IGNORED

What BMW says, what BMW means...

Eschelon1

This goes back aways but it still nags at me today. In 1995 BMW started phasing out the K75 and was discontinued in 1998. BMW said it was because the K75 cost almost as much to build as the K100/1100 (Although the 4 valve head never made it to the triple), but they couldn't sell it anywhere near the selling price of the K100/1100.

Fast forward a year or two, with the R1100's in production, BMW announces the R850. In Europe, they built an R850RT that looks just like the 1100/1150RT. 'Cept for smaller pistons, the 850 must have cost exactly what it cost to build the 1100, but yet it would have to be priced lower accordingly to sell.

What we have hear is a failure to communicate. So.... what does BMW really mean when they say there is no problem with the Final Drives?

Just wonderin'

wave.gif

This goes back aways but it still nags at me today. In 1995 BMW started phasing out the K75 and was discontinued in 1998. BMW said it was because the K75 cost almost as much to build as the K100/1100 (Although the 4 valve head never made it to the triple), but they couldn't sell it anywhere near the selling price of the K100/1100.

I can understand that

Fast forward a year or two, with the R1100's in production, BMW announces the R850. In Europe, they built an R850RT that looks just like the 1100/1150RT. 'Cept for smaller pistons, the 850 must have cost exactly what it cost to build the 1100, but yet it would have to be priced lower accordingly to sell.

Yes indeed, the R850 was a reduced insurance special for certain European markets that penalise over 850cc bikes - The Netherlands for example. The R850 motor could be restricted to 33BHP for learner rider reasons.

I do not see the failure to communicate here?????

What we have hear is a failure to communicate. So.... what does BMW really mean when they say there is no problem with the Final Drives?

Not what they mean obviously - and there have been problems in the final drive area e.g.excessive play in the press fit components of the rear hub-carrier - from day 1! and BMW is different in this regard from other manufacturers in what way?...

Just wonderin'

wave.gif

I am sure that you are aware that the next failure to communicate is that the new F650GS is in fact an 800cc motorcycle!

Archived