IGNORED

Teaching a child to ride

KCScott

I bought my eleven year old son a Honda CRF 100F for Christmas. He has been wanting to learn to ride for a couple of years. He is a great pillion and loves bikes. Is there a MSF class for kids on dirt? Should I teach him? What are the options?

Enroll BOTH of you in the MSF dirt rider school.

I taught my 8 year old step daughter after we all took the MSF course.

I AM NOT KIDDING . . .

After the class and when she had her DRZ-110 this was the first lesson she got and it made ALL the difference in teh world!!!!!

While Mom got her dressed, I got her bike ready. She walked around the corner with Mom at the OHV and the first thing she saw was her bike, on its side, in the dirt!!! She freaked!!!!

I explained that this IS going to happen and it is OK. After that she saw me pick up the bike and drop it over on to the other side. Freaked again!!! Told her that that would also happen!!!

She wasn't intimidated by falling as she learned after that!!

You are opening up a HUGE world for him. Have fun!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I started on a Honda Trail 70 at about age 10. My Dad showed me how the brakes and shifter worked, then handed me a helmet and told me not to hurt myself because then my Mom would make us get rid of the bike. It worked for me grin.gif. Then again.....a CRF100 is a LOT faster than my old Trail 70 so that might not be the best advise.

Honestly, I would call your local dealerships and see if they have any programs for younger riders. I'm sure one of them could point you in a good direction.

Enroll BOTH of you in the MSF dirt rider school.

I taught my 8 year old step daughter after we all took the MSF course.

I AM NOT KIDDING . . .

After the class and when she had her DRZ-110 this was the first lesson she got and it made ALL the difference in teh world!!!!!

While Mom got her dressed, I got her bike ready. She walked around the corner with Mom at the OHV and the first thing she saw was her bike, on its side, in the dirt!!! She freaked!!!!

I explained that this IS going to happen and it is OK. After that she saw me pick up the bike and drop it over on to the other side. Freaked again!!! Told her that that would also happen!!!

She wasn't intimidated by falling as she learned after that!!

You are opening up a HUGE world for him. Have fun!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Help! I'm not able to locate an MSF off road course. How did you find it?

M

I started on a Honda Trail 70 at about age 10. My Dad showed me how the brakes and shifter worked, then handed me a helmet and told me not to hurt myself because then my Mom would make us get rid of the bike. It worked for me grin.gif.

I suspect many of us learned that way! Trail 70 (I think I was 9) and a threat of death from my older brother if I broke any part of it or me. Mom would kill him, then he'd kill me, plain and simple. Worked for me too. grin.gif

Thanks for the great advice. There is an MSF course in my area and I'll call tomorrow. He is going to flip when he comes down the stairs on Christmas and sees the bike sitting by the tree. I can't wait to see his face!

Thanks for the great advice. There is an MSF course in my area and I'll call tomorrow. He is going to flip when he comes down the stairs on Christmas and sees the bike sitting by the tree. I can't wait to see his face!

Nor can we so make sure you get a picture and post it!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

A CRF100 is plenty fast to get hurt on. I started my kids at ~7-8 yrs old. Began with a powered scooter to learn twist grip throttle, and the difference between front and rear brakes. I found that a confined obstacle free riding area helped keep speeds down. After just and hour or so I introduced them to a 110cc automatic 4 speed dirtbike. It had a throttle stop which I set to eliminate the ability to wheelie. I also stuck it in second gear to limit the throttle response. After another hour or so I removed the throttle stop. By the end of the day they were shifting gears, and learning how to ride over obstacles. The biggest issue being at that height, they couldn't really reach the ground to stop blush.gif Dad had to 'catch them'

In the couse of the first summer, I think there were 3-4 crashes, nothing that damaged more than pride.

All the kids can touch the ground now clap.gif

Helmet, goggles, good boots and gloves are a must.

Archived