IGNORED

1150rt vibration above 4500 and stinks!

alceee

I have a problem. You guys have been very helpful in the past. Actually brilliant. You recently helped me with a problem the dealer could not figure out. A fowled plug no less.

My problem now is my 04 1150rt is running rough in the higher rpm's. It runs very well, and accelerates great. But when It gets to about 4500 and up there is a vibration I feel should not be there. A lot of vibration.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem, but I have had a strange thing happen recently. After running the bike normally and stopping it placing it on the side stand for about 10 minutes, and then starting it. What happens is I hear a clunk, It starts right up smoke comes out of the pipe for a few seconds, and I smell a funny smell. If you remember years ago you would turn a car off and it would continue to run, denotation i believe it is called. But it made a smell simular to what I smell when the bike does this.

I know this might not have anything to do with anything but I am fishing.

Bottom line. High vibration on motor above 4500 rpm's, and every now and then a clunk, smoke and smell when starting the bike after it has been warmed up.

Do these symptoms ring any bell's for anyone?

daveinatlanta

Complicated set of symptoms. My first thought was do a TBS and Valve adjustment. That might help the vibration but it likely has nothing to do with the other symptoms.

So what would cause all of the symptoms? Something that is moving after then engine is started and something that vibrates only above a certain RPM, creates a smell and emits smoke in the exhaust when started. That rules out a lot of moving parts ... but how about the alternator belt. Have you checked or changed the alternator belt? It could cause the vibration, create the smell and perhaps the clunk. But not the smoke in the exhaust. confused.gif

I think the first thing I would do would be put a manometer, Twinmax or similar on it. I'd want to see if at 4500 or above it seems like both sides are pulling evenly or not. Maybe even go for a ride with the Twinmax hooked up. Then depending upon that result it might give some direction. The oil smoke and "clunk" thing bothers me, indication of a possible combustion chamber or valve issue.

You said the bike has foiled plugs before. This is unusual for a boxer and also some indication of a ring, valve seal or some similar issue letting oil into the combustion chamber. Have you pulled all four plugs again?

Despite you feeling it still accelerates, has the same power as before? I'd also want to do a compression test on it.

ShovelStrokeEd

I wouldn't worry over much about the clank/stink thing. That can happen sometimes with a warm start. It is, as you described, detonation and is caused by the first squirt of the injector going into a heat soaked port and allowing the fuel to vaporize. This results in the gaseous component of the fuel igniting rather than the finely divided stream of droplets that are the normal fuel supply. Result, detonation, as the flame propagation is too sudden.

As to the vibration at higher RPMs. Vibration is a subjective thing. What is smooth as glass to some is intolerable to others. Adjust valves, verify ignition components are up to snuff, and then, and only then, balance the throttle bodies. If the vibration is still bothersome you might want to look at having a pro go over the bike.

The design of the Boxer engine dictates that there will always be some vibration. The later models have a balance shaft to counteract the secondary vibration caused by the offset of the crank pins but your motor does not. Try running it past the 4500 RPM point up to 5500 or so and see if it doesn't smooth out. Seems most of the bikes I have owned/ridden have a zone around 4200-4800 RPM where the vibes are most prevalent. If this is true of yours, just select a different gear for your riding.

Is the vibration related to speed (4500 rpm in 5th gear?) or is it present when your are in neutral?

I have notice that on my rt1150 (63K ... very little oil used) that if I start a cold motor and let it idle for a minute or two, then shut it off ... and come back to restart it 15 or 20 minutes later (usually looking for my misplaced wallet dopeslap.gif ) ... that the bike belches a little blue smoke on restart.

Circulating the oil without warming the engine to operating temp, lets the oil from the cylinder walls pool on the lower spark plugs ... not a problem.

Funny, of the five common senses, smell seems the least valued; yet in Proust's Remembrance of Things Past, the story begins with Swann's memory trigered via smell (or was it taste, no matter).

I wonder if your smell (much like rotten eggs ?) is an indication of catalytic converter problems; if so, the cat problem could restrict exhaust flow which may cause irregular vibration at high rpms. At least, look for any external dents/damage in the cat, e.g., the chrome "box" under the transmission.

Wooster who values tactile sense most of all

My guess from far away. ooo.gif A bad stick coil. The twin sparkeys are known for this. Unplug the plugs one at a time and the engine should still run on the remaining 1 plug per cylinder. Be sure and "ground" the wire you remove.

Cheers

Steve

Sounds like you need to rev the engine above 4500 regularily to break it in and smooth it out! The boxer engine HATES being short shifted and bogged as it will foul plugs and over load the engine. It LOVES being revved out to keep things from fouling and carboning up. Mine just kept getting smoother and smoother, especially after I tuned it up myself to this boards specs and replaced the plugs with AutoLite 3923's (Primary only for your dual spark). I also learned to stop babying it and boy after another 18000 miles she sure runs sweet!!!! Run her up to 8000 RPM and see how she purrs... it vibrates like a big twin should!!!!

"run it up to 8000" No kidding. Ya'll folks who go poky around at low rpm are just loading the booger up. Hit the red line once in a while. That's why they put it there.

Now if my bike would just start...... lmao.gif

"run it up to 8000" No kidding. Ya'll folks who go poky around at low rpm are just loading the booger up. Hit the red line once in a while. That's why they put it there.

Now if my bike would just start...... lmao.gif

The redline is just a guide, get your speed up in high gear and drop it into first and try to get 16,000 rpms. That ought to cure it. If it won't start like yours, then tow it behind one that will.

Tipover Bob

Archived