IGNORED

Dealer scraped my wheel!!

bobbybob

Just got rear wheel (R12RT) back from dlr. having new PR mounted. There is a 6" long "scar" down to the metal on the outer edge next to the tire bead. Is this to be expected with tire changes? What can be done, short of a new wheel, to fix? Did they also scrape the bead surface so it doesn't seal tightly? Dunno--before I call and hand someone their head, wanted to hear from others with this same experience.

Unfortunately all too common of a occurrence. People get in a hurry and scrape up customer's wheels. Complain. Demand a new wheel. Good luck.

This happened to me several years ago. Fortunately, I always review/inspect the work performed on my bike prior to leaving the shop. After some discussion, the shop replaced my rim at no charge.

Good luck.

ProductUser

I think that if you and the dealer didn't go over your wheel before you left it, noting any problems, and you didn't look at it when you picked it up.....you don't have much to stand on. Consider this a lesson learned.

Pat

I think that if you and the dealer didn't go over your wheel before you left it, noting any problems, and you didn't look at it when you picked it up.....you don't have much to stand on. Consider this a lesson learned.

Pat

Thats a valid point and it may end up that way. However, the service guy who checked it in "always" checks everything for scratches, etc., both incoming and outgoing. But yesterday he had an underling give me the wheel back and there was no mention of anything, and I was in a hurry so did not check it. First tire replacement on that wheel too, pretty obvious by the mileage. We'll see--I'll update with the final resolution.

Same thing happened to me. I brought the wheel in off the bike, was in a hurry and didn't pay much attention to all the "grime" that was on one side of the wheel. I was having surgery the following day and was not able to remount the tire for another 3 weeks. When it cleaned it up there were a series of scrathces in 4 different places. I took it back and due to the time frame they refused to do anything. I partially blame myself for the delay and consider it a lession learned. Needless to say, I have never gone back for any service and won't. I have also made it a point to relay this story to every rider I find if the subject of tire replacement comes up. I know of two people who have bought from the other dealer in our area because of this story.

I had the same issue. First new tires and didn't notice the series of scrapes and chips till I was home. Called the Service Manager as soon as I could (took a couple days) and he said they would make it right. I took it in and they took a rim off a bike on the floor and replaced my rear wheel for me.

Good luck!

aggieengineer

This is a perfect example of why your wife should get you a tire changer for Christmas! I've been using a No-Mar Pro Model for a couple of years now. It's a quality product and they are super people to deal with. The device will eventually pay for itself, and it really won't scratch your wheels. For example, I just replaced the tires on my wife's SUV. I saved $305 over Discount Tire by buying the tires from TireRack.com, mounting them myself, and having a local shop do the balancing. And when you have a flat, it sure is nice not to be tied to a repair shop's schedule. thumbsup.gif

Archived