IGNORED

Yamaha air-cooled triples

Missouri Bob

Yesterday, I had the chance to ride a 1979 Yamaha XS750. I thought it was pretty cool in an old-fashioned sort of way. It reminded me of old Brit bikes but without the aggravation. I might have to add one to the fleet.

Obviously, performance is nothing special. Suspension and brakes have come far in the past 28 years. BUT, what do others think of the 750/850 triples? Reliability issues?

Thanks.

Bob

Hey Bob,

I bought a XS750 Special in March of '79, owned it for about a year then sold it to buy a car. In the short time I had it I found it to be a trouble free bike that was easy to maintain and fun to ride. My only regret is not doing some due diligence and waiting for the 850 instead because 750 values tanked after the 850's introduction.

The triple is a very smooth running bike and has adequate power. Good luck finding a decent example though.

Dennis Andress

I put 70,000 something miles on a 1978 XS-750. Every other winter I took the engine out and replaced the rod bearings and a few transmission parts. Other than that, it was a lot of fun.....

Well, I have no experience other than a few rides on one, but my little brother bought one for a couple hundred bucks off eBay. He rode it around for a while, and then somehow killed one of the cylinders. Surprisingly, it still ran OK with just two (with horrible mileage). It now sits in the garage (where it's been for a year or two) waiting to be repaired.

Bought a 78 XS Special in 78 and rode it for 3 years before selling it. With the exception of the rings not seating properly, repaired under warranty, it was a fun and reliable ride. Sold it simply because I gave up riding on the street for about 12 years and kept to the trail and track on my off road bikes.

Much to be said about the advances smile.gif of braking and tires since 78!!

Had an '81 850. Other than a porous head casting when new--warranty--it served well for several years. Sold it under the mistaken notion I could/should do without a bike while my son was small (that worked out for about 3 months until spring arrived).

I bought a 1980 XS850 Special yesterday. It's in pretty good condition for its age: the result of being stored in a garage.

Back in the day, Yamaha sold a seat for the Specials that included an integral padded sissy bar. Mine has one of those; principally upholstered with electrician's tape. Fortunately, the owner still had the original seat.

I think that I'll replace the factory ape-hangers, too.

Bob

Archived