IGNORED

Leo's South in MSP

redryder

I had my K1200LT up in Minnesota last week (Nov 7) while on a 2300 mile trip. I normally change my own oil in both the LT and the RT, but as I was travelling without any support, I chose to have the oil and trans fluid changed by a dealer. A friend suggested Leo's South, so I made an appointment and dropped the bike off for an oil change (providing my own Mobil 1) and a transmission fluid change, telling them I wanted BMW synthetic 75W90 in the gear box. (After all, GL5, or 80W90 is what the Maintenance manual calls for). The service was done, along with a few other things (checked my brake pads and cleaned my radio display which had clouded pretty badly) and when I got back to my bike, I found a full half quart of oil setting pretty on the saddlebag. Usually, I put the full 3.8 quarts in the bike, but I didn't think much of it other than I'd have to check it soon and add to it.

The next day found me driving south and stopping 73 miles north of St. Louis. After unloading my gear, I checked the oil fully expecting it to be low in the sight glass. Much to my surprise, the sight glass was completely full with no air bubble at all; and as an added surprise, the oil was black! Wow, what's going on? The next morning, after sitting all night in 40 degree weather, the sight glass was still full and no air was in sight. Placing the bike on the side stand did put the oil at the bottom of the sight glass, but it is still over full. Now, mind you, I don't think the oil being this full is harmful, or even a bad thing, but I change the oil 2 or 3 times a year and I don't get the oil level this high unless I put in the full 4 quarts. So, why is my oil level so high? And, why is my oil already black after only 500 miles? This is not normal for my LT. I am suspect that my oil filter did not get changed. Dan, the service manager, emphatically states that it was changed, and when I asked why the oil level is unusually high, not to mention very dark for fresh oil, he could only surmise that perhaps all the old oil wasn't drained out. Either way, it was a crappy oil change.

After getting home, I checked my reciept for my $135.00 stop to find that I was only charged for filter; not a crush washer for the drain plug or an O ring for the filter cover. My local dealer charges for a filter kit when they do an LT oil change. Also, after closer examination, Leo's also filled my transmission with 75W140. Now, my purpose here is not to start yet another thread on oil viscosity, but rather to lament on a dealer servicing my bike with oil I did not want. I expressly asked when I made the service appointment, and when I dropped the bike off if they had BMW 75W90 synthetic. When I explained to Dan (service manager) that the transmission oil was not what I wanted, he told me that that's what they use, and don't have any issues with it. When I told him that my service manual calls for 80W90, my local dealer's master tech calls for 80W90, and even Paul Glaves has written more than a few articles about using the proper weight oil in your BMW, Dan was unimpressed and stuck to his guns.

The bottom line: I paid an alleged BMW dealership to perform a service. I don't mind paying $135.00 for this service, that is not my complaint. My complaint is that I firmly believe this service was not performed correctly and to my clear instructions.

Thank you for letting me rant, and I assure you that I will not be using Leo's service at anytime in the future. I caution anyone else that may be thinking of going there to give it careful reconsideration.

BTW, this is the service department that told me, emphatically, that BMW clearly calls for oil to be changed every 3K miles. I told the tech that the service interval in both my RT and LT manual called for a 6K service interval. I was told that the oil must be changed between each service interval. That is true if the bike is ridden in cold temperatures and in mostly stop and go driving, but when I put 15K on the LT and 20K on the RT each year, I don't think that I fall under that caveat.

Just food for thought.

This is why I do all my own service. They just can't seem to get it right around here. I've had my bike at three local BMW facilities in the metro area and neither of them ever got it right. It's really disappointing. tongue.gif I'm embarrassed that you had this experience....

I think the problem is all those dealerships in MN. do very little in BMW sales and service.

take Moon motorsports very good dealer but most there sales are 4 wheelers and snowmobiles. the same guy working on your BMW just serviced 3 honda 4 wheelers before yours and 2 Yamaha snowmobiles after.

But in MN. its hard to get just a BMW motorcycle dealer when the riding season is only 8 months long

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Earl Moon is the head BMW GURU GOD of the dealership and prefers working on BMWs over everything else, he does very very little on 4 wheelers and snowmobiles.

Sorry to hear about your experience. When my wife and I moved back to Minnesota from Southern California about 2.5 years ago - a number of riders (who didn't even reside in Minnesota) highly recommended Moon's (Moon Motorsports) in Monticello to me. By concidence, it is also the closest dealer to where we live.

In the time we've been here, I've taken my bikes to Moon's and cannot say enough about the quality of their service. Earl Moon really knows his stuff - and when we still had our LT & FJR - and now just the GS -- I can't say enough about their attention to detail. I've found everytime they always tend to do the 'extra little things' that I didn't even notice or forgot to mention - no charge. Bike always returned cleaned and in tip top shape. There have been a few times I've been in a last minute pinch on a Saturday morning - and everytime they've always said, "No problem - stop by and we'll fit you in."

Family run business - with very much of a small town mom and pop feel.

True, they are a multi-line dealership that offers seasonal products (most do in this part of the country) BMW, Honda, Yamaha, Polaris (Bikes, Sleds, ATV's, UTV's) ... and their BMW selection is smaller than what I was used to coming from Southern California (Brown Motorworks) - but their service has been phenominal, and I didn't even buy my current bike from them.

Moon's is in the process of building a spectacular new dealership - not too far from their current store - which is slated to have a much expanded BMW 'Store Within A Store'. Will be really nice to have that in this area.

Next time you're in the Twin Cities - I'd recommend Moon's as well.

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Earl Moon is the head BMW GURU GOD of the dealership and prefers working on BMWs over everything else, he does very very little on 4 wheelers and snowmobiles.

is there a even a moon still working there I know the moon family sold it in 1971.

I know for a fact they go weeks without servicing BMW's so if there is a moon in the service dept he does work on more other stuff then BMW. I bought 5 4 wheelers from them over a 15 year period.

I bought my '05 R1200RT at Leo's and have been pleased with the whole experience. I live about 90 miles away from the shop and they have been very accommodating about getting me in for service. I haven't had any problems (knock on wood) with the bike - just the 600 mile and 6000 mile check-ups, though. I had shown up unscheduled to have a new tire put on (twice) on a previous beemer and they got me in and out in about 60 to 90 minutes. I've been very happy with Leo's.

Archived