IGNORED

Pre-Run for Death Valley Daze/MLK 2008!

KMG_365

Your hard-working Pre-Run riders sacrificed a LOT to research the area for next January's Martin Luther King Weekend Ride this January 18-21, 2008!!

222575777-XL.jpg

L-R (rear) Todd "graydude", Joe "Coarsegoldkid", Rodney (friend of Don's travelling from Anacortes, WA), Carl "C_Williams", "Bill_Walker", Todd "texasaggie97", Jamie "KMG_365", Al "ArizonaAl", Rodger "Signman", (front) "MarkEngland", Mark "Heck", Don "mrduck" (not shown, asleep on the floor or just left early) John "johnlt"

HUGE thanks again to all the Pre-Run Riders! It was a rough job, but someone had to do it!! thumbsup.gif

It looks like we might have found an excellent solution to the group's needs for next year. Stay tuned in Ride Planning for final details for January's ride as we get them worked out. See you then!! clap.gif

I'd appreciate a warning before I open a post like this!

I thought I was going to see some beautiful scenery.

grin.gif

Looking forward to a full report.

Thanks for the heads up on the dates so I can plan for the days off of work now. Does this mean it's now a 4 day event?

Weatherwise this is a perfect weekend for you guys there.

I'd appreciate a warning before I open a post like this!

I thought I was going to see some beautiful scenery.

grin.gif

Wow, throwing rocks with an avatar like that?? eek.giflmao.gif

Yeah, unfortunately our official photographers: "azkaisr" and "Killer" bailed out on the Pre-Run so you had to make do with those of us who like to ride more than snap pretty piccies. I'm hoping a few of the others took some pics and will post them. I know Todd (the Aggie, not the Gray one wink.gif ) and Heck both took a few pics and I hope they have some good ones to post. The above was taken with MarkEngland's camera but I think he dropped it a few too many times and it appeared to be having focus problems. grin.gif

There have been many write-ups posted previously that you can find with a search. Here's one of mine! (clicky) See you in January! thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the heads up on the dates so I can plan for the days off of work now. Does this mean it's now a 4 day event?
The MLK weekend has always been a four day event (optionally) which was one of the reasons to keep it on that weekend. We usually leave Friday morning and arrive by dinner time, stay Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights and head home on Monday morning after breakfast, so technically four days and three nights.

Weatherwise this is a perfect weekend for you guys there.
Yeah, the weather was absolutely perfect! I did the "snow loop" with Bill and Carl (but there was no snow of course) and that 25 miles of 168 right out of Big Pine was SO freakin' fun, we got to the edge of the next basin, swapped bikes, turned around and rode it backwards (Bill had to gas up the V-Strom again in Big Pine), then rode it forwards again and finished the loop! cool.gif

13 riders enjoying AWESOME riding on some awesome roads! No mishaps (other than Heck's rear fender) and no Performance Awards! thumbsup.gif

I just hope my rear tire gets me home! eek.gif

Ooops, gotta jump in the shower. We're leaving for breakfast in Shoshone in less than an hour with Bill, Graydude and Rodger and then taking the back way home through Joshua Tree. grin.gif

I predict this January's ride is going to be one of the best EVER!! clap.gif

Back in from DV at 3:30.....Happy to report- No performance awards, Fender still on back of bike. Pics to follow..

Great Fun....Great weather....Great beer..oops blush.gif... lurker.giflurker.gif

Returned home from DV at 2:00pm. I can also say that I did not get any performance awards and nothing fell of my bike either.

Heck, I kept thinking what bolt did I rattle loose as I we flew home this after noon.

Pictures to follow soon.

CoarsegoldKid
we got to the edge of the next basin, swapped bikes, turned around and rode it backwards cool.gif

backwards trick riding

I have photos of some landscape in and around DV. If I can figure out the method I'll get'em up.

We killed lots of bugs. And beer flowed Saturday nite.

The 35 mph limit will blow your mind, did ours at more that 3x the limit.

thumbsup.gif

Arrived home safe and sound, no performance awards here either.

Bill, no time for a shower, to much fun riding “backwards”, drinking beer, and socializing

Ready to repeat again this January

clap.gif

In at about 18:00 hours after taking the back way home and leaving my wingman stranded in the middle of the desert with a dead rear tire! blush.gif

Actually we got to the north gate at Joshua Tree N.P. and I was following Bill up to the Kiosk to show our passes when I thought I caught a flash of something on his rear tire. We'd been keeping an eye on it but forgot to check it at the gas stop in 29 Palms. I radioed him to roll back a bit as I pulled up behind and I saw the shiny metal wear bars (aka the "Patience" bars! lmao.gif ) on his rear Tourance tire! frown.gif

So we whipped out my trusty Treo (and BMW Anonymous book) called around to find a tire, but the closest open shop we could find who had one in stock was at Malcolm Smith's in Riverside. dopeslap.gif

Here's yet another plug for the KOA roadside assistance plan (with unlimited mileage towing). He had a AAA plan and thought he had a 100 mile towing range. It turns out it's only 60 miles and the extra 35 miles will cost him three years of the KOA plan coverage. bncry.gif

But I'm glad we caught it before it blew out on him leaned over in a corner in J-Tree! eek.gif

I just talked to him and he's stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic (big accident on the I-15) in a tow truck in Riverside and though Malcolm Smith's is open until 19:00, it's doubtful that he'll get there, unload the bike, and remove the rear wheel in time for them to do much until tomorrow. So, we'll look for his check-in then! thumbsup.gif

What a fun weekend! I'm exhausted! I got to rest a bit today riding with Rodger and Graydude on their hippos cruising along at near the posted limit and then having to baby Bill's and my rear tires to get home, but the rest of the roads just called out for hooning!! I can't wait until January!! clap.gif

As good as the run up Panamint Grade to Lone Pine is . . . this is my "New" favorite road! thumbsup.gif

222944989-XL.jpg

What the flat image doesn't show is the rolling roller coaster elevation changes! I caught air a few times going forwards and backwards! grin.gif

It also caught both Carl and I going over one rise when the road took a blind turn to the right on the other side. eek.gif

This is part of the famous "snow loop" which is sometimes covered in snow depending on the weather right before the weekend. Oh, and the other half isn't bad either! cool.gif

222950089-XL.jpg

Made it back home about 3PM and JohnRT was still on the road to Tucson-- we had a great run back to Arizona and had a ball with all the bunch-- Looking forward to a great MLK weekend in January

Ok here we go, I will try my best to post these pictures: Image-C454C4AA965311DC.jpg

Riding into Death Valley Friday Morning.

Image-C45369E0965311DC.jpg

Don(MrDuck) pointed these wild rocks out to me and I though they were pretty cool.

Image-C453A90A965311DC.jpg

Mark(Heck) and I went out and got the bikes dirty and I have to say we had a blast.

Image-C453C660965311DC.jpg

Image-C453DFCC965311DC.jpg

This was at TeaKettle Junction and HECK made sure to put in a few cents because he was getting a little low on the fuel.

Image-C453F994965311DC.jpg

Image-C4542BB3965311DC.jpg

Ok,here are the moving rocks at the Racetrack in DV. I have to say I was a little unsure about all of this in the beginning.

Image-C45444AA965311DC.jpg

Here is the first moving rock I saw and I was thinking this is Bull. What would you think if you saw this? I said this is a tourist trap and I rode 30 miles on a gravel road to see this!

Image-C45412BE965311DC.jpg

Heck and myself drove around the the Racetrack where we found these rocks and I believe these move around. I am glad we pressed on because these rocks are really cool and it makes for good conversation.

Image-C45479BE965311DC.jpg

Heck and my bike off the slab.

Image-C45492C7965311DC.jpg

Ubehebe Crater

Image-C454E250965311DC.jpg

Cool Post Office with a dirt bike parking!!! clap.gif

Image-C454FF08965311DC.jpg

Hanging out with other bikers, but they could not keep up so they did not make it to Beatty,NV with us.

Image-C4551873965311DC.jpg

I just thought this picture of the White Butterfly Saloon was cool. MrDuck I can not remember the name of this town and you must have told me three or four times.

Well, I had a great time and I enjoyed hangout with friends. The riding was great and I am not sure we ever did the speed limit. I do know that no one received a PA.

Enjoy and look forward to the next ride.

[edit: fixed pic link]

In at about 18:00 hours after taking the back way home and leaving my wingman stranded in the middle of the desert with a dead rear tire! blush.gif...

I just talked to him and he's stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic (big accident on the I-15) in a tow truck in Riverside and though Malcolm Smith's is open until 19:00, it's doubtful that he'll get there, unload the bike, and remove the rear wheel in time for them to do much until tomorrow. So, we'll look for his check-in then! thumbsup.gif

Well, Jamie, you didn't count on the great guys at Malcolm Smith's. We pulled in there at 6:45, and before the tow paperwork was done, three guys came out. They unloaded my bike and immediately wheeled it into the shop, and told me to go the parts counter where my tire was waiting (it seems the whole shop knew my story and was expecting me!). Their service dept. was officially closed, but it seems Malcolm doesn't mind his employees using the shop to help a traveler in need, and collecting a little cash on their own. So my tire was duly paid for and mounted, I used the in-store ATM to get some cash for the tech, and then I was on my way. I got home at 9:00! It was expensive, but it beat waiting in 29 Palms until Tuesday!

168 was indeed a hoot and a half! And I had a great time with everybody on Saturday night, too. Thanks to everybody for making it a great trip!

Todd, I think that's Randsburg in your pictures.

Bill,

I am glad you are home and safe. Sorry you had all the trouble this weekend but I am glad you were there and I had a great time. You are right Randsburg is the town. Thank Bill hope I can make the January ride.

I got to rest a bit today riding with Rodger and Graydude on their hippos cruising along at near the posted limit and then having to baby Bill's

That's harsh man. Rodger and I kept our speed down to single digets so as not piss off the air in Bill's tire and have it leave at the wrong time. Try to help a brother out...

In at around 2:00. Great weekend.

Here's yet another plug for the KOA roadside assistance plan (with unlimited mileage towing). He had a AAA plan and thought he had a 100 mile towing range. It turns out it's only 60 miles and the extra 35 miles will cost him three years of the KOA plan coverage. bncry.gif

Jamie, I tried my best in this thread to get everyone to check there AAA roadside coverage. I hope they're at least checking their coverages.

Looks like a great trip, hopefully come January I'll be in! thumbsup.gif

After AZ Al pealed off in Phoenix, I got in at 1630. What a great ride. Following Al on his K12RS when I'm on a GSA is tough. The aerodynamics aren't great for tripple digit rides. We were only passed by one vehicle on the whole ride. Had a great time. I think I must have been asleep on the floor when the pic was taken!!

I think I must have been asleep on the floor when the pic was taken!!

Sorry, John! Right after you left another couple joined us in the back room and we talked them into taking our picture. I edited in names and handles to my original post (thanks again to MarkEngland for the pic).

"texasaggie97" great pics, thanks! (I fixed one little space typo in the one link)

Hey Bill! That's great news about the awesome folks at Malcolm's! So glad they were able to take care of you and that you got home in one piece on the same day even! I felt really bad about leaving you out there, but even though it turned out a bit pricey, I'm glad it all came out okay in the end! clap.gif

Hey Bill! That's great news about the awesome folks at Malcolm's! So glad they were able to take care of you and that you got home in one piece on the same day even! I felt really bad about leaving you out there, but even though it turned out a bit pricey, I'm glad it all came out okay in the end! clap.gif

Yup everything cost a lot:

Fee to the tire tech: $60

One Metzeler Tourance: $203 (!!!! $136 from swmototires)

Excess mileage on the tow: $323

Riding and hanging with all you guys, and especially riding the western 20 miles of 168 three times with Jamie and Carl: priceless!

I'd do it again in a heartbeat! But I will be carefully comparing the KOA towing plan against the additional bennies we get from AAA. And now I know how much tread on a Tourance is not enough!

BTW, after I got to Malcolm's I found I had voice mail from one of the guys in the anonymous book, who actually had an old tire I could've used! But I was 2/3 of the way to Riverside when he called, and anyplace in 29 Palms that could've mounted it was already closed.

I have AAA as well with Preimer RV/Motorcycle endorsement. Cost me $25 a year and same roadside service as with cars and it gives you one 200 mile tow a year for your car or RV or bike. Just a thought.

Here's some pictures and some unsolicted remarks from the infamous DV recon ride

newfile013.jpg

This dude, by the name of Rodney, came all the way from northern Washington to join us

newfile001.jpg

These two dudes, names Todd and Carl, came with us, stopping here in Red Rock park for a photo-op

newfile010-1.jpg

I could not drag these guys away from this place in Randsburg, said it reminded them of their youth eek.gif

newfile026.jpg

This is why we have 6th gear! thumbsup.gif

Ran into Heck and Corsegold at the ranger station,where they thought they could pay speeding tickets in advance, so we took them along so's not to get into any trouble smirk.gif

Todd, great picture of the Trona sharks!

Jamie, next time ya see Corneilus, ask him about that corner on 168 from Big Pine- he will know what yer talking about wink.gif

See ya in January wave.gif

I have AAA as well with Preimer RV/Motorcycle endorsement. Cost me $25 a year and same roadside service as with cars and it gives you one 200 mile tow a year for your car or RV or bike. Just a thought.

Hmm. My AAA RV/Motorcycle is only "Plus". 60 miles was all I got.

Hmm. My AAA RV/Motorcycle is only "Plus". 60 miles was all I got.

<hijack>

Bill, I have also dealt with this issue with AAA. I posted a link earlier in this forum. It is not as it seems when it comes to 'motorcycle' coverage. I also did not find out until I needed a tow. I now have KOA service.

I know this is a thread about the Death Valley re-con ride and I apologize for heading off coarse but I want everyone to know what there roadside coverage consists of BEFORE needing to use it.

<end hi-jack>

I know this is a thread about the Death Valley re-con ride and I apologize for heading off coarse but I want everyone to know what there roadside coverage consists of BEFORE needing to use it.
It's quite okay Marco this ride is over and the thread has about run its course . . . but this sort of thing is important enough to warrant as much exposure as possible. thumbsup.gif

I've had to use my KOA coverage for my bike and recently for my Toyota truck when the clutch finally went out (with 245,000 miles on it). No hassles either time and the first bill for towing the bike just 50 miles paid for a few years of coverage. Bill was under the impression that he was covered for 100 miles so even though the closest tire was 95 miles away, we thought he'd be golden. confused.gif

The moral is definitely to know before you go. If (as Todd mentioned) you've already got AAA coverage and can upgrade to a "Premiere" plan with a 200 mile towing range for $25.00 a year then that seems like a fairly good deal. Even so, with BMW dealers pretty sparsely placed in the West, I sleep a lot more comfortably knowing I can be towed from the Texas Hill Country to Deming, NM for free if I need to be! dopeslap.gifthumbsup.gif

Ok folks, here goes my first sorry attempt at a ride tale- I’ll try to make it mercifully short..

The more astute observers may notice that I hung up my RT about a month ago and picked up a new 1200GS. PB170039.jpg What a blast!! Have been having a few issues with the lump of concrete that they jokingly call a seat, and any trip more than about 50 miles. It will be resolved hopefully by the end of the year. Certainly before MLK2008.

Anyway, I decided to “man-up” and break in either the seat or my posterior for the trip to the pre-run…

Met Coarsegold Kid Friday morning just north of Fresno and we set out for Death Valley. After a great breakfast just east of Earlimart, we moto’ed over the Sierras to 395 where we placed a promised phone call to Mr. Duck and his bunch of hooligans. The Kid and I figured that they were prolly sucking down Suds in Beatty by this time, but lo and behold, we caught up to them at Stovepipe Wells after a brisk ride up through the Panamint Valley. PB180044.jpg

Had a close encounter with a Military bomber type aircraft going up through the valley at about 500 ft Altitude. Funny thing though, after that my GPS froze up and I had to power it down completely to reset…. I’m sure the two events were not related…[theme from Twilight Zone inserted here]

Saturday, Todd (TexasAggie) and I decided to set out for the racetrack to see the rocks that move around by themselves…We knew that there would be a certain amount of off road riding to get there, but hey the rangers said we were riding the right bikes for the job.Image-C45479BE965311DC.jpg

After a kind of wobbly start (as I haven’t done much dirt riding in my life) and some well needed instructions in the art of off road riding from Todd, we traveled out to the Racetrack and took pictures of the rocks that moved on their ownImage-C45412BE965311DC.jpg

and those that had a little help.PB170022.jpg

On the way back, a stop at Teakettle Junction for a few picturesPB170033.jpg

and a donation to the Gas Money pot

PB170034.jpg

as I was starting to get a little concerned about fuel, I happened to notice that the rear wheel was at the wrong angle to the fender. On closer inspection, I found one bolt sheared off, one bolt missing, and the fender hanging by one bolt that was almost backed out. Time to take it off and bungee it back on the bike for the rest of the trip back.

Running that off road was a blast- Thanks to TexasAggie for eating all that dust. It shoulda been me.

BTW, that Gas Money pot donation wouldn’t have saved me- We detoured over to Stovepipe Wells on the way back to get a little more gas just in case- proved to be a good move, as I would have been a little short.

Back to Beatty for a great evening with the guys and a lesson from the Master, Maxi Headroom on the pool table. Good times were had by all…

BTW, the seat still hasn’t broken in…The posterior is healing....

We’ll see you all in January- Looking forward to a great time! Image-C453C660965311DC.jpg

Ok folks, here goes my first sorry attempt at a ride tale- I’ll try to make it mercifully short..
Awesome first effort, Mark! clap.gif

Back to Beatty for a great evening with the guys and a lesson from the Master, Maxi Headroom on the pool table. Good times were had by all…
Hah! Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then! lmao.gif

It was good to meet everyone. Below is my website with all the PICs and Mapsource files. The PICs and MapSource files can be downloaded in a single ZIP file also.

I hope my schedule changes so I can make the 2008 ride and share some more 'Cheeseless' pizza with everyone.

Next time I will bring my Canon 30D that I normally bring, but decided not to for some reason and get better PICs for everyone.

http://www.kc6tew.com/dayrides/2007predvd/2007predvdride.html

Mark

Archived