IGNORED

Leaving Forum

Darren

Guys its been a good 4 years with the R1100RT, and great being a member of this forum, but the old girl has gone to a new home. The cost of servicing at the local dealers has become too much of a drain on my finances. At over £80 an hour for labour, I was struggling to keep up a good service record.

I will still be dipping into the forum as I have found you all most helpful and entertaining. Here's to a new adventure on my new to me 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Keep the shiny side up and ride well

Darren cool.gifcool.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I have got the bike from a local dealer who only deals in used bikes, I have had 2 other bikes from them, my wife's GPZ 500S and an old FJ1200 Yamaha. He has been very good to me and they only charge about £30 an hour. The local Suzuki dealer is nearly as expensive as BMW, they have put up their prices to pay for their Super Bike race team here in the UK

Darren

Guys its been a good 4 years with the R1100RT, and great being a member of this forum, but the old girl has gone to a new home. The cost of servicing at the local dealers has become too much of a drain on my finances. At over £80 an hour for labour, I was struggling to keep up a good service record.

I will still be dipping into the forum as I have found you all most helpful and entertaining. Here's to a new adventure on my new to me 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Darren cool.gifcool.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

You don't have to leave........the best is yet to come!!!!!

Besides a lot of the Members and Mods no longer ride RT's.

This place is all about the love.

Whip

wave.gif

BTW,,,You need to post more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't have to leave........the best is yet to come!!!!!

Besides a lot of the Members and Mods no longer ride RT's.

This place is all about the love.

Whip

wave.gif

BTW,,,You need to post more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yEAH...What wHIPdON said..!! thumbsup.gif

Very interesting. I've had mine almost 3 years and I only paid 100 failing currency dollars for a timing belt installation. Filters and oil are just part of operation so they don't count and no I don't use BMW oil.

BMW is supposed to mean BIG MARVELELOUS MOTORCYCLE not BRING MY WALLET! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

The problem is that the UK bike market expects dealer service. If the bike does not have those stamps in the book then its value is seriously diminished, if you can sell it at all.

Andy

Don't go grin.gif, seriously though I prefer to see a bigger range of different bikes talked about, variety is the spice of life thumbsup.gif and we don't want to lose any Brits, even if you do live in Poole grin.gif Poole is the sole reason I have satellite navigation.

Steve

• 1 year later...
Paul Szilard - Australia

Question: How do you compare the DL1000 to the RT? Yes I know they are different, but I am thinking of selling my VStrom for an RT. Trouble is that my VStrom is so nice - it has Penske suspension, Powercommander/Dyno tuned, Staintune exhaust, etc. SO I still keep changing my mind every 10 minutes: should I or shouldn't I change?

Anyway, all you folks that want to see pics, take a look at my current baby:

DSC_2849.JPGDSC_2869.JPGDSC_2873.JPG

Darren, invest a few pounds in a Haynes service manual for the DL1000--you can do this stuff! Its really no big deal--just dive in.... :thumbsup:

Nicely set up Vstrom. I'd keep it if it were me! I still regret selling my Wee-Strom.... :cry:

I looked a a Wee Strom before buying the 1100 RT - the Strom has a great reliability record , and is cheap to maintain . Like many modern bikes though , they do suffer from build quality issues [ corrosion etc ] .

Each to their own .

Steve

I looked a a Wee Strom before buying the 1100 RT..... Like many modern bikes though , they do suffer from build quality issues [ corrosion etc ] .

Steve

And of course Bimmers don't have any of those problems. :eek:

I thought the build quality on my 650 Strom was as good as it gets in the Asian bikes. Everything worked, all the time. Nice welds. No recalls. No corrosion. Rigid frame. Flawless fuel injecton. Even the OEM shocks were good! Very high bang-for-the-buck quotient.

I just replaced my fully farkled 05 DL1000 for an 07 R1200 RT. While I find that the VStrom did have the MOST comfortable seat and riding position, I think that is all I miss. The motor was a bit of a dog (although they can be woke up with a PC) and it was a bugger in crosswinds and behind trucks. Weather protection was nowhere near the Beemer, although it was not bad with an MRA Vario windscreen. I liked my Strom and put many many miles on it. Mostly 2-up. But, I never did LOVE my Strom. I gotta say, I LOVE this RT!

579646433_GBFL9-M.jpg

My RT is up for a 6K tune and tires, and the members here have convinced me to learn how to do these services myself. I've purchased the JVB video, a Haynes manual, a Twin Max, and a Mark Parnes balancer. A HF tire changer setup, a Mojo Lever, and some extra feeler guages should just about have me all set to save from here on out. I'm expecting this decision to be real good and very cost effective.

I have had 2 wee stroms and a DL1k.

I have owned 2 1100RTs

I have a harley softail deluxe

The wee strom is a lightweight motor. You can call it a dog, but odds on you are not making use of the power available to the bike. With some simple mods and a willingness to use the motor, the wee will do more than most of us are capable of.

If you think there are build quality issues, it must be w/the euro models because the 3 of mine were bulletproof.

I would tend to agree with Boone that owning a BMW and not doing simple maintenance is a waste of bad money after good unless you really have no clue how to hold screwdriver. It's not difficult, and can be learned quite easily if one is willing to invest the time.

Just as a matter of interest what does the Suzy dealer charge per hour (I know it doesn't need as much servicing)

Here, BMW $84, Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda et al. is $130.

Archived