you can go for a scenic flight in one.

Archived