IGNORED

What color is blue is this?

bowcop

Hi guys,

I want to paint the luggage lids to match the bike....I think that the color code is under the seat somewhere...

What do you suppose is the best way to do this...rattle can or air gun? Any idea how much paint it would take? And what kind of paint should I use.

Thanks all!

Tim

956612-fb8b.jpg.02c816df61744a37dced7cb29351a8c8.jpg

my paint code is 704 which says Graphite Mettalic on the Beemer chart....does this mean my whole bike was repainted? I have never seen any "graphite" color anywhere on it....and I have had all the tupperware off.

Either your bike was repainted or the tupperware was replaced. From this picture I think the nose, belly pan and fender are Sinus Blue, but I have no idea what color is on the side panels. If they're the original color they might be Neon Blue, which was an RT color overseas but I don't remember that it made it here. If they're repainted, they could be anything.

If you really want to match a specific color, a well-equipped auto paint shop will have a scanner that analyzes the existing color and tells them how to mix paint to match. If you want a decent paint job, unless you're an expert I'd advise taking it to a shop. Many paint shops will do small motorcycle parts fairly cheap, especially if you do all the prep work yourself. Luggage lids should be pretty cheap - I know someone here who got them done by an auto paint shop and I want to say $50, but I don't remember if that was each or the pair.

I can tell you that rattle-can paint does not come out well on the RT plastic.

In the BMW lit from 1996 and 1997 they called that Sine Blue Metallic, paint code was 701. In the 1998 lit it was referred to as Sinus Blue Metallic and listed as Sinus Blue in 1999 with Opal Blue Metallic listed as an option that year also. The bright blue came after 99.

I presume you've found this website that has almost everything you'd want to know about BMW motorcycle paint.

BTW, there is a Dupli-Color spray paint that's close to Sine(us) Blue (closer than the bright blue panels on your bike pictures). It's a Ford color, but I don't know the paint code offhand.

I presume you've found this website that has almost everything you'd want to know about BMW motorcycle paint.

BTW, there is a Dupli-Color spray paint that's close to Sine(us) Blue (closer than the bright blue panels on your bike pictures). It's a Ford color, but I don't know the paint code offhand.

No! But thank you for the link! After careful research on the bike....I think the original owner traded body panels for the Neon Blue color. I really like the look! I just wanted to give it a little more pizaz by painting the lids the same color.

Thanks again guys!

Archived