IGNORED

OOHH CRAP!

waylap

I had my first real oh crap moment today on the RT. I've had my share on the work bike from bad drivers or chasing someone but this was on my beloved RT and entirely my fault.

I was making a slow left hand turn / lean from a small residential street into a fire dept parking lot to park and attend a local "taste of the town event". I have a delphi satalite radio mounted on the cockpit and a bosstaroo hanging from it by the cord and inside the fairing opening where the forks are. Since I don't have a tank bag, this has just been a convenient place to have it while connected to the N-com helmet. Well just as I start this left turn, the bustaroo STOPS the forks from turning all the way left and I start to go over to the left. PANIC hits me as the bike is going about 20 and going over fast. Luckily the motor officer training kicked in and I quickly let the clutch out all the way and hit the throtle. The bike righted itself quickly but left me thankful that I wasn't turning left in front of oncomming traffic on a busy highway! Well sorry for the long story for such a seemingly minor incident but I just want everyone to know not to take it for granted that a little bustaroo or anything else should hang down in that fairing area. It may never get in the way until just before your funeral.

I was making a slow left hand turn / lean from a small residential street into a fire dept parking lot to park

First off, I'm genuinely glad that everything turned out well. Definitely good advice top keep the fork turning arc clear.

Now, on a better note, THAT WILL TEACH YOU TO TRY AND COME TO A FIRE DEPARTMENT EVENT TO EAT THE FOOD!!!!! Bad Cop, No Donut!!!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Now, on a better note, THAT WILL TEACH YOU TO TRY AND COME TO A FIRE DEPARTMENT EVENT TO EAT THE FOOD!!!!! Bad Cop, No Donut!!!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Hey, free food is about the only thing you guys are good for... grin.gifgrin.gif

Hey, free food is about the only thing you guys are good for... grin.gifgrin.gif

Ya, that's not what you say when you need the scary big ladder. (And I'm happy you and your RT are OK, WHEW!!)

Ya, that's not what you say when you need the scary big ladder. (And I'm happy you and your RT are OK, WHEW!!)

You're right. Then again, it is what I say when you guys hose all my evidence down the street... tongue.gif Or stomp through our crime scene with your oversized boots... smile.gif

Come to think of it, free food is the only thing you guys are good for! grin.gifgrin.gif

Come to think of it, free food is the only thing you guys are good for! grin.gifgrin.gif

Perhaps you are forgetting our excellent entertainment value. And the best chili ever eaten by a human being.

(And I'm still happy Brother Waylap remains undamaged)

Perhaps you are forgetting our excellent entertainment value. And the best chili ever eaten by a human being.

(And I'm still happy Brother Waylap remains undamaged)

I stand corrected, the entertainment value is world class and the chili is in fact just that good. smile.gif

You're right. Then again, it is what I say when you guys hose all my evidence down the street... tongue.gif Or stomp through our crime scene with your oversized boots... smile.gif

Sir,

May I point out that our boots are not oversized. We have large feet...and everyone knows what that implies! grin.gif

Glad you ride didn't take a dive. thumbsup.gif

Francois_Dumas

If it's any measure, the combined fire brigade/police department entertainment value of this thread is pretty high already lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Glad you managed to save the tupperware and yourself from more serious embarrassment ! thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Glad you worked it out.

I had a similar incident right after I got the KTM. I had just mounted the GPS, & this would be my first ride with it. As I started out of the driveway, I had the forks full lock left. As I started to straighten them, they wouldn't! eek.gif I was instantly off balance, & just as I thought I was going down, I had muscled the bars hard enough, & they suddenly snapped around to the right, saving be from crashing in my own driveway. I stopped to see what the hell happened. Turned out, one of the Ram mount bolts had hooked a D-ring on the tank bag.

I now have the bagged zipped on the other side. tongue.gif

The Evidence Destruction Team thanks you for your kind attention. lmao.gif

I've had more than one officer come watch football with us while he was 10-7A. Or "patrolling" the state highways.

Archived