IGNORED

Need help with Utah part of 2008 road trip

Keith S

Planning my trips for the next summer gets me through our Canadian winters. The first half of the trip will start in Calgary and end in Las Vegas. Part of the trip will be through Utah. I had no idea of all the fantastic motorcycle roads that there are in Utah and the things to see are amazing. I realize that it would be impossible to see everything in just one sweep starting at the northeast and traveling down to the southwest. Here is my rough plan so far. Rather then just typing in all the roads and destinations I figured it would be easier if I posted the map. I have tried to make the map as big as possible so details show but this is the best I can do. All suggestions would be appreciated. I tried to attach the Microsoft Streets and Trips file but it won’t let me. If it makes it easier to have the file then PM me and I will send it.

utah2008yx8.jpg

Thanks

Keith

Kye, you have a great route through Utah. Long but good.

The section from Grand Junction down to where you turn West for LaSalle junction is very interesting for sure, but not a show stopper if you eliminate it.

You could leave Grand Junction, CO and go west on I70 to the highway for Moab... then south to Moab and the Arches N.P. This will save you enough time to do the park, and more, in and around Moab. Arches is great- a must do, but the state park for Dead Horse Point is outstanding. As good as the Grand Canyon IMHO.

When were you planning to do this? (What months?) Some of this is difficult and dodgy up till April/early May. You may not have noticed the altitude on some of this...

Your UT section looks great to me! Are you coming down into Grand Junction via Flaming Gorge/Manilla, then Douglas Pass into GJ. You'll love that.

Bob is right, you have a lot of elevation extremes in there. Depending when you go, you'll need to be prepared for everything from cold, to thunderstorms, to severe heat. But it will be a truly great ride!

thumbsup.gif

I'd agree with the others in that it looks like you've got some pretty nice roads picked out. The comments about elevation and time of the year are spot on. The variation in temperatures is truly remarkable...any time of the year.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

If you hold off until late June or early July, post Vegas you can come to the UnRally in John Day, Oregon! smile.gif

Follow THIS LINK for all of the details!

Regardless of where you go, it's all beautiful country. Don't forget that we have twice yearly gatherings in Torrey, Utah and someone can probably give you some recommendations.

Have fun and post a ride tale when you finally get back! thumbsup.gif

Do yourself a favor. Go west on I-70 till you hit 128 which runs along the colorado river till you hit 191 just south of arches. Much more scenic than your original route.

I mostly concur with the previous posts. I think CO 141 is a fantastic road, with beautiful red rock canyons. If you're not limited on time, I'd keep that in your route, head across 90 and 46 and up to Moab. On the northern edge of Moab, take UT 128 northeast until you get a few miles past the old Dewey Bridge, then turn around and ride back to Moab; both directions are worth the ride and scenery, and it doesn't take all that much time (UT 128 is the same route Marty suggested if you simply decide to head west on I-70 from Grand Junction). If you can, give yourself a full day to hang around Moab so you can ride through Aches National Park, Canyonlands N.P., and Dead Horse Point State Park. All of them are fantastic! Not to be missed.

On your map, it looks like you're heading south to Mexican Hat, and I'm guessing you'll continue to Monument Valley and then return to go up 261 to 95. Just to alert you, 261 has about 2.5 miles of a dirt/gravel section called Mokee Dugway. Don't let the dirt scare you off. It's well graded, and paved in many of the corners. I've never known anyone to have trouble on it. Just a little bumpy. There are spectacular views, and be sure to stop at the view area near the top.

One other thing I noticed; you're not doing very much in Colorado. If you have the time, here's some suggestions. After Grand Junction, take US 50 to Montrose, and then US 550 south to Durango. The stretch of road from Ouray to north of Durango is the Million Dollar Highway, and has some of the prettiest scenery you'll see in that area. At Durango, head west on US 160 to Mancos, then on 184 to near Dolores where you'll get on 145 toward Telluride, continuing on past Placerville, and up to Naturita, just past Naturita you'll get on CO 90 west to UT 46 to 191 to Moab. This would be a spectacular loop, taking in the best scenery on the far western range. It will add another day onto your ride, but if you can do it, it will be worth it. After you get to Utah, do all the other stuff (including 128), and then continue on.

It's good to have several alternative routes in your bag. If the weather is turning really crappy in western Colorado, especially in the mountains, it might be better to skip the Million Dollar Hwy loop and consider just going to 141 and Moab instead. Keep in mind that in the summer, it's common to have afternoon showers (including thunder - and lightning - showers) anywhere in the Rockies, so plan accordingly. They usually don't last too long, but may slow you down for awhile. Those aren't the problem. It's when a front comes through that may bring continual rain for several days that it could get nasty, especially at 11,000 feet. That's not too common, but it does happen. Just keep checking weather forecasts and you should be fine.

First off let me say thanks to all these fantastic replies. You folks ROCK!!

The leg south from GJ to LaSalle was put in as an option. If the weather is bad or we need a rest then we will head west on I 70 to Moab.

Your UT section looks great to me! Are you coming down into Grand Junction via Flaming Gorge/Manilla, then Douglas Pass into GJ. You'll love that.

Here is the route from Yellowstone to GJ. I am not sure where Douglas Pass is.

yellowstonetojgal3.jpg

The question of when is a very good one. Living in Calgary you learn very quickly that you have to go through mountain passes to go anywhere of distance. Except east….that is a different story. I like open spaces but I don’t like watching my dog run away for 3 days. Elevation and moisture can be a lethal mix for motorcycles. As with the trip north this summer picking the departure date is tricky. For this trip, leave too early (May) and you roll the dice. Leave in late June and you better bring a trailer to carry extra water. I believe in ATGATT. The tentative departure date is June 1st 2008.

I usually travel solo but this year a buddy from work wants to go. I have traveled with him before (rides an HD) and he likes to travel up front. I find this useful since he scares off every living thing for 3 miles in front of us. This brings up gear (weather changes), with multi layered riding gear and electric vest I will be good. My buddy is the black animal skin kinda guy and those chaps don’t do much in a downpour. He is x military and on one ride during the rain when he finally stopped he poured the water out of his riding boots. Tough dude!

If you hold off until late June or early July, post Vegas you can come to the UnRally in John Day, Oregon! smile.gif

Follow THIS LINK for all of the details!

Regardless of where you go, it's all beautiful country. Don't forget that we have twice yearly gatherings in Torrey, Utah and someone can probably give you some recommendations.

I noticed the UnRally posts and if the dates work it looks possible. I appreciate the invite! It would be great to put faces and voices to the people here.

On your map, it looks like you're heading south to Mexican Hat, and I'm guessing you'll continue to Monument Valley and then return to go up 261 to 95. Just to alert you, 261 has about 2.5 miles of a dirt/gravel section called Mokee Dugway. Don't let the dirt scare you off. It's well graded, and paved in many of the corners. I've never known anyone to have trouble on it. Just a little bumpy. There are spectacular views, and be sure to stop at the view area near the top.

Thanks for the info here, really appreciate it! My buddy’s HD is one of the ones with a very narrow front tire. He will also will appreciate the heads up!

One other thing I noticed; you're not doing very much in Colorado. If you have the time, here's some suggestions. After Grand Junction, take US 50 to Montrose, and then US 550 south to Durango. The stretch of road from Ouray to north of Durango is the Million Dollar Highway, and has some of the prettiest scenery you'll see in that area. At Durango, head west on US 160 to Mancos, then on 184 to near Dolores where you'll get on 145 toward Telluride, continuing on past Placerville, and up to Naturita, just past Naturita you'll get on CO 90 west to UT 46 to 191 to Moab. This would be a spectacular loop, taking in the best scenery on the far western range. It will add another day onto your ride, but if you can do it, it will be worth it. After you get to Utah, do all the other stuff (including 128), and then continue on.

Leaving out Colorado was intentional. I’m leaving this for another tip, Colorado/Arizona/New Mexico. The route you mention sounds great!! Can’t wait.

Thanks again!!

Keith

Your buddy shouldn't have a problem on Mokee Dugway. I've seen more Harleys on that road than anything else.

If it's a choice between taking 141 out of Grand Junction and being pressed for time, or heading west on I-70 to UT 128 and having time to spend a day just cruising around the Moab area, it's a no brainer for me - go to Moab. You're going to be on a lot of great roads during this trip, but you'll be hard pressed to find places like Arches, Canyonlands, and Dead Horse Point. I suggest planning a full day in Moab, with a nice leisurely ride through the three parks. It's not fast or challenging riding, although the roads are fun. It's the scenery in those three that will leave you speechless. I can't wait to go back, and I was just there in October. The early part of June is good, as it gets very hot there during the summer.

Everything else that you have planned is Utah is the way that I would do it.

You've got it, it's the section from Rangely to GJ. It's not the world's most spectacular pass, but I enjoy riding it. It's oil shale country. If you take the road from the top of the pass to the repeater tower, you can collect fossil leaves from the shale. It's dirt, but last time I was on it it was ok.

I would change your route past Flaming Gorge to go down the west side of the lake through Manilla and into Vernal, UT.

As to the idea of more time in Moab area and the three parks, and cutting off the leg through Paradise and Bedrock: The parks and Moab are certainly spectacular. However your original route is also intriguing with some beautiful roads, the historic uranium mining country, some interesting museums, and some real isolation. I'd say both have their charms and you can't go wrong either way.

I second the route below Grand Junction of 141 to the 90 and on up to Moab. Ride out to Island in the Sky, Upper Canyonlands, right across the street from Arches. Try to ride Arches right at sun up; way fewer tourists and better lighting. There is a small scenic drive south from the visitor center in Capitol Reef that runs right along the western side of the Waterpocket Fold. It may take you forty five minutes (or longer depending on your photo stops) It's not a fast challenging ride but very worth the effort. There is a picnic area at the end of the pavement. If you are not careful you can easily spend your entire trip simply riding through Utah!

You've got it, it's the section from Rangely to GJ. It's not the world's most spectacular pass, but I enjoy riding it. It's oil shale country. If you take the road from the top of the pass to the repeater tower, you can collect fossil leaves from the shale. It's dirt, but last time I was on it it was ok.

I would change your route past Flaming Gorge to go down the west side of the lake through Manilla and into Vernal, UT.

As to the idea of more time in Moab area and the three parks, and cutting off the leg through Paradise and Bedrock: The parks and Moab are certainly spectacular. However your original route is also intriguing with some beautiful roads, the historic uranium mining country, some interesting museums, and some real isolation. I'd say both have their charms and you can't go wrong either way.

Fossil leaves in the shale…now you got my attention. Love local knowledge!!!

Just 3 hours west of Calgary is “Burgess shale”, this is a government-protected area. Fossils are of fish I believe.

Bloody hell, I didn’t notice that road west of the lake (Flaming Gorge).

Thanks!!!

Keith

Fossil leaves in the shale…now you got my attention.

I recommend the book Colorado Rockhounding by Stephen M. Voynick. There are a number of sites along your route, and just off of it, however of those we've made it to, Douglas Pass is the best. Have not done it on a bike, but as I say, I'm pretty sure you can get back in there on any road bike. I would bring a small rock hammer to break up the shale into layers. Last time I was there, they had fenced in the repeater tower, limiting access to the site, but there was still plenty of exposed grade to make for collecting.

At the top of the pass, begin at the highway maintenence shed and proceed 5.5 miles along the graded dirt road to Radar dome. You want to look "in the high road cut immediately below the radar station". Voynick describes the site as "leaves and insects".

223431985-O.jpg

Twisties

Thanks for the info. The photo of the split open shale is unreal. I'll check out that book, it looks interesting. Only 5.5 miles of gravel you say..hmmmmmmm frown.gif I ain't no hero when it comes to the RT on gravel. But we will give it a shot.

Thanks!

Keith

Looks like a great route. I rode that route this past summer. I would modify your trip to include the Flaming Gorge in southern Wyoming. Take 530 out of Green River and then get on 191 after the Gorge. I concur on taking 128 off of I-70 to ride next to Colorado river. Get your camera ready. Weather can be anything so be prepared.

Archived