IGNORED

How long did your pilot roads?

brianbmw

I'm about ready for new tires, i have 9K miles on my 1200 ST. I kinda want to try the pilot roads, not the new dual compound ones just the originals. The thing is the Z6 tires that are on there now lasted so long, i'm not sure it's worth trying something new. What do you think?

Brian, you can expect to get the same mileage out of the Pilot Roads as you did with the Z6s. I just got 8000 miles out mine & they could have gone maybe 2000 more. I had my wheels powdercoated & did not want to put the old rubber back on. I have the Pilot Road 2s on order so, we'll see how they compare. Short answer, I really liked the Pilot Roads.

Pat

my bike came with z4's, and i was delighted they lasted as long as they did, i replaced them with tread left on them at nearly 10,000 miles. and i got the pilot roads, the original model roads i mean. so far, they seem to be wearing well. my first ride on them was very different than my last ride on the metzelers. i felt very connected and stable, and though i have forgotten now how the metz felt i know i still feel connected today with the michelins. i just hope they hold up as well as the metzelers. or close to it.

Brian, Massachusettss here too. Had Pilot Roads on my 05 RT, changed them at 11,300 to Conti Road Attacks. I found the Road front tire to be offensively loud. Love the Attacks big time. May try Road 2's next time around, but only if I can determine that the fronts are less noisey then the originals. Any comments Road 2 owners?

Fran

I got 11750km (7350miles) out of Pilot Roads on my R1200RT. 12000km (7500miles) out of Z6's.

I have just has Piolt Road 2's fitted. They feel great good grip - wet and dry - and good turn in. Also, they are a lot quieter than the Pilot Road's.

My Road Pilots are being replaced after 10,000 on the rear and 12,000 on the front. Putting the new Road Pilot 2 on the rear and I'm going to try the Road Power up front.

Typically my front tire lasts longer than the rear, so with the Road Power up front, I'm expecting both tires to need replacement at the same time... plus I'll have the advantage of a better holding front tire.

I have been quite pleased with the original Road Pilots. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new set feels out on the road. wave.gif

I really like the Pilot Roads. Here are the milages from the last 4 sets on an 05 RT:

F: 9500, 8400, 10150, 8950

R: 8700, 7650, 9650, 8040

The stock set got the most miles. I can't remember exactly because I wasn't logging it then, but I am sure both were over 11000 miles with little to spare. Good tires IMO.

4600 on my rear. It is now gone. I am a big guy, about 270 and just got back from a 1600mi. ride loaded,42psi, that wore it out. Alot of fun but not good for tires?

My ST came with Pilot Roads. I got 9800 miles out of them. They could have gone for maybe 1k more, but they were pretty squared off from slabbing it and I had a longer trip coming up.

My ST came with Pilot Roads originally. 10K and they were toast. The tires handled well but were noisy from day one.

I switched to Conti Road Attacks. I like these much better. Handling and grip is improved. I have 8K on these and by the looks of it, I can probably go another 8K.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV
Brian, Massachusettss here too. Had Pilot Roads on my 05 RT, changed them at 11,300 to Conti Road Attacks. I found the Road front tire to be offensively loud. Love the Attacks big time. May try Road 2's next time around, but only if I can determine that the fronts are less noisey then the originals. Any comments Road 2 owners?

Fran

I really liked the ride and feel of the Conti Road Attaks. I don't ride hard and usually get 10-11,000 from a set. The rear road attack was down to the steel belt in 7,880! Now I've switched to Pilot Road 2--see how that will do for me.

I got 9400 miles out of my first set of Pilot Roads, but then I got only 6400 on the second set. I'm on the Bridgestone Battlax 021's right now and I'll post their mileage when I'm through with them.

Stephen

I put pilot road 2's on my ST, you can see my review here: Pilot Road 2's on R1200ST - REVIEW

I did not notice any abnormal road noise but the stock tires were louder than the road 2's by the time I took them off. I will try and see if I notice next time I ride, but I have to admit tire noise is pretty far down on the lsit of things I notice.

JT

I put pilot road 2's on my ST, you can see my review here: Pilot Road 2's on R1200ST - REVIEW

I did not notice any abnormal road noise but the stock tires were louder than the road 2's by the time I took them off. I will try and see if I notice next time I ride, but I have to admit tire noise is pretty far down on the lsit of things I notice.

JT

The noise from my front Pilot was hard not to ignore, certainly not something you have to listen for, it's an in your face noise, almost like my wheel bearings are on their way out kind of noise. Other then that they were great.

Fran

I am on my third set of Pilot Roads. Changed the first set at 7500, didn't really need it but was going on a trip and didn't know how long they would last. Second set petered out at 8500, and the back had cord showing. Not sure about anyone else on an ST, but mine starts telling me it wants new tires at about 6000. Feels like the front end wants to push and not turn. But being the cheap-skate I am, I leave them on as long as I can. I absolutely love the Pilot Roads and would be hard pressed to go with any other tire. They are absolutely the best tire in the rain I have ever riden.

Yesterday, after 12K, we replaced the original Road Pilots

Rear with Road Pilot 2

Front with Road Power

Went up into the twisties today...

And am I ever happy clap.gif

They stick like glue,

Solid, stay on line... sweet thumbsup.gif

On the way home I tested the front tire for noise,

Going down the road and leaning back and forth seemed silent.

To further validate my findings,

after getting off the freeway, I stopped and raised the chin piece on my helmet, proceeded down the steet,

After getting up to speed, I pulled in the clutch and coasted while going agressively from side to side down the road...

What a shock!!! It was still silent clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

They get our vote wave.gif

Yesterday, after 12K, we replaced the original Road Pilots

Rear with Road Pilot 2

Front with Road Power

Went up into the twisties today...

And am I ever happy clap.gif

They stick like glue,

Solid, stay on line... sweet thumbsup.gif

On the way home I tested the front tire for noise,

Going down the road and leaning back and forth seemed silent.

To further validate my findings,

after getting off the freeway, I stopped and raised the chin piece on my helmet, proceeded down the steet,

After getting up to speed, I pulled in the clutch and coasted while going agressively from side to side down the road...

What a shock!!! It was still silent clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

They get our vote wave.gif

Bob, whats the advantage of using Pilot Powers on the front as opposed to the Pilot Road (or Pilot Road 2) on the front? I just replaced my rear Z6 with a Pilot Road (not the 2) and am wondering what to do with the front...?

In responce to BobbyBob's question regarding why I chose the Pilot Power tire for the front.

Mostly curiosity. lurker.gif

I've always had my front tire last longer than the rear.

So... It seems reasonable to try the Pilot Power, which has more grip than the Pilot Road 2. It also has a higher wear rate.

My logic is that I will have an absolutely great front tire

that will last approximately the same number of miles as the rear.

If it doesn't work for the milage equality,

I'll still have a front end that will never break loose.

If it does work out for the mileage equality,

then it's a win - win situation.

I can live with that either way thumbsup.gif

I just picked up an RT that has pilot roads on it and noticed the front tire being pretty loud as well. I also have pilot roads on my VStrom, which are very quiet. Why would one be quiet and the other be noisy? Is it the weight of the bike or perhaps the size difference?

I just picked up an RT that has pilot roads on it and noticed the front tire being pretty loud as well. I also have pilot roads on my VStrom, which are very quiet. Why would one be quiet and the other be noisy? Is it the weight of the bike or perhaps the size difference?

I suspect it could be suspension related, BMW vs a more conventional setup. Thinking the BMW creates some kind of harmonic resonance that is transmitted in a way that it is more audible. Something like that I think!

Fran

Archived